Games Beaten 2016

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2016

Post by Exhuminator »

Ack wrote:You can also survive long falls by strafing in midair, which resets your fall distance

Amazing.
Ack wrote:Between the two, Risen feels like the better game

This is what I really wanted to know. Great review Ack, appreciate all the info.

If you've never played these, I really think you would enjoy them:
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Markies
Next-Gen

Post by Markies »

1. Star Wars Rogue Squadron II: Rogue Leader (GCN)
2. Max Payne (XBOX)
3. Eternal Poison (PS2)
4. Dragon Warrior III (NES)
5. Arkanoid: Doh It Again(SNES)
6. Super Mario Brothers 2 (NES)
7. Phantasy Star Online (DC)
8. Power Stone (DC)
9. Bare Knuckle 3 (GEN)
10. Thousand Arms (PS1)
11. Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door (GCN)
12. Mega Man 5 (NES)
13. Ninja Gaiden (NES)
14. Star Wars: Knights Of The Old Republic (XBOX)
15. Mega Man 6 (NES)
16. Metal Saga (PS2)
17. Mafia (XBOX)
18. Parasite Eve (PS1)
19. Shining Force (GEN)
20. San Francisco Rush: Extreme Racing (N64)
21. Bushido Blade 2 (PS1)
22. Street Fighter Alpha Anthology (PS2)

23. ActRaiser (SNES)

I beat ActRaiser on the Super Nintendo this evening!

ActRaiser is a spectacular game that mixes action with town building. You basically play God who comes down to the planet and saves all the civilians who are battling monsters. You play an action level with a mini-boss, do the town simulation and then do an another action level with the main boss. You do a little clean up and then move onto the next town. Do this 6 times, do a boss rush and then fight two forms of the main bad guy and the game is finished.

Overall, the game is very addicting. The music is wonderful and shows a whole new side to Yuzo Koshiro. The action part is really fun and the bosses are very unique. The combat and jumping are a bit stiff and deliberate, but it usually is not that big of a problem. However, once you get to the end of the game with the onslaught of enemies and tricky jumping, the unyielding controls begin to wane. You get to the point where damage becomes inevitable.

The town simulation part is probably the best part of the game. I've never been big into 'God' games because they usually lack motives. The simulation part in ActRaiser is brisk, exciting and your character grows because of it. You feel like you are helping out your people and I like the changing of the world around me.

Overall, ActRaiser is a short but fantastic game. It combines two genres that usually never go together into a mix that is highly addicting. I enjoyed every aspect of it and I think it is just wonderful!
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

Speaking of Mega Man games...

First 25
1. Ultimate NES Remix (3DS)
2. Space Invaders Infinity Gene (iOS)
3. World of Goo (iOS)
4. A Dark Room (iOS)
5. Shovel Knight (WII U)
6. The Room (iOS)
7. Mega Man 10 (PS3)
8. The Room Two (iOS)
9. Braid (PS3)
10. Kung Fu Fight! (WII U)
11. Kung Fu Rabbit (WII U)
12. Escape Goat (360)
13. Canabalt (iOS)
14. Leo's Fortune (iOS)
15. King's Field: The Ancient City (PS2)
16. Grim Fandango Remastered (iOS)
17. Dust: An Elysian Tale (360)
18. Shantae (GBC)
19. 3D Space Harrier (3DS)
20. 3D After Burner II (3DS)
21. 3D Classics: Kid Icarus (3DS)
22. Kid Icarus: Of Myths and Monsters (GB)
23. Shantae: Risky's Revenge Director's Cut (WII U)
24. Final Fantasy Adventure (GB)
25. Furdemption (iOS)

26. Virtua Fighter Remix (SATURN)
27. Manos The Hands of Fate (iOS)
28. Virtua Fighter 2 (PS3)
29. Fighting Vipers (PS3)
30. Ikari Warriors (PS3)
31. Virtua Cop (SATURN)
32. Virtua Cop 2 (SATURN)
33. Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars Director's Cut (iOS)
34. Virtua Racing (PS2)
35. Daytona USA (DC)
36. Sega Rally Championship (SATURN)
37. RayForce (iOS)
38. Hundreds (iOS)
39. Don't Look Back (iOS)
40. Finding Teddy (iOS)
41. Shantae & The Pirate's Curse (WII U)
42. Dragon Warrior II (GBC)
43. Guardian Heroes (360)
44. Ninja Smasher! (3DS)
45. BoxBoxBoy! (3DS)
46. 2 Fast 4 Gnomz (3DS)
47. Aeternoblade (3DS)
48. Angry Video Game Nerd Adventures (3DS)
49. Attack of the Friday Monsters! A Tokyo Tale (3DS)

Attack of the Friday Monsters is a charming adventure game about a young boy living on the outskirts of Tokyo having a wonderful day. It is a short, relaxing experience without a failure state. (The worst thing that can happen to you is losing a game of "monster cards" to other children in town.) Destructoid has a great review of the game, which describes its appeal better than I have the time to do here. I am not sure that I feel quite as strongly as the reviewer, but I certainly understand the game's appeal and I have no problem recommending it to someone seeking a gentle, relaxing, thoroughly charming, and unique adventure game experience.
Last edited by prfsnl_gmr on Thu Sep 08, 2016 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

prfsnl_gmr wrote:It is a short, relaxing experience without a failure state. (The worst thing that can happen to you is losing a game of "monster cards" to other children in town).

This sounds exactly like the type of game I want to play when I'm lying in bed before I go to sleep. I downloaded this months ago back when it was on sale, but I haven't gotten around to playing it. This may convince me to do so.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

Michi
Next-Gen

Post by Michi »

It's a very chill experience. Perfect if you're looking for something relaxing to play at night.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

I beat the game last March, this was my review:
Have you ever wondered what it'd be like, to be a small town boy living in early 1970s Japan, during the height of the live action monster VS hero TV craze? Well, you probably haven't, but doing so proves to be a unique experience indeed. Attack of the Friday Monsters! gives you the ability to live this life, presented in an aesthetic that channels Studio Ghibli at their best.

As the young boy, you'll perceive life based on his own immature limitations, which will likely give you a sense of haunting nostalgia in remembrance of being that same naive kid you once were. There are a lot of plot elements represented metaphorically, and by the end of the game, you'll have a lot of thematic ambiguity to mentally chew on. I believe the plot is worth experiencing, and overall didn't waste this player's time.

The gameplay itself consists of exploring around the little town, hanging out with friends, interacting with neighbors, and slowly uncovering a monstrous mystery. There are a few simple puzzles, but the biggest interactive element would be the monster card game, a take on rock-paper-scissors. This card game is rarely required to progress the plot, but adds an interesting diversion to the otherwise highly linear game progression.

Attack of the Friday Monsters! is not a game for everyone. Gamers who need constant excitement and action will surely be bored to sleep. But for the more open minded player who enjoys unique game design, and a simple but involving plot told at a deliberate pace, there's plenty of enjoyment to be found here. Simply running around as a carefree kid again, through beautiful halcyon summer settings, is worth the price of admission alone.

tl;dr Yes it's good.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

Exhuminator wrote:Simply running around as a carefree kid again, through beautiful halcyon summer settings, is worth the price of admission alone.

Absolutely. More than any other gaming experience, Attack of the Friday Monsters! took me back to those long summer days of my childhood that I spent exploring my neighborhood -which seemed so large then and seems so small now - and playing with my friends. I recommend it.

Also, and in case anyone cares, I am currently playing through my 3DS eShop games in alphabetical order. (While we are renovating our new house, I am purposefully down a TV.) Azure Striker Gunvolt would be next up for me, but since it is getting a physical release this fall, I am going to skip it. Accordingly, the next game up for me is Bloody Vampire.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

That game looks radical!!!!! Cute art style.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:That game looks radical!!!!! Cute art style.

I assume you are talking about Bloody Vampire with its Metroid-meets-Ys gameplay. I have been looking forward to playing it, and I will be sure to share my impressions with you.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Oh wow I didn't even read the review to see it had "bump" combat. Now I'm sold.

Rare to see that in sidescrolling games. The original computer versions of Popful Mail did indeed utilize that system though:
https://youtu.be/66mgwFTBpXw?t=6m15s