Games Beaten 2016

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2016

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

I ended up with all of my stats at 100...lol
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

1. Sly 2 Band of Thieves HD (PS3)
2. Black (Xbox)
3. Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic (Xbox)
4. Super Mario Bros Advance 4: SMB3 E-Reader Levels (WiiUVC)
5. Galerians (PSX)
6. Shantae and the Pirate's Curse (WiiU)
7. TRAG / Hard Edge: Mission of Mercy (PSX)
8. Soul Blade (PSX)
9. Castlevania Circle of the Moon* (WiiUVC)
10. The Legend of Zelda Twilight Princess* HD (WiiU)
11. Mega Man 9* (PSN)
12. Mega Man 10* (PSN)
13. Dark Souls 3 (NG++) [PLATINUM] (PS4)
14. Mega Man 1* (PS4, MMLC)
15. Mega Man 2* (PS4, MMLC)
16. Mega Man 3* (PS4, MMLC)
17. Mega Man 4* (PS4, MMLC)
18. Mega Man 5* (PS4, MMLC)
19. Mega Man 6* (PS4, MMLC)
20. Doom [PLATINUM] (PS4)
21. Quake (PC)
22. Quake 2* (PC)
23. Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 (PS3)
24. Quake Mission Pack 1: Scourge of Armagon (PC)
25. Quake 2 Mission Pack 1: The Reckoning (PC)
26. Quake Mission Pack 2: Dissolution of Eternity (PC)
27. Quake 2 Mission Pack 2: Ground Zero (PC)
28. Quake: Dimensions of the Past (PC)
29. Bayonetta 2 (WiiU)
30. Wolfenstein The Old Blood (PC)
31. Dishonored DLC The Knife of Dunwall (PC)
32. Dishonored DLC The Brigmore Witches (PC)
33. Metro Last Light Redux (PC)
34. Doom 3 BFG Edition* (PC)
35. Metro 2033 Redux (PC)
36. Doom 3 Resurrection of Evil* BFG (PC)
37. Doom 3 The Lost Mission* BFG (PC)
38. Ninja Gaiden 3 Razor's Edge (PS3)
39. Ultimate Doom* (PC)
40. Devil's Third (WiiU)
41. SOMA (PC)
42. Doom 2* (PC)
43. Gone Home (PC)
44. Metroid Other M (Wii)
45. Deus Ex Human Revolution Director's Cut* (PC)
46. AM2R: Return of Samus (PC)

First off, "timing" has been a weird thing for me this year. First I went on a crazy id marathon after Doom 4 and finally went through Quake 1, revisited Quake 2 after a good decade or so and bam, the Wolfenstein New Order devs put out an awesome new Quake 1 episode that was amazingly well done. So now I've been wanting to replay Metroid Zero Mission sometime this year since it finally hit the Wii U eshop, but I figured it was also a good time to finally hit up Other M. Low and behold pretty much right after finishing that oddity up, this big Metroid 2 remake project is finally finished and released.

Simply put I'm a little speechless. It is quite possibly the best videogame remake I've played since uh... Zero Mission? And Resident Evil Remake.

It was a fascinating experience. Optimized and played like a dream with a controller. Everything feels, looks, and sounds about as authentic as it could possibly get for a legit official Metroid experience. The composers did an amazing job at channeling some Prime into the soundscapes. The game is gorgeous. The atmosphere is amazing just like the others. The final stretch almost left me teary eyed because of how beautiful and well done it was. So many little nods to the other games in the series, while confidently having its own identity. This thing was absolutely amazing and better than Fusion and Other M for me. I can easily see this being something I revisit a lot when the classic Metroid mood strikes.

This is how it's done Nintendo. Take notes buddy.

Ended with 88% at 4:39:05.

10/10
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

Post by PartridgeSenpai »

Alien on the Run (3DS)

I bought this game solely becasue pfrsnl_gmr recommended it, and given how good his recommendation of Ninja Smasher was, I thought trusting him again was a safe bet, AND BOY WAS IT EVER.

This game has a very weird playstyle. You'd have to watch a video or try the demo to really get a feel for yourself, but I'd describe it as Incredible Crisis meets Trials HD. You're an alien trying to escape from space-jail, and to do that, you need to run, slide, box, and code your way past obstacles before time runs out. There are two types of tractor beams that can trap you. If you slide into and then stop in the yellow ones, you get a time bonus. The purple ones can't be destroyed though. Other than getting sucked up by a tractor beam, every other obstacle just serves to slow you down to either get a bad score or fail the stage when time runs out.

There are 16 stages with 5 levels in each, so there're quite a few, even though at their shortest they range almost always below a minute or close to it. The short time limits are why I love this game. One of the most addicting features is going for S-ranks by getting your allotted time above the "target time" by skillfully enough disarming the yellow traps. In racing games and such, I hate time trials because they always take like 4 or 5+ minutes for each one. In this game, you can instantly restart the stage whenever, and each stage takes almost always less than a minute, so it's in super palatable doses. The stages are super well designed as well, and the controls are equally as tight: Whenever I got a bad time, I knew it was my fault, not the game's. It took me 2.5 hours to beat, just about right on the nose, but that was just right for me for what I paid for it (it's on sale for $2 right now).

What really made this game stand out, though, was the theme. The main character is an alien, but he looks like more of a weird demon thing with his mouth taped over. Whenever you stand up from a slide, he does these wacky, silly poses that range from the Micheal Jackson crotch-grab (complete with fedora-tip), to sleeping in a sleeping back, to reading the paper while taking a dump on a toilet. It's just so wacky and silly, it's hard to get too mad, even when you mess up a bunch (like I did goin' for dem A and S ranks). I mentioned this in the "Awesome Eshop Deals" thread as well, but the game feels like games like You Can't Stop Mr. Domino and Incredible Crisis back on the PS1: It's remenisant of a time back when really weird, arcadey games would make it over here from Japan, and developers weren't afraid to really experiment with this new 3D thing in weird and wonky ways.

Verdict: Very highly recommended. If you're looking for the best exclusive game on the eShop, this is a really serious contender. This is an amazing gem that I very thoroughly enjoyed, and can't recommend enough. The developer, G-Style, has that weird theme in a lot of their games, and they're all at least worth trying the demos of if not buying, I'd say.
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

Perfect. It is really a great little game. More people should play it.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

January:
1) Bonk's Adventure (NES)
2) Little Samson (NES)
3) Holy Diver (NES)
4) Holy Diver (NES) (legit!)
5) Mitsume Ga Tooru (NES)
6) TMNT II: The Arcade Game (NES)
7) Mighty Final Fight (NES)
8] Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!! (NES)
9) Monster In My Pocket (NES)
10) Battle of Olympus (NES)
11) Gunstar Heroes (GEN) (repeat)
12) Dragon Age: Inquisition (PS4)
13) Dragon Age: Inquisition - Trespasser (PS4)
14) Captain America and the Avengers (NES)
15) StarTropics (NES)
16) Double Dragon II: The Revenge (NES) (save states)
17) Double Dragon II: The Revenge (NES) (legit)
18) Crisis Force (NES)
19) Esper Dream 2 (NES)
20) Felix the Cat (NES)
21) Moon Crystal (NES)
22) Panic Restaurant (NES)
23) Frankenstein (NES)
24) Crystalis (NES)
25) Nekketsu Kakutou Densetsu (NES)

February:
26) Killer Instinct (GB)
27) Mashin Hero Wataru Gaiden (NES)
28) Sly Spy (ARC)
29) The Red Star (unreleased XBOX, also on PS2)
30) Adventure Island 4 (NES)
31) Cocoron (NES)
32) Batman: Arkham Knight (PS4)
33) Xeodrifter (VITA)
34) Doom 2 (PC)
35) Brandish: The Dark Revenant (PSP)
36) Magical Pop'n (SNES)
37) The Ninja Warriors (SNES)
38) Phantasy Star (SMS)
39) Phantasy Star III (GEN)
40) Super Smash Bros. for 3DS (3DS)
41) Brandish: The Dark Revenant (Dela Mode)

March:
42) Freedom Planet (Milla, 82 lives lost) (PC)
43) Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis (PC)
44) Lara Croft Go (AND)
45) Oniken (PC)
46) Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam (3DS)
47) Batman: The Video Game (GB)
48) Batman: The Video Game (NES)
49) Super Spy Hunter

April:
50) Mega Man 2 (NES)
51) Mega Man 4 (NES)
52) Mission: Impossible (NES)
53) Mega Man 6 (NES)
54) Super Mario Bros. 3 (NES)
55) Sword Master (NES)
56) DuckTales 2 (NES)
57) Rush'n Attack (NES)
58) Mega Man 3 (NES)
59) Mega Man 5 (NES)
60) Mega Man (NES)
61) S.C.A.T. - Special Cybernetic Attack Team (NES)
62) TaleSpin (NES)
63) Double Dragon III (NES)
64) Donkey Kong (NES)
65) Astyanax (NES)

May:
66) Master Chu and the Drunkard Hu (NES)
67) The New Ghostbusters II (NES, proto)
68) Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PSP, via Dracula X Chronicles)
69) Revenge of Shinobi (GEN)
70) Shinobi III (GEN)
71) Shadow Dancer (GEN)
72) El Viento (GEN)
73) Earnest Evans (GEN)
74) One Must Fall 2097 (PC)
75) A Nightmare on Elm Street (NES)
76) Hebereke (NES)
77) Contra (NES)
78) Wario Land: Shake It! (WII)
79) Gimmick! (NES)
80) Ninja Gaiden (GG)
81) Wai Wai World 2 (NES)
82) Zoda's Revenge: StarTropics II (NES)
83) Uncharted: Golden Abyss (VITA)
84) Double Dragon (SMS)

June:
85) Astra Superstars (SAT)
86) Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance (360)
87) Star Wars: Dark Forces 2 - Jedi Knight (PC)
88) Star Wars: Dark Forces (PC)
89) VVVVVV (PC)
90) Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Hyperstone Heist (GEN)
91) Broforce (PS4)
92) Momodora: Reverie Under the Moonlight (PC)
93) The Terminator (SCD)
94) Aban Hawkins and the 1001 Spikes (PC)
95) Electronic Super Joy (PC)
96) Golden Axe (GEN)
97) Double Dragon (GB)
98) Double Dragon II (GB)
99) Double Dragon III (GB)
100) Super Mario Land (GB)
101) Kirby's Dream Land (GB)

July:
102) Vapor Trail (GEN)
103) King Colossus (GEN)
104) Kirby: Planet Robobot (3DS)
105) Curse of Issyos (PC)
106) Alisia Dragoon (GEN)
107) Curse of the Crescent Isle DX (PC)
108) Tales of Hearts R (VITA)
109) Flashback (SCD)
110) Rayman Legends (VITA)
111) Wonder Boy in Monster World (GEN) (via 360)
112) Altered Beast (ARC)
113) Altered Beast (GEN)
114) Song of the Deep (PS4)

August:

115) Tatsunoko vs. Capcom (WII)
116) Another Metroid 2 Remake (AM2R) (PC)

Final time: 5:56:03
Completion: 93%

Missed a Super Missile Tank and two Power Bomb Tanks, and probably a couple of Missile Tanks.

This almost, almost fits right in and felt like a Nintendo game from start to finish. As mentioned in the AM2R thread, though, I ran into multiple bugs and/or crashes at the end. It didn't make me very happy. I am not surprised that they exist, but they certainly served as a reminder that not everything is perfect.

I also noticed a paucity of powerups in the last areas. It's pretty much atmosphere only. I had to beat the Queen Metroid three times to finally see the ending, which was no fun. I had an easier time once I figured out the green things can be shot with the beam for powerups.

It definitely scratched the Metroid itch, and I hope that the dev uses the base of this to make an awesome indie game. What's here shows an excellent design touch.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

Exhuminator wrote:Image
88. Gal*Gun: Double Peace|Vita|2016|rail shooter|2h 28m|8/10

Elky and Lauren already reviewed this one thoroughly, no real reason for me to do a big review in light of that. I'll just say this folks... are you a pervert who wants to shoot cute girls with love pheromones and see their panties? Then buy this game! If not, move along, you'll just be offended or bored. I was not offended. I was not bored. I had a good time.

How is the frame rate on the Vita version? A college buddy of mine got it for Vita, and he said the frame rate was god awful, but I haven't had a chance to check it out on Vita for myself.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

Sarge wrote:I had to beat the Queen Metroid three times to finally see the ending

Does it still require
rolling into a ball, getting eaten, and dropping bombs in her belly?

Or does the remake change that?
ElkinFencer10 wrote:How is the frame rate on the Vita version?

For the most part, the frame rate is decent. There are times where it's legit terrible though. As in, the frame rate can get low enough to cost you accurate shots. Also the load times are often ludicrous considering this is a flash memory based game. The Vita was obviously not the target development platform.

To be clear though; I didn't love Gal*Gun for its technical accomplishments. Its goofy sense of humor, wildly crazy concept, and adorable pantsu peekaboo carried the experience for me.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

Exhuminator wrote:
Sarge wrote:I had to beat the Queen Metroid three times to finally see the ending

Does it still require
rolling into a ball, getting eaten, and dropping bombs in her belly?

Or does the remake change that?

It changes it up a bit.

You can drop a Power Bomb while caught in the mouth, but you can also pump in missiles while your health is draining. Samus stands there with one arm, holding it open, while shooting with the other. It's actually a pretty neat set piece. I went with what was expected, and dropped a Power Bomb the first two times.

I'd also like to mention a small thing that I thought was cool. Those containment airlock doors are really slick, and
the escape sequence afterwards is a cool twist on the usual result of said escape sequences in Metroid.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

I agree on your second point. It was cool they got a section like that in there.

Man I don't know what I did differently against the Queen Metroid, but she like literally died the instant I got swallowed. I laid a normal bomb or two and she was dead. Maybe I hit her with a lot of super missiles before hand so she had like 1HP left, but yeah. You could have blinked and you would have missed Samus going into her belly and all that.
ExedExes
Next-Gen

Post by ExedExes »

1. Flag to Flag - Dreamcast (January 12)
2. The Battle of Olympus - NES (January 18)
3. Thunder Force AC - Arcade/MAME (February 6)
4. Golden Axe - Arcade/MAME (February 14)
5. Rod-Land - Arcade/MAME (February 22)
6. Xexyz - NES (March 14)
7. Smuggler's Run: Warzones - Gamecube (March 26)
8. Rad Racer - NES (March 27)
9. Rad Racer II - NES (March 27)

10. Rise of the Triad 2013 - PC (April 23)
11. Call of Juarez: Bound In Blood - PC (June 2)
12. Call of Duty: World At War - PC (June 26)
13. Medal of Honor: Infiltrator - GBA (June 27)

14. Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon - Island Thunder - PC (July 14)
15. *NEW* Feel The Magic XY/XX - DS (August 9)

RUB IT!

A DS launch title as well as one many people may not be familiar with, a review called this game a cross between WarioWare and Space Channel 5. That's not too far off. You're doing 25 offbeat minigames that would have no problem being in the former series, with an art style and presentation similar to the latter. Developed by Sonic Team, this game easily showed off the capabilities of the DS early on. You'll not only be using the touch screen in inventive ways, but also the microphone to perform such tasks as getting fish out of a man's stomach, swatting insects away, building a fire, flinging human beings at trucks, guiding a unicycle along a narrow track, and so much more. It has to be played to be believed. There's also a mode where you can customize a female character that appears on certain screens alongside you, and you can unlock extra items in this mode by using Sega-published GBA cartridges (such as those in the Sonic series), providing you have an original DS or DS lite to put them in the GBA slot when you turn the game on.

Silly, charming, offbeat, and a real showcase of what the DS can do. It's a can't miss game if you're into healthy doses of Japanese wackiness.

Remember, Rub Is Love.
Xeogred wrote:The obvious answer is that it's time for the Dreamcast 2.