Games Beaten 2016

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2016

Post by Xeogred »

You'll get answers to your question by playing Claire's route. That said this is Ada Wong we're talking about, I don't think we'll ever have all the answers with her. :P

Besides that, I don't recall too many differences. Instead of Ada's role you get young Sherri (all grown up in RE6 haha). And I think some weird things carry over from your Leon game, like if you took the Uzi, I don't think Claire can get it, things like that.

Leon B is pretty cool though because of Mr X. Basically like a prototype version of the Nemesis concept in RE3. Big bad meanie that chases you around at times.
ExedExes
Next-Gen

Post by ExedExes »

Xeogred wrote:The obvious answer is that it's time for the Dreamcast 2.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

First 50
1. Ultimate NES Remix (3DS)
2. Space Invaders Infinity Gene (iOS)
3. World of Goo (iOS)
4. A Dark Room (iOS)
5. Shovel Knight (WII U)
6. The Room (iOS)
7. Mega Man 10 (PS3)
8. The Room Two (iOS)
9. Braid (PS3)
10. Kung Fu Fight! (WII U)
11. Kung Fu Rabbit (WII U)
12. Escape Goat (360)
13. Canabalt (iOS)
14. Leo's Fortune (iOS)
15. King's Field: The Ancient City (PS2)
16. Grim Fandango Remastered (iOS)
17. Dust: An Elysian Tale (360)
18. Shantae (GBC)
19. 3D Space Harrier (3DS)
20. 3D After Burner II (3DS)
21. 3D Classics: Kid Icarus (3DS)
22. Kid Icarus: Of Myths and Monsters (GB)
23. Shantae: Risky's Revenge Director's Cut (WII U)
24. Final Fantasy Adventure (GB)
25. Furdemption (iOS)
26. Virtua Fighter Remix (SATURN)
27. Manos The Hands of Fate (iOS)
28. Virtua Fighter 2 (PS3)
29. Fighting Vipers (PS3)
30. Ikari Warriors (PS3)
31. Virtua Cop (SATURN)
32. Virtua Cop 2 (SATURN)
33. Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars Director's Cut (iOS)
34. Virtua Racing (PS2)
35. Daytona USA (DC)
36. Sega Rally Championship (SATURN)
37. RayForce (iOS)
38. Hundreds (iOS)
39. Don't Look Back (iOS)
40. Finding Teddy (iOS)
41. Shantae & The Pirate's Curse (WII U)
42. Dragon Warrior II (GBC)
43. Guardian Heroes (360)
44. Ninja Smasher! (3DS)
45. BoxBoxBoy! (3DS)
46. 2 Fast 4 Gnomz (3DS)
47. Aeternoblade (3DS)
48. Angry Video Game Nerd Adventures (3DS)
49. Attack of the Friday Monsters! A Tokyo Tale (3DS)
50. Bloody Vampire (3DS)

51. Armillo (WII U)
52. Human Resource Machine (iOS)
53. Alone in the Dark (iOS)

ExedExes wrote:Considered a pioneer in the survival horror genre, Alone In The Dark was a good game overall but unfortunately showed its age in its graphics as well as its archaic, sometimes unintuitive command setup. But for all that, building a genre has to start somewhere, right? The atmosphere is there, and so was everything else that made this game memorable. It was a cool look into where it all began.

Ditto. :lol:

Also, the iOS port is fine, and it is only $1 in the App Store. It crashes from time-to-time for seemingly no reason (just like a real PC game!), and aside from the touch controls (which are just as crappy as the controls in the PC original), it is a straight port. The game over screen even has a "Quit to DOS" option!
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

prfsnl_gmr wrote:it is a straight port. The game over screen even has a "Quit to DOS" option!

my guess is that's because it is not a port at all. I'm guessing that it's just the original DOS game running in an iOS version of DOSBox built for touch controls.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

noiseredux wrote:
prfsnl_gmr wrote:it is a straight port. The game over screen even has a "Quit to DOS" option!

my guess is that's because it is not a port at all. I'm guessing that it's just the original DOS game running in an iOS version of DOSBox built for touch controls.

You're probably right. It features some enhanced textures, however, and the introduction now lists the team that "ported" it to iOS. I suspect that you are ultimately correct, and I suspect that the "port" is just a slightly modified version of the game running in an emulator.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

gotcha. I was going by the notion that the GOG version has that same ending screen and that it is just the original game in DOSBox. I suppose we could split hairs about what makes a port a port. And as you said, the guys that got the old game running on a new PC or Android or iOS or whatever could certainly be considered a "porting team" so...

Good talk!
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

noiseredux wrote:Good talk!

The important point is that, regardless of how you play it, the game is pretty terrible. :lol:
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

First 50:
1. Tenchi Sōzō (Super Famicom)
2. Eternal Senia (Steam)
3. Tombs & Treasure (NES)
4. Magic Knight Rayearth (Super Famicom)
5. Zelda no Densetsu: The Hyrule Fantasy (Famicom Disk System)
6. Zelda II: The Adventure of Link (NES)
7. Seiken Psycho Caliber: Majū no Mori Densetsu (Famicom Disk System)
8. Deep Dungeon: Madō Senki (Famicom Disk System)
9. Deep Dungeon II: Yūshi no Monshō (Famicom Disk System)
10. Suishō no Dragon (Famicom Disk System)
11. Dandy: Zeuon no Fukkatsu (Famicom Disk System)
12. Lagoon (SNES)
13. Contra (NES)
14. Super C (NES)
15. Wonder Boy (Sega Master System)
16. OutRun (Sega Master System)
17. OutRun (Genesis)
18. Ninja Gaiden (NES)
19. Written in the Sky (Steam)
20. Wendy: Every Witch Way (Game Boy Color)
21. Mario Bros. (NES)
22. Popeye (NES)
23. Super Mario Bros. (NES)
24. Super Mario Bros. 2 (Famicom Disk System)
25. Phantasy Star II Eusis's Text Adventure (Steam - Sega Mega Drive & Genesis Classics)
26. Phantasy Star II Nei's Text Adventure (Steam - Sega Mega Drive & Genesis Classics)
27. Phantasy Star II Rudger's Text Adventure (Steam - Sega Mega Drive & Genesis Classics)
28. Phantasy Star II Anne's Text Adventure (Steam - Sega Mega Drive & Genesis Classics)
29. Phantasy Star II Huey's Text Adventure (Steam - Sega Mega Drive & Genesis Classics)
30. Phantasy Star II Kinds's Text Adventure (Steam - Sega Mega Drive & Genesis Classics)
31. Phantasy Star II Amia's Text Adventure (Steam - Sega Mega Drive & Genesis Classics)
32. Phantasy Star II Shilka's Text Adventure (Steam - Sega Mega Drive & Genesis Classics)
33. Yume Kōjō: Doki Doki Panic (Famicom Disk System)
34. Super Mario Bros. 2 (NES)
35. Super Mario Advance (Game Boy Advance)
36. Gunman Clive (Nintendo eShop)
37. Zaxxon (Xbox 360 - Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection)
38. Zaxxon (Atari 2600)
39. Zaxxon (Intellivision)
40. Zaxxon (ColecoVision)
41. Cosmic Avenger (ColecoVision)
42. Mr. Do! (ColecoVision)
43. Pepper II (ColecoVision)
44. Kirby's Dream Land (Game Boy)
45. Sakura Spirit (Steam)
46. Ys Eternal (PC)
47. Moon Patrol (Game Boy Color - Arcade Hits: Moon Patrol & Spy Hunter)
48. Ember Kaboom (Steam)
49. Hoshi no Kābī: Yume no Izumi no Monogatari (Famicom)
50. Guardian Heroes (Saturn)

51. Akumajō Dracula (Famicom Disk System)
52. Castlevania (NES)
53. Classic NES Series: Castlevania (Game Boy Advance)
54. Guardian Heroes (Xbox Live Arcade)
55. Metal Slug (Neo Geo MVS)
56. Metal Slug 2 (Neo Geo MVS)
57. Metal Slug 3 (Neo Geo MVS)
58. Soul of Darkness (DSiWare)
59. Code of Princess (3DS)
60. Super Mario Bros. 3 (NES)
61. Super Mario Land (Game Boy)
62. The Legend of Zelda 2: Link no Bōken (Famicom Disk System)
63. Phantasy Star Online: Blue Burst (PC)
64. Shan Gui (Steam)
65. Space Fury (ColecoVision)
66. Smurf: Rescue in Gargamel's Castle (ColecoVision)
67. Gateway to Apshai (ColecoVision)
68. MURI (Steam)
69. Pink Hour (Steam)
70. Pink Heaven (Steam)
71. Planetarian: The Reverie of a Little Planet (Steam)
72. Princess Remedy in a World of Hurt (Steam)
73. Haunted House (Atari 2600)
74. Gremlins (Atari 2600)
75. Alien (Atari 2600)
76. Xenophobe (Xbox - Midway Arcade Treasures 2)
77. Frankenstein's Monster (Atari 2600)
78. Ghost Manor / Spike's Peak (Atari 2600)
79. Higurashi When They Cry Hou - Ch.1 Onikakushi (Steam)

Higurashi is a massive murder mystery media franchise that began with visual novels and later branched to manga, anime, non-VN video games, and a live action adaptation.

My first exposure to the series came some years ago, through the manga. The plot (of which the VNs and manga are identical, naturally) involves a high schooler named Keiichi who moves to a sleepy Japanese hamlet in 1983. He befriends four young ladies and seemingly leads quite an idyllic life. However, on the eve of the town's annual festival it's revealed to Keiichi that one person is murdered and another goes missing each time the festivities are held. The sources of the murders and abductions are unknown, some claim supernatural forces while others suspect the villagers themselves. In the days that follow Keiichi's friends begin to exhibit some bizarre behavior, which causes him to believe his very life may be in danger.

What's interesting is that the story (the entire Higurashi story, not just the plot of this particular game) is told in "arcs." The tale resets each time and is retold from another's perspective, and slowly more details appear to be revealed. I lost interest in the manga after 15 volumes or so, as the plot became absurd, nonsensical, and contradictory. So why bother with this game? Well, because I found the manga to be fairly gripping at its onset and assumed the game would follow suit.

Which it mostly does. Once things get rolling the game becomes downright terrifying, and I found myself plowing through the final cluster of scenarios to see what truths would be revealed (even though I semi-remembered). That said, the game starts off extremely slowly. The amount of character development is insane. You see the kids interacting normally - playing cards, hunting for treasure, joking around... for like five hours. Yeah, unfortunately only about a third of the game is truly compelling. The rest is just fluff - sure, getting to know the characters is essential but having the contents of their bento boxes described in such excruciating detail made me want to pound my head against a wall.

Some call this a "sound novel" rather than a visual novel, as the art is rather static and more emphasis is placed on soundtrack and general atmosphere. The music is absolutely gorgeous - I love the dark ambient pieces that play during the scary parts and the dull "kids clowning around" stretches were made almost bearable by the upbeat piano tracks. There are also stretches without music, with just the creepy cricking of cicadas to foreshadow certain doom. There is no voice-acting whatsoever, probably for the best.

The visuals are interesting, to say the least. The backgrounds are intentionally vague - almost like impressionist paintings - which mesh nicely with the cryptic nature of the story. The character artwork has been redone for this Steam port (the game was originally released in '02) and it looks fairly competent. Everyone is well-drawn and has several outfits/poses. You can also revert back to the original dōjin soft art which is absolutely wacky looking, with the characters all possessing huge hands and other distorted features. Here's a new vs. old artwork comparison:

There's a problem with the game text itself. It's screen-filling (covers the characters) and there's no indication as to who is saying what. Yeah, sure, I could generally deduce this based on context but it did get confusing when three or four people were conversing. To add to the chaos, the narrating character is switched at one point in the story, and the "bonus chapter" is told in the third-person! The writing (or the translation, really) is weaker than what I remember from the manga. The main narrator (Keiichi) comes across as arrogant and less sympathetic here. And there's thesaurus abuse at every corner. At one point Keiichi comments on the "verdant expanse." No, it's not a verdant expanse. It's the fucking woods.

Overall, a mixed bag. Once the story actually picked up I loved it. But the aforementioned slowness and interface issues will certainly bother some. I may check out the second installment (as I already bought it) but seeing this story through to the end likely isn't in the cards.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

prfsnl_gmr wrote:The important point is that, regardless of how you play it, the game is pretty terrible. :lol:

no doubt. I was so excited to play it on my new Win-tab w/ keyboard. But every time I think about firing it up y'know what I decide to do instead? Literally anything else.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

Higurashi is a massive murder mystery media franchise that began with visual novels and later branched to manga, anime, non-VN video games, and a live action adaptation.[/quote]

Great review! Have you played any of the Famicom murder mystery games? I did not know until recently that they existed, and while I own a few - including the one developed by Yuji Horii - I haven't played any of them yet.

noiseredux wrote:
prfsnl_gmr wrote:The important point is that, regardless of how you play it, the game is pretty terrible. :lol:

no doubt. I was so excited to play it on my new Win-tab w/ keyboard. But every time I think about firing it up y'know what I decide to do instead? Literally anything else.

Yeah...reaching the ending screen in that game gave me less a feeling of triumph than it did a feeling of relief. I immediately fired up The Room Three, and I am so happy to be playing a good game again (even if it is pretty much exactly the same as its predecessors...so far, at least).