Games Beaten 2016

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2016

Post by PartridgeSenpai »

Xeogred wrote:Ninja Theory's one hit wonder. Enslaved was great, I've hated everything else they've done and Hellblade looks lame. :roll:

I was going to mention how playing through this Ninja Theory game reminded me to give Other M another try, but then I remembered that's Team Ninja, not Ninja Theory XP

Might take a swing at Heavenly Sword next then. I've certainly owned it long enough.
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

Only a little, toward the end. Since magic drains experience, it's not something you want to use much. The first part of the final fight is easy with the lightning magic.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Valve is gonna have its own handheld as far as I know...
http://www.pcgamer.com/steamboy-or-smac ... m-machine/
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:Valve is gonna have its own handheld as far as I know...
http://www.pcgamer.com/steamboy-or-smac ... m-machine/

1. It's not actually Valve's handheld. It'll use SteamOS, which is open source.

2. Because it's SteamOS, it will only play Steam games w/ Linux ports. Or I guess it can stream Win games from PC, but that won't help Jordy.

That other handheld I linked to is a planned Windows based device.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

I would totally buy one of those, BTW. :lol:
laurenhiya21
Next-Gen

Post by laurenhiya21 »

1/16: Diablo III (PC)
1/19: Picross E (3DS DL)
1/23: Baroque (Wii)
2/5: LocoRoco (PSP)
3/31: Picross e2 (3DS DL)
4/7: Stardew Valley (Steam)
4/8: Voices From the Sea (Steam)
4/10: X-Note (Steam)
4/11: To the Moon (Steam)
4/19: Atelier Totori: The Adventurer of Arland (PS3)
4/19: Aquapazza: Aquaplus Dream Match (PS3)

Total: 11 games

Sorry if my reviews are particularly bad today... Me being too hot, stressed, and annoyed isn't exactly a good combo :|

Atelier Totori
So since I've already played Atelier Ayesha and Rorona Plus, which both came after Totori, I went into Totori expecting that there would be some annoying things that were smoothed out in later Atelier games. However, I didn't expect that it would be a little unforgiving in the time department.

For those that don't know, the Atelier games have you play as an alchemist (usually female), trying to do something within a time limit. In this case, it's Totori and she wants to be an adventurer and find her mom. In order to be an adventurer, she has to get a number of points by defeating certain monsters, exploring different places, and gathering different ingredients. You normally have a long list of different things for each category, which sounds nice but for me that meant I had no clue which was better to do at the time. For most of the game, this is also your main task. Just... collect points. So for most of the game I was just running around, trying to do these tasks but not really knowing what was better to do.

Turns out I chose poorly because I got stuck on a boss, and by the time I got enough levels, equipment, items, and correct party members, I ran out of time. The time limit didn't even make sense or was warned about! Just, "Since you haven't found your mom yet, I really doubt you'll ever find her!" then bad end. I suppose I should of figured it might do that since all throughout the game, minor events wouldn't be very specific (like do X in three months but it's really six-ish!), but it's still incredibly annoying. A game centred around time limits should be a little more clear on such a major part of the game!

I haven't seen anyone else complain that it was too short, however, so maybe I'm just not great at figuring it out. The alchemy is good, the characters are mostly interesting and funny, and the combat is fine so it's not like it's a bad game I guess. Just don't play this if you haven't played an Atelier game before. It takes place after Rorona anyway so you would be missing out on some story things.

Aquapazza
I was annoyed at Totori so I went to play something quick. I was not expecting to actually beat Aquapazza (I haven't played too many fighting games before), but I set it to be easy enough so even I could beat it :lol: I actually kind of like it, since there is a simple button mode where the characters moves are single button presses instead of button combos. This was great for me since I can't remember long button combos.

Unfortunately I'm not skilled enough with fighters to say much more than that... I guess it would of been nice if there were more characters but it was still fun.
Stark
Next-Gen

Post by Stark »

Xeogred wrote:Ninja Theory's one hit wonder. Enslaved was great, I've hated everything else they've done and Hellblade looks lame. :roll:

Wow I've never disagreed with you more! :cry:

I love Ninja Theory! I really like all their games and Hellblade looks amazing; it's one of my most anticipated games right now. I need to finish DmC, where I had gotten to was excellent, but I got distracted by other things.
Let strength be granted, so the world might be mended...so the world might be mended.
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

Post by PartridgeSenpai »

Stark wrote:

I love Ninja Theory! I really like all their games and Hellblade looks amazing; it's one of my most anticipated games right now. I need to finish DmC, where I had gotten to was excellent, but I got distracted by other things.

Now I'm ever more excited to play Heavenly Sword! I love engaging in conflicting opinions :3
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

laurenhiya21 wrote:Atelier Totori: The Adventurer of Arland

You're awesome.

Also interesting that this one is so much more difficult than the other two you've played. I thought the series difficulty remained constant throughout more or less.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

Stark wrote:

DmC as a game was quite good. DmC's story and tone, however? Ugh.