Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2016

Post by Fragems »

1. 9 Hours 9 Persons 9 Doors (DS)
2. The Order 1886 (PS4)
3. The Division (PS4)
4. Until Dawn (PS4)
5. The Crew Wild Run Edition (PS4)

Why oh why ubisoft do you have to crap all over ideas with a ton of potential. Basically The Crew is a open world "MMO" racing game with a story line following a car game across a minaturized U.S. that is about 80 to 100 miles wide from east to west coast. The main story probably takes around 20 hours to beat and the extras and wild run probably double or triple that play time. However the game design is total garbage.

Games Problems:
1. It's got RPG elements for the cars. Which while sounding cool leads to one resounding problem how do you make a car work with an RPG system? Well in this case by making it drive like shit till the higher lvls :lol: . There is also a huge problem with cars that are 20+ points above you nearly being unbeatable unless they make a mistake or you create your own short cut.
2. Customization is crap as well. You would think that a racing game with RPG elements would have you putting alot of thought into tunning/customizing your car. However there is little to no visual difference between parts and as you earn parts their quality is solely represented by a single number and possibly a randomly selected bonus on the Silver/Gold parts.
3. This game has some of the worst car physics I've ever seen in a game we are talking about having to go all the way back to the PS1/N64 to find anything remotely similar to this low level of quality. Cars are basically attached to the road and when they do manage to get in the air the game on occasion freaks out. It's very similar to what you would expect from say a cart racing game just broken to the point that you can clip into stuff or get stuck in really awkward positions :lol: .
4. The rewards system is horrible for the main story missions there is no reward for anything less then first place. Either you win each story objective or you have to restart. Which happens a ton due to cheap AI tricks and pretty much any player error on the narrow traffic field roads knocking you out of a race.
5. The AI which is horrible. The AI seems to have a hard time interpreting the space around it. On many occasion I had AI T-Bone me in the middle of a curve because they didn't break at all which in the story missions usually meant a restart since it would buy enough time for 3-4 cars to pass you and get a solid lead and as I said before the mission ends the second the first car passes the finish line with no rewards for anyone not in first place.
Other times it will work to your benefit for instance one of the final races involves a narrow two lane road with some ridiculous curves that goes on for about 15-20 miles. During the race I would have stood no chance if not for the curves. My car was 20-50 points over every car in the race but some of the cars had insane acceleration and were launching past me on the open stretches. That didn't really matter though since on every curve at least 2-3 out of the 5 AI opponents were slamming into the guard rails, spinning out, or nailing a civilian car. The only thing that kept them in the race was the broken respawn system which thanks to Ubisoft is nearly useless for the player but respawns AI vehicles about 1/3rd of a mile ahead of their accident meaning vehicles will literally pop into existence in front of you on occasion when it's a close enough race.
6. Multiplayer I played the story completely solo since I figured grouping with a crew would make things even more chaotic and the one time I did group up early in the game it matched me with someone who was lvl capped and was only interested in events that were locked for me :roll: . After hitting lvl cap and beating the story I decided to join some PVP lobbies, but didn't care much for it basically there are just general lobbies rather then specific ones for the different game modes. So games are selected pretty much at random basically everyone in the lobby chooses a game type / map and then the game does a little roulette spin and randomly picks one. When I was playing that resulted in playing a type of car tag king of the hill game which involved people ramming each other for the "crown" then having race around a rather restricted map trying to avoid other drivers which was fun at first, but got old fast. I really wanted to just do some races but I ended up in that mode another three times before I gave up.
7. Navigation is an issue. Not so much because it's difficult but there is no real punishment for going off course. This is pretty funny late game because there are quite a few times "dirt" missions involving mountains with Curvy roads going down them. The game intends for you to take 3-4 s curves before reaching the bottom of most mountains, but the only thing you are required to go through are the check points which are really space out so essentially you can just steer off the edge of the cliff and just go straight down the hill saving yourself 20-30 seconds and totally destroying the difficulty of the time trial.
8. Damage is really off in the game. Your car shows physical wear but nothing short of ramming an object at 150+ mph or falling 200+ feet will actually result in a re spawn being triggered. Plus the vehicles abilities don't seem to be hindered by damage and they regenerate over time making the whole pay for repairs systems utterly pointless. There are also a few missions that involve you crashing an enemy which is really fun given that it take 4-5 solid rams to get someone off the road and you usually only have 2-3 minutes to do it which is insanely difficult unless you try multiple times and remember their path since they are always faster then you and have a tendency to make 90 degree turns frequently making you bleed away all your speed.

Things they did right:
1. The map is really nice. While there are many bland areas and the graphics aren't anything to right home about there is a pretty large map here that isn't randomly generated.
2. The online play is really smooth for the most part. There were always 10 or so other players driving in my instance of the world whenever I was in free drive mode and the few times I did try multiplayer the connections were really fast. Although like with the Division I was getting matched up with a ton of Europeans for whatever reason.
3. If you like challenges and leader boards this game is chalked full of them. There are hundreds of skill challenges all over the map and all you have to do is cruise through their gate while driving to trigger them. There is no load time or delay(unless you are restarting) so they are a very fluid experience and give you something to do while exploring the map.

Altogether though this is probably one of the worst racing games I've played in a few generations so unless you really want to just waste some time with it I'd avoid it. I paid around $16 for it and I'd say I wouldn't recommend it for anything over $10. Honestly most games from 2-3 gens ago are much better designed then this.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

I thought The Crew was a pretty meh racing game, but a fantastic driving game. I had a blast driving around aimlessly, taking in the scenery and doing stupid stuff like seeing how long I could drive the wrong way on the highway.
Fragems
Next-Gen

Post by Fragems »

As a driving game it isn't to bad one of the first things I did was circle the border of the U.S. which was fun while it lasted. The Skill challenges really keep things interesting on those longer drives. Still think I like Fuel a little better for just driving around aimlessly listening to an internet radio stream though. Still need to try out Forza Horizon and Burnout Paradise some time.
Key-Glyph
Next-Gen

Post by Key-Glyph »

Alien April. Ahahahaha. Love it.

So here's my question about Dino Crisis vs. Resident Evil. Is Dino Crisis more stressful because of the different mechanics (e.g. enemies pursuing you through doors), or is the dinosaur angle immersion-breaking and therefore less anxious?

BogusMeatFactory wrote:If I could powder my copies of shenmue and snort them I would
Fragems
Next-Gen

Post by Fragems »

To further cement how garbage The Crew is I just participated in a mission that involved a cross country race which took nearly an hour. In the last 5 miles an AI car pitted me out of first and I ended up in 5th at the finish. My reward for my effort was a nice big "Mission Failed" screen with a retry option :lol: .

If the all of the missions didn't feel like 7v1 it might be enjoyable.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

Key-Glyph wrote:Alien April. Ahahahaha. Love it.

So here's my question about Dino Crisis vs. Resident Evil. Is Dino Crisis more stressful because of the different mechanics (e.g. enemies pursuing you through doors), or is the dinosaur angle immersion-breaking and therefore less anxious?

I didn't find the dinosaur angle to be immersion breaking. In general I found that there were less individual encounters than in an RE game; when you play RE you expect there to be a zombie in every room. In Dino Crisis they're limited to specific areas, where one spot would be their resting location and then they might have one or more areas they can follow you into. The fact that they respawn increases some tension due to you not being sure if a hallway/room you cleared is still safe, but at the same time it can also be frustrating when you know a hall has a dinosaur and you need to go through it a few times. The dinosaurs are much faster than the zombies, so dodging them is not always feasible.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

1. Shadow Warrior - Playstation 4 - January 1
2. The Order: 1886 - Playstation 4 - January 2
3. Dead Rising: Chop Till You Drop - Wii - January 3
4. NyxQuest: Kindred Spirits - WiiWare - January 4
5. Hatsune Miku: Project DIVA F 2nd - Vita - January 5
6. Shadow the Hedgehog - Gamecube - January 9
7. Fairy Bloom Freeia - Steam - January 10
8. Petit Novel Series: Harvest December - 3DS - January 13
9. Gas Guzzlers Extreme - Steam - January 14
10. Muramasa: The Demon Blade - Wii - January 16
11. Project Zero 2: Wii Edition - Wii - January 19
12. Killzone: Liberation - PSP - January 20
13. Sin & Punishment: Star Successor - Wii - January 20
14. Kirby's Epic Yarn - Wii - January 24
15. Sakura Wars: So Long, My Love - Wii - January 25
16. Corpse Party - PSP - January 25
17. Freedom Planet - Wii U - January 25
18. Earth Defense Force 2: Invaders from Planet Space - Vita - January 25
19. Silent Hill: Homecoming - Xbox 360 - January 26
20. Life is Strange - Playstation 4 - January 28
21. Corpse Party: Book of Shadows - PSP - February 2
22. Megadimension Neptunia VII - Playstation 4 - February 12
23. Dr. Discord's Conquest - NES - February 13
24. Corpse Party: Blood Drive - Vita - February 17
25. If My Heart Had Wings - Steam - February 18
26. Missing: An Interactive Thriller - Steam - February 18
27. Her Story - Steam - February 18
28. Fire Emblem Fates: Birthright - 3DS - February 26
29. Saints Row 2 - Steam - March 1
30. Saturday Morning RPG - Playstation 4 - March 3
31. Fire Emblem Fates: Conquest - 3DS - March 6
32. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze - Wii U - March 8
33. Pokken Tournament - Wii U - March 20
34. Moe Chronicle - Vita - March 22
35. Tom Clancey's The Division - Playstation 4 - March 23
36. Yoshi's New Island - 3DS - March 28
37. Alien Rage - Steam - April 1
38. Alien Breed: Impact - Steam - April 2
39. Alien Breed 2: Assault - Steam - April 3
40. Alien Breed 3: Descent - Steam - April 3
41. Bravely Second: Ballad of the Three Cavaliers - 3DS - April 6

Given that the demo for Bravely Second is a separate story and independent (albeit short) game, I'm counting it here. Basically this serves to get you ready for Bravely Second and, for those of us who played Bravely Default when it first came out years ago, remind you of the game mechanics and controls.

The demo's story follows three of Pope Anges's cavaliers - Yew, Janne, and Nikolai. There have been reports of mysterious goings-on near the Temple of Wind, so Anges sends these three cavaliers to investigate the situation. Along the way, they meet a super adorable French moon alien named Magnolia.

If you've played Bravely Default, then you know exactly what to expect. It's basically your typical JRPG but with the "Brave" and "Default" mechanics adding a twist to the game. Each turn, your characters gain one BP, and you can store up to a maximum of 3. If you choose to "Default" (it's really just guard), you can gain an extra BP that turn as well as take less damage from enemy attacks that turn. With the exception of certain special attacks, every action takes one BP. You can also choose to "Brave" up to four times, however, which uses an extra BP but allows you to take an extra action. It's important to know, also, that you can run a deficit of up to -4 BP, but if you go into negatives, you can't take any action until you get back to 0.

So, for example, let's say you Default three turns until you start a turn with 3 BP. You can Brave four times and make four attacks that turn. You'll end the turn with -1 BP, so you'll be able to attack again the next turn since you'll be back at 0. You could also, however, Brave four times at the very start of the battle and attack four times on your first turn, but you'll end the turn with -4 BP, so you wouldn't be able to do anything for three turns. If you did that with all four characters, you could attack 16 times in the first turn, but it's a gamble. If you can beat every enemy in that turn, you're good because your BP reset to 0 after the battle. If an enemy is left, however, all four of your characters become defenseless punching bags for the next three turns.

The last risk-vs-reward battle quirk that I REALLY love for grinding is the option to chain battles. If you end a battle in one turn, you can choose to fight a follow-up battle immediately for boosted experience. Every time you do this, the percentage boost increases. Two battles nets you 1.5x, the third gets you 1.8x, then 2x, 2.2x, 2.4x, 2.6x, 2.8x, and 2.9x before maxing out at 3x. When you finally end your chain, either by choice or by being unable to finish a battle in one turn, the gold, exp, and job xp earned from your battles are totaled and then multiplied by whatever multiplier you earned. Doing this, setting the battle speed to 4x, and setting it to autobattle, it's really easy to grind while doing something else, even on weak enemies since the multiplier increases the exp earned.

If you're on the fence about Bravely Second or haven't played the first one and wonder if you'd enjoy it, give this demo a download and play through it. Even taking your time with it and trying to complete everything, it won't take you more than 10 hours, and it's a self-contained story, so you don't have to worry about being confused with what's going on if you haven't played the first game.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

1. Shadow Warrior - Playstation 4 - January 1
2. The Order: 1886 - Playstation 4 - January 2
3. Dead Rising: Chop Till You Drop - Wii - January 3
4. NyxQuest: Kindred Spirits - WiiWare - January 4
5. Hatsune Miku: Project DIVA F 2nd - Vita - January 5
6. Shadow the Hedgehog - Gamecube - January 9
7. Fairy Bloom Freeia - Steam - January 10
8. Petit Novel Series: Harvest December - 3DS - January 13
9. Gas Guzzlers Extreme - Steam - January 14
10. Muramasa: The Demon Blade - Wii - January 16
11. Project Zero 2: Wii Edition - Wii - January 19
12. Killzone: Liberation - PSP - January 20
13. Sin & Punishment: Star Successor - Wii - January 20
14. Kirby's Epic Yarn - Wii - January 24
15. Sakura Wars: So Long, My Love - Wii - January 25
16. Corpse Party - PSP - January 25
17. Freedom Planet - Wii U - January 25
18. Earth Defense Force 2: Invaders from Planet Space - Vita - January 25
19. Silent Hill: Homecoming - Xbox 360 - January 26
20. Life is Strange - Playstation 4 - January 28
21. Corpse Party: Book of Shadows - PSP - February 2
22. Megadimension Neptunia VII - Playstation 4 - February 12
23. Dr. Discord's Conquest - NES - February 13
24. Corpse Party: Blood Drive - Vita - February 17
25. If My Heart Had Wings - Steam - February 18
26. Missing: An Interactive Thriller - Steam - February 18
27. Her Story - Steam - February 18
28. Fire Emblem Fates: Birthright - 3DS - February 26
29. Saints Row 2 - Steam - March 1
30. Saturday Morning RPG - Playstation 4 - March 3
31. Fire Emblem Fates: Conquest - 3DS - March 6
32. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze - Wii U - March 8
33. Pokken Tournament - Wii U - March 20
34. Moe Chronicle - Vita - March 22
35. Tom Clancey's The Division - Playstation 4 - March 23
36. Yoshi's New Island - 3DS - March 28
37. Alien Rage - Steam - April 1
38. Alien Breed: Impact - Steam - April 2
39. Alien Breed 2: Assault - Steam - April 3
40. Alien Breed 3: Descent - Steam - April 3
41. Bravely Second: Ballad of the Three Cavaliers - 3DS - April 6
42. Quantum Break - Xbox One - April 7

Quantum Break is a unique game that attempts to bridge the gap between video game and television series, and it does it in a very unique way. Now at first, I was really unsure how I felt about this. If I want to watch TV, I'll watch TV; if I'm playing a video game, it's because I want to play a video game. Right? But the more I played the game, the more I started to warm up to the idea.

The basics of the plot are that you help an old friend of yours with an experiment involving temporal manipulation, but you guys *accidentally* tear a whole in space-time. Big, evil corporation paramilitary guys show up and try to kill you, drama ensues, bang bang third person shooter. What makes this more than just a generic third person shooter is the time manipulation powers you get from being exposed to the magical time radiation. You can do stuff like reverse time in a localized place (only in certain situations, not in battle), freeze a specific enemy, create a temporal "shield" to catch bullets, freeze time and move around the battlefield briefly, et cetera; and certain parts of the game take place in "stutters" where time has stopped but, because of your exposure to magical time radiation, you can still move around. Basically Life is Strange plus guns minus adorable main character.

The game is broken into five acts, each one roughly 60 to 90 minutes long where you play as Jack Joyce, the game's protagonist. After each act, you have a "Junction" where you play as Paul Serene, the game's antagonist, for maybe 10 minutes and make a choice. That's where the cool stuff comes in. The choice you make will affect the rest of the game dramatically. After each Junction is a 30 minute or so episode of an actual live-action show, and the episode that you see depends on the choices you made during the Junction, and some of the minor scenes may be included or excluded based on extra story events and items that you find during the levels. It takes the "Your actions affect the rest of the game" concept and crank it up to 11.

That's the part that I wasn't sure how I felt about at first - the episodes. Don't get me wrong, it's super cool. It just felt a little disjointed at first. I'd spent over an hour playing this pretty solid third person shooter in some fairly high action fights, and then I'd spend half an hour watching a TV show. Then I'd spend another hour-and-some-change playing. As the story gets going, though, you get so wrapped up in the plot that it becomes REALLY cool to see your decisions in the game affect what live action performance you're shown. It's certainly not going to be to everyone's taste, but I definitely applaud the developers for trying something different and, in my opinion, doing it quite well.

Now the game's not perfect. I've got a couple of major gripes. The game runs in 720p at 30 FPS. Normally that wouldn't be a big deal - I'm not a graphics whore - but for a machine that Microsoft brags about being so ridonkulously powerful, I feel like it should do better, and based on other Xbox One games I've played, I think it could have if the developers were more skilled with coding for the console. That's just a minor complaint, though; my big grip is with plot holes.

Either I'm an idiot, or there are a couple of REALLY big things left unexplained. I'm not talking like the end of Star Trek: Nemesis where we're all left wondering "Is Data really dead, or can they bring him back?" I'm talking like you watch Khan explode in the USS Reliant and then see him as a belly dancer on Risa three movies later. Like, how even? That level of plot hole. There's only one or two of those, though. The biggest plot gripe I have is a personal one that many may find frivolous - they did the bullshit end on a cliffhanger to set up a sequel crap. I HATE that stuff. Tell your damn story, and finish your damn story. If it sells well enough to warrant a sequel, write a new damn story. Don't leave me on a cliffhanger assuming I'll give a damn about what happens next.

Now what might be a big complaint for some people but didn't bother me is the length. Even including the live action parts, the game is only roughly 10 hours long. That's only about 8 hours or so of gameplay. I, personally, prefer a game tell its story in however long it takes and not extend that artificially just for the sake of having a longer game. Then again, I loved The Order: 1886 for the same reason - it did what it came to do in the time it took to do it, and it didn't needlessly drag it out. Some people will say - and I totally understand the feeling - that a game that costs $60 should provide more than a few short hours of entertainment. You're not wrong. However, given the huge replay value that the story branches give it, Quantum Break more than makes up for the length IMO.

If you're really into temporal sci-fi, check this game out. If you're a TV buff, check this game out. If you want an excuse to dust off the Xbox One since you play all of your multiplats on PS4 since it runs them better, check this one out. It's not a masterpiece, and I'd suggest waiting until the price drops to $40, but I enjoyed this one.

Also as a side note, if you have the game installed on your Xbox One, you can download the 78 GB or so "episode pack" that has all of the television parts if you just want to watch them each without replaying through a game a bunch of times. Not sure how it works on the PC version.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

Gamerforlife
Next-Gen

Post by Gamerforlife »

It actually offends me that people compare this piece of crap to the great games Konami made in the 90s. What are those people smoking? Turtles in Time on the SNES and Manhattan Project on NES shit all over this overrated piece of shit. These are the same developers who made the also overrated Scott Pilgrim game, and it shows. It plays a lot like that garbage. I think I'll try the 2003 GBA game a.k.a. the one made by Konami and not those hacks at Ubisoft Montreal.

Now unlike that piece of shit excuse for a Turtles game, Thor on the DS by Wayforward is actually a fun beat 'em up that I could easily recommend. I played through it twice and found all of the runes.
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
Seriously. Screw you Shao Kahn I'm gonna play Animal Crossing.
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

Post by PartridgeSenpai »

ElkinFencer10 wrote:If you're really into temporal sci-fi, check this game out. If you're a TV buff, check this game out. If you want an excuse to dust off the Xbox One since you play all of your multiplats on PS4 since it runs them better, check this one out. It's not a masterpiece, and I'd suggest waiting until the price drops to $40, but I enjoyed this one.

Also as a side note, if you have the game installed on your Xbox One, you can download the 78 GB or so "episode pack" that has all of the television parts if you just want to watch them each without replaying through a game a bunch of times. Not sure how it works on the PC version.

Would you recommend this to someone like me, who doesn't really like third or first person shooters, but really enjoys something like Heavy Rain? I'm just hesitant to spend 40+ bucks on a newer console/PC game when that money could go toward more 3DS RPG's ;p
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me