Games Beaten 2016

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2016

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:So Arc the Lad is from the mid-90s, ten hours, 2D, and easy? I am in.

Yeah. I had no idea that it was that short. I've had a copy of the collection forever, and I may have to break it out soon (especially since my PS3 is the only console I have hooked up at the moment).

EDIT: Woah. Apparently, the next few games are 60+ hours each. It is strange that the first one is so short.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

touchofkiel wrote:I loved the Rocketeer as a kid, but probably because I also loved the movie. Good idea for new NES game to return to!

You and me both! Such a great movie. I haven't seen it in years, so maybe it's awful now, but I thought it was amazing when I saw it as a kid.

prfsnl_gmr wrote:EDIT: Woah. Apparently, the next few games are 60+ hours each. It is strange that the first one is so short.

Yeah, I believe it's because Sony was trying to get an RPG out within the launch window.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

Sarge wrote:
touchofkiel wrote:I loved the Rocketeer as a kid, but probably because I also loved the movie. Good idea for new NES game to return to!

You and me both! Such a great movie. I haven't seen it in years, so maybe it's awful now, but I thought it was amazing when I saw it as a kid.

Last year I saw it again with my brother when the theater by him was doing a retro showing of it. It actually does hold up pretty well. Like, it's pulpy as hell, but it's supposed to be. And being older I noticed things I didn't notice before, like the awesomeness of the mob and the police teaming up because it was revealed the villain was a Nazi.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

Sounds like I need to watch it again, then. Doesn't look like it's on Netflix right now, though. :(

I loved that they got the same director to do the first Captain America movie.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

prfsnl_gmr wrote:
BoneSnapDeez wrote:So Arc the Lad is from the mid-90s, ten hours, 2D, and easy? I am in.

Yeah. I had no idea that it was that short. I've had a copy of the collection forever, and I may have to break it out soon (especially since my PS3 is the only console I have hooked up at the moment).

EDIT: Woah. Apparently, the next few games are 60+ hours each. It is strange that the first one is so short.

Well it's like I've always said when Arc the Lad pops up, the first game is just about literally in every sense merely a prelude to 2. It expands upon everything, gives you full player control on maps/dungeons which is rare in the SRPG genre, and not like it's a huge spoiler but the entire cast from 1 joins your group in 2.

I guess it's a bit like Suikoden 1 and how it connects with 2, but even more directly.

I love how it worked out and just makes me see the first two as something special above the norm.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

SO YOU'RE TELLIN ME IT'S A BIT LIKE...

(OR PERHAPS...)
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

You know I can't comment on those Bone! How could you...
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

For those not quite as in tune with their inner Falcom, Golden Sun is another good comparison, although the first entry is much shorter than the second in this case. If memory serves, Golden Sun was more like 20-25 hours, and Lost Age was like 40. It's more of a 10-50 split for Arc.
darsparx
Next-Gen

Post by darsparx »

Sarge wrote:For those not quite as in tune with their inner Falcom, Golden Sun is another good comparison, although the first entry is much shorter than the second in this case. If memory serves, Golden Sun was more like 20-25 hours, and Lost Age was like 40. It's more of a 10-50 split for Arc.

I don't recall lost age being that long. Of course I didn't go completionist or grind as much as I should have for the final boss(there's a massive difficulty spike between the mobs before and it if i recall correctly). HLTB says 22 to 32 or 25 to 40(not including completionist)...
My gameroom
My systems: NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii, original gba, gba sp(001), ds lite, 3ds, vita, psp, PSone(101 model) ps2, ps3(320gb model), ps4, retron 5, and Dreamcast.

bogusmeatfactory wrote:Ever feel like a wild gazelle in the wilderness?
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

I can fill you in on my time in just a sec. *checks saves*

Hmm... nearly 30 hours on my brother's save in the first game, but mine's already clear, so I can't see the time. Pretty similar times, I'd wager, and a completionist run for sure. Aaaand... 41:03 on my last save in Lost Age.

So for me, it was like 30-40. 8)