Games Beaten 2016

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2016

Post by dsheinem »

Ack wrote:
MrPopo wrote:
Xeogred wrote:I guess doing things like putting in over 100 hours into Dark Souls 3 might slow me down a little too. :lol:

That's the real thing. NG+ing games you've already beaten or getting heavy into multiplayer will cut into your beaten percentage.

Yeah. I've beaten fewer than 15 games so far this year, but many of them were longer games, and I have been heavy into at least two multiplayer games this year. That cuts into what I get through significantly.

I feel like I am playing quite a bit less lately compared to past years...but upon second glance, perhaps not. By early June last year, I had about 50 games under my belt, this year I am only hovering around 30. However, in the years before that I was closer to 35-40 by the time June came around, so I am not that far off of that mark. I think I can still be cautiously optimistic about hitting somewhere between 70-100 games by year's end. Hell, if I can hit 65 for this year, that will put me at 600 total games beaten since I started keeping track in 2010...not bad for seven years :)
Markies
Next-Gen

Post by Markies »

1. Star Wars Rogue Squadron II: Rogue Leader (GCN)
2. Max Payne (XBOX)
3. Eternal Poison (PS2)
4. Dragon Warrior III (NES)
5. Arkanoid: Doh It Again(SNES)
6. Super Mario Brothers 2 (NES)
7. Phantasy Star Online (DC)
8. Power Stone (DC)
9. Bare Knuckle 3 (GEN)

10. Thousand Arms (PS1)

I beat Thousand Arms on the Playstation 1 this afternoon!

Thousand Arms is a rather traditional JRPG mixed with Dating Sim Elements. You play as Meis and you are training to be a Spirit Blacksmith and the only way to get stronger in Blacksmithing is by dating girls.

At its heart, the game is a very traditional JRPG. The battles are random and they are very much like the ATB of the Final Fantasy games. The characters are all very unique and have some of the best personalities that I have ever seen. I laughed several times at many different scenes and the writing breaks the fourth wall all of the time.

However, the plot is very hackneyed. The battles can be very boring as it is mostly a 1 Vs. 1 affair. Also, the 2D sprites in the 3D world look weird and it's hard to line up your character sometimes to talk or open up chests.

The game is still very enjoyable. Nothing to blow anybody away, but a rather good game if you enjoy traditional JRPG's.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

1. Sly 2 Band of Thieves HD (PS3)
2. Black (Xbox)
3. Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic (Xbox)
4. Super Mario Bros Advance 4: SMB3 E-Reader Levels (WiiUVC)
5. Galerians (PSX)
6. Shantae and the Pirate's Curse (WiiU)
7. TRAG / Hard Edge: Mission of Mercy (PSX)
8. Soul Blade (PSX)
9. Castlevania Circle of the Moon* (WiiUVC)
10. The Legend of Zelda Twilight Princess* HD (WiiU)
11. Megaman 9* (PSN)
12. Megaman 10* (PSN)
13. Dark Souls 3 (NG++) [PLATINUM] (PS4)

It is done! Took about 105 hours for me to get through NG++ and do the platinum legit without exploits (people use backup save files to get the multiple endings, lame).

DS3 feels like the weirdest one, with even less things explained compared to Bloodborne. So I definitely can't wait to see some in depth dissections of the lore on this one and piece things together. I've seen some insane theories about things.

Demon's is probably always going to be my favorite and still holds up perfectly, having just replayed it last year when I got Bloodborne and DS2 Scholar. I don't know how I would rank the games after that, but as well made as Bloodborne is (more polished than DS3 and still looks a little better, thanks to them being able to focus on one platform and tax it out), I do still like the aesthetics of Dark Souls a lot more, with its greater variety in areas and atmosphere, and all the deeper RPG mechanics. This has become not just my favorite series of the last two gens, but one of my favorites period. It's a nice evolution of Japanese developed games going back to Secret of Mana, Zelda, Metroid, and so on, but they obviously have some roots coming from Ultima Underworld with the King's Field and Shadow Tower games. I still need to dive into those. Souls is all about incredible gameplay first and awesome boss battles. It's just perfect.

10/10 and I could fangasm forever about it, but yeah another one knocked out of the park and makes most AAA releases look pretty bad in terms of how much quality is here in comparison. It's so well made.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

1. Oni - PC
2. Donkey Kong 64 - N64
3. Yoshi's Story - N64
4. Neverwinter Nights: Shadows of Undrentide - PC
5. Forsaken 64 - N64
6. Bloodrayne: Betrayal - PSN
7. Fire Emblem Seisen no Keifu - SNES
8. Fire Emblem Shin Monshō no Nazo: Hikari to Kage no Eiyū - Nintendo DS
9. Valkyria Chronicles 3 - PSP
10. Ready 2 Rumble Boxing - DC
11. Rise of the Tomb Raider - PC
12. XCOM 2 - PC
13. Shadowrun Hong Kong Bonus Campaign - PC
14. Fire Emblem Fates: Conquest - 3DS
15. Fire Emblem Fates: Birthright - 3DS
16. Lagrange Point - NES
17. Fire Emblem Fates: Revelations - 3DS
18. Cybernator - SNES
19. Outwars - PC
20. Resident Evil - GC
21. Resident Evil 2 - GC
22. Resident Evil 3 - GC
23. Resident Evil Code Veronica X - GC
24. Dino Crisis - PSX
25. Resident Evil 5 - PC
26. Dark Souls 3 - PS4
27. The Banner Saga 2 - PC
28. Bravely Second - 3DS
29. Star Fox Zero - Wii U
30. Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War - PC
31. Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War - Winter Assault - PC
32. Doom (2016) - PC
33. Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War - Dark Crusade - PC
34. Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War - Soulstorm - PC
35. Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine - PC
36. Doom 64 - N64

I just finished Actual Doom 3, better known to the layman as Doom 64. This game is the proper sequel to Doom 2 (not that darkness simulator id called Doom 3) and the ending actually ends up linking up with the latest Doom in a fashion.

Now, Doom 64 slows things down a bit compared to Doom 2, since the N64 control pad isn't the easiest to use. Fortunately, the game has full remapping for the controls, which is great because I didn't find any of the presets to make sense to me. But I was able to bind something that worked 90% of the time. The other 10% I was unfortunately wrestling with the controls trying to do some speedy precision work and not quite pulling it off.

The game has all the weapons of Doom 2 and all the monsters of Doom 1 minus the Spider Mastermind. In its place we get the Pain Elemental (fuck those guys). We also get two new enemies: a phantom imp which fires faster shots and is hard to see (like Spectres) and the final boss with a bunch of bullshit attacks. The main game is 25 levels (including the final boss) with four secret levels and three bonus levels. The bonus levels are reached through bonus menus rather than normal gameplay. The main way to get that menu is to beat the first of the secret levels. The other three secret levels power up your new weapon, the crazy laser weapon. Each of those secret levels gives you an artifact which will make the laser more powerful. They also have one other use that I will get to in a second.

The levels are a bit more on the survival horror end, with a lot more cramped spaces and everything being a bit darker than the other two games, even with the game brightness turned all the way up. This ended up leading to countless deaths due to killing myself with splash damage or failing to dodge a shot because I got caught up on something. The game also likes to spawn enemies in out of thin air and do a lot with death triggers (either to progress or to spawn more enemies). The coolest thing it does is it simulates room over room gameplay by having the floor and ceiling move up/down to allow you to go over/under a particular point; these transitions happen offscreen based on floor triggers. The whole thing is pretty seamless, so kudos to the devs.

Unfortunately, the game has a few infuriating aspects. One stage near the exit portal has a wave of enemies, then once you kill them the floor around the outside of the room drops into lava, and only after that finishes the exit unlocks. This lava has no escape, and the drop happens fairly quickly. If you don't know it's coming you're screwed, and considering the level is fairly long this feels like a real kick in the nads. There are a few other spots where triggers spawn enemies on you when you aren't expecting it, and if you're right next to them they can frequently kill you before you react. It feels cheap rather than hard. And then they did program in the Revenant fireballs, but they put them on auto turrets that launch them at an absurd rate and you won't notice they're there until they've already fired. It only shows up in two levels but it's asinine both times.

Finally, the thing that was really painful was the final boss fight. You start off with a Megasphere and Invulnerability and there are three rooms with portals that spawn a ton of enemies. Once all those enemies are dead the final boss is revealed. This is incredibly grueling and far more difficult than it should be due to the various waves that spawn. The real issue is that although the majority of the Lost Souls and Pain Elementals spawn in the first couple waves (when you're still invulnerable and can just point blank them with aoe weapons), there are a handful that spawn in later waves. This end up being a major drain on your health and keep you from being able to keep enemy numbers down with rockets, as they are super aggressive and fast and will get you killed from self splash damage. Most of my attempts ended with me trying to fight the final boss with < 50 health and armor, and that's bad times with that boss due to her attacks. The real bitch of it is that those three artifacts I mentioned? They trivialize the whole thing. Each one can prematurely close a portal, and they utterly melt the final boss. So your punishment for not being able to find cunningly hidden secret levels is a final stage that is harder in two dimensions. But I was able to finally get a good run and took her down with a few health left using my BFG.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

I freaking love Doom 64, but have only played it twice on the PC. Via the Absolution port and then more recently the EX port. You should definitely check out EX sometime to see how it compares to the original 64 release. I actually played with an Xbone controller too and it worked very well.

Agreed on the final boss being a low point. I missed all the artifacts this second time around, so it was a complete bitch to beat the final boss but I somehow managed after dying countless times.

It's a shame this was a one shot game. We have Doom, II, and all its official and unofficial expansions, but only one Doom 64 and it has a cool different look and feel. I wish more of the game was made up of the space levels, since they were really cool to me and atmospheric. But Hell easily makes up probably about 70% of the game. I'd take OG Doom's aesthetics for Hell, but for the space/sci-fi stages Doom 64 definitely has a cool look to them.

64's Super Shotgun might even be better than the original. It has some serious blowback and really feels like it completely blows up Hell Knight's into pieces.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

Games Beaten 2016

Spirits of Xanadu - PC
Tales From the Borderlands: Episode 1 - PC
Operation C - Game Boy
That Dragon, Cancer - PC
Contra - NES
Super C - NES
Contra III - The Alien Wars - SNES
Tekken - PS1
The King of Fighters '99 - PS1
Street Fighter Alpha - PS1
Call of Duty: Black Ops III - PS4
Three Fourths Home - PC
Firewatch - PS4
Street Fighter V - PS4
Far Cry: Primal - PS4
Dengeki Bunko: Fighting Climax - PS3
BlazBlue: Chrono Phantasma EXTEND - Xbox One
Android Assault Cactus - PS4
Table Top Racing - Vita
The Room - iOS
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: All-Star Battle - PS3
The Room 2 - iOS
Broforce - PS4
Toybox Turbos - PC
Peggle 2 - PS4
R-Type (R-Type Dimensions) - 360
The Room 3 - iOS
Rampage - SMS
Doom (2016) - PS4
Dungeon Siege III - - 360 *new*

Total: 30

Previously: 2015 2014 2013 2012 2011 2010

I started playing The Witch and the Hundred Knight (PS4) a while back in search of a Diablo-esque crawl, and quickly got burnt out on it. Instead, I decided to play Dungeon Siege III, which I had picked up for free as a "Games With Gold" title from a while back. It is nowhere near as good as Diablo, but it is a pretty competent dungeon crawler/ARPG, with lots of loot and leveling and the like. The story is serviceable and some of the art is nicely done and novel, and I overall enjoyed my time with it enough to consider picking up the DLC next time I see it on sale.
Markies
Next-Gen

Post by Markies »

1. Star Wars Rogue Squadron II: Rogue Leader (GCN)
2. Max Payne (XBOX)
3. Eternal Poison (PS2)
4. Dragon Warrior III (NES)
5. Arkanoid: Doh It Again(SNES)
6. Super Mario Brothers 2 (NES)
7. Phantasy Star Online (DC)
8. Power Stone (DC)
9. Bare Knuckle 3 (GEN)
10. Thousand Arms (PS1)

11. Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door (GCN)

I beat Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door on the GameCube this afternoon!

Paper Mario on the N64 was one of my favorite games of all time and one of the best on the system. I absolutely loved every moment of the game and I was really looking forward to the sequel.

The Thousand-Year Door not only met all of my expectations, but I think it may have exceeded them. It is almost a flawless game. I adore everything about the game from the art style, the story, the battles, the characters to anything else you can think of in a game. It's all there and it is utterly perfect. My favorite have to be the little touches in the game that just made me smile the entire time.

This game caused so many wonderful thoughts and feelings that I am happy to have played it. It's one of the best games and just utterly perfect and adorable!
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

1. Oni - PC
2. Donkey Kong 64 - N64
3. Yoshi's Story - N64
4. Neverwinter Nights: Shadows of Undrentide - PC
5. Forsaken 64 - N64
6. Bloodrayne: Betrayal - PSN
7. Fire Emblem Seisen no Keifu - SNES
8. Fire Emblem Shin Monshō no Nazo: Hikari to Kage no Eiyū - Nintendo DS
9. Valkyria Chronicles 3 - PSP
10. Ready 2 Rumble Boxing - DC
11. Rise of the Tomb Raider - PC
12. XCOM 2 - PC
13. Shadowrun Hong Kong Bonus Campaign - PC
14. Fire Emblem Fates: Conquest - 3DS
15. Fire Emblem Fates: Birthright - 3DS
16. Lagrange Point - NES
17. Fire Emblem Fates: Revelations - 3DS
18. Cybernator - SNES
19. Outwars - PC
20. Resident Evil - GC
21. Resident Evil 2 - GC
22. Resident Evil 3 - GC
23. Resident Evil Code Veronica X - GC
24. Dino Crisis - PSX
25. Resident Evil 5 - PC
26. Dark Souls 3 - PS4
27. The Banner Saga 2 - PC
28. Bravely Second - 3DS
29. Star Fox Zero - Wii U
30. Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War - PC
31. Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War - Winter Assault - PC
32. Doom (2016) - PC
33. Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War - Dark Crusade - PC
34. Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War - Soulstorm - PC
35. Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine - PC
36. Doom 64 - N64
37. Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II - PC

The next chapter in the tale of the Blood Ravens. Dawn of War II switches from being an RTS to RTT. You get four squads in battle, one of which is your single member commander and the other three being between three and four members big. So the scale is much smaller than DoW's. Additionally, all your units gain experience and have a variety of abilities and consumable items available. The game really stresses micromanagement, and unfortunately that's not something I'm a huge fan of. Fortunately, it ended up being mostly unnecessary outside of a couple of boss battles.

In game you can array your units behind cover and the game starts off by nicely showing you how to do it and how awesome it is. Then you get into the regular missions and you rarely get a chance to use cover. Fortunately, you have so much health and firepower that it's unnecessary. I was mostly able to steamroll through things once I was able to ditch the scout units that are supposed to be for more of the super tactical micro management.

The game has a sort of tactical map kind of like the Risk stuff rom the DoW expansions, but it's a bit more focused. Only certain theaters are available at any time, sometimes an assault, sometimes a defense. These maps have strategic objectives; you can only snag one per mission but a second mission on that map will let you get a second objective. These provide benefits for the overall campaign. It's clear the idea was to replicate some of the tension of the Risk map, but it ends up falling flat, as you will rarely fail missions and the timers are generous on getting to a defense mission. There's also no travel time between planets, so there's no reason to not just blitz through the whole campaign.

The thing that really got annoy was the boss fights. As the game gets on the bosses have way too much health and do way too much damage. Several of them I ended up dancing my Assault marines back and forth between the boss and the nearest support point to keep combat rezzing people and then replenishing their numbers so I could win the war of attrition. While many of the worst attacks are telegraphed some of them are not, and the regular boss attacks deal a ton of damage as well. And then the bosses that don't have truckloads of health die in a few seconds under a withering hail of fire. It all is just incredibly tedious, especially since EVERY mission has a boss.

I'm honestly not sure when I'm going to get around to the two expansions. Definitely before DoW III hits, but probably not in the near future.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

January:
1) Bonk's Adventure (NES)
2) Little Samson
3) Holy Diver
4) Holy Diver (legit!)
5) Mitsume Ga Tooru
6) TMNT II: The Arcade Game (NES)
7) Mighty Final Fight
8] Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!!
9) Monster In My Pocket
10) Battle of Olympus
11) Gunstar Heroes (repeat)
12) Dragon Age: Inquisition
13) Dragon Age: Inquisition - Trespasser
14) Captain America and the Avengers (NES)
15) StarTropics
16) Double Dragon II: The Revenge (NES) (save states)
17) Double Dragon II: The Revenge (NES) (legit)
18) Crisis Force
19) Esper Dream 2
20) Felix the Cat
21) Moon Crystal
22) Panic Restaurant
23) Frankenstein (NES)
24) Crystalis
25) Nekketsu Kakutou Densetsu

February:
26) Killer Instinct (GB)
27) Mashin Hero Wataru Gaiden
28) Sly Spy (Arcade)
29) The Red Star (unreleased XBOX, also on PS2)
30) Adventure Island 4
31) Cocoron
32) Batman: Arkham Knight
33) Xeodrifter (Vita)
34) Doom 2
35) Brandish: The Dark Revenant
36) Magical Pop'n
37) The Ninja Warriors (SNES)
38) Phantasy Star (SMS)
39) Phantasy Star III
40) Super Smash Bros. for 3DS
41) Brandish: The Dark Revenant (Dela Mode)

March:
42) Freedom Planet (Milla, 82 lives lost)
43) Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis
44) Lara Croft Go
45) Oniken
46) Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam
47) Batman: The Video Game (GB)
48) Batman: The Video Game (NES)
49) Super Spy Hunter

April:
50) Mega Man 2
51) Mega Man 4
52) Mission: Impossible (NES)
53) Mega Man 6
54) Super Mario Bros. 3
55) Sword Master
56) DuckTales 2
57) Rush'n Attack (NES)
58) Mega Man 3
59) Mega Man 5
60) Mega Man
61) S.C.A.T. - Special Cybernetic Attack Team
62) TaleSpin (NES)
63) Double Dragon III (NES)
64) Donkey Kong (NES)
65) Astyanax (NES)

May:
66) Master Chu and the Drunkard Hu
67) The New Ghostbusters II (NES, proto)
68) Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PSP, via Dracula X Chronicles)
69) Revenge of Shinobi
70) Shinobi III
71) Shadow Dancer
72) El Viento
73) Earnest Evans
74) One Must Fall 2097
75) A Nightmare on Elm Street (NES)
76) Hebereke
77) Contra
78) Wario Land: Shake It!
79) Gimmick!
80) Ninja Gaiden (GG)
81) Wai Wai World 2 (NES)
82) Zoda's Revenge: StarTropics II
83) Uncharted: Golden Abyss

So twice over the last few days, I've seen mention of StarTropics. Once on USGamer, the other while browsing the eShop, which tells me they just dropped 'em on Wii U VC. That, of course, prompted me to finish off my run through my own VC copy of Zoda's Revenge I'd started a while back. This was on the regular VC. I'd gotten to the haunted mansion, and just couldn't get through at the time, and I was rushing things and making it worse. This time? First shot. Not even close. Go figure! I also ran into issues in one area in the medieval period, with the stupid platforms and spikes over the pits. It's a bit tough to come in cold to the game in the advanced portions sometimes...

...but I blazed through the last boss gauntlet with no issues whatsoever. Another one of those "go figure" moments, although I used to do that all the time when I was younger, so I had practice.

It's really a solid game. I love how they mix all the different periods up to keep things fresh, it's got a wonky but fun sense of humor, and the added mobility makes the action really solid. It's not as puzzle-oriented as the first game, however, and I miss that a bit. It's also more linear as well. But both games have their charms, so give 'em a shot if you haven't already.

The other game finished this weekend was Uncharted: Golden Abyss. I actually didn't like it very much when I started, but most of my issues were directly tied to adjusting to the Vita analog sticks. As I got further in, the controls became more second nature, and I was capping tons of fools... tons of them. Seriously, if there's anything I think is overdone in the Uncharted games, it's too much gunplay. It's okay as a diversion, but I like it more when I'm doing platforming, Prince of Persia-style, or exploring for hidden relics. What's here is solid and simple, there's just too much of it. Melee combat's alright, as well. And you can take a lot of bullets. Seriously, Drake has to secretly be Master Chief.

Presentation is top-notch. It's not quite as good as the PS3 entries, but it's getting up there, which is impressive for a early Vita title. Actually, I'm not sure how many other games really push the hardware this hard. But at the same time, I couldn't help be a little disappointed as well. The Uncharted games thrive on spectacle, and there's tons of amazing stuff, but it's not quite amazing enough. Still, I had a good time with it. Probably 8/10 territory, 7/10 if we use Exhuminator's grading scale. ;) It's more Uncharted than Uncharted 3 or the sublime Uncharted 2.

EDIT: Oh, I forgot all the extra control stuff with Uncharted. I'm pretty sure they made sure to use every ancillary function on the Vita. Some works pretty well (aiming using the tilt sensor), some is okay (charcoal rubbings), and some are completely unnecessary (holding the Vita up to a light). And there are things that it requires you to do that would normally be done with a button, like picking up the various trinkets scattered about, which seems a bit silly. And melee utilizes touch-screen swipes. The worst is rotating objects using the back touchpad. Thankfully, that's not something you have to do often, but getting things to rotate how you like is an exercise in frustration.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

I, personally, loved Golden Abyss, but I'm also a fan of the Vita's control sticks, so that probably colored my opinion a little more positive.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.