Games Beaten 2016

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2016

Post by Exhuminator »

ElkinFencer10 wrote:Is the PSP release of Oath in Felghana inferior?

You lose the graphical fidelity of the PC version, meaning what you could have at 1920x1080, you now have at 480x272. If you don't mind the loss of detail, everything else is solid with that port.

Bone took the words right outta my fingers; whatever you do, don't play Ark of Napishtim on PSP.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

ElkinFencer10 wrote:I'll probably go with PSP for Oath of Felghana, then, given my love of collecting retail releases. :P

If it's the want of a retail release that drives you, get this:

That's the original Japanese PC release. You can still play it via English:

http://www.romhacking.net/translations/1481/

That's how I originally beat The Oath in Felghana, via the Japanese PC version with the English fan patch. I had a great time.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

ElkinFencer10 wrote:Actually, while we're on the subject of various Ys releases, while I know that TGCD seems to be the best way to play Ys I and II, how do the Famicom releases compare? Obviously the audio quality won't be nearly as good, but are they worth getting and playing?

The Famicom Ys games were handled by Advance Communication Company and published by Victor.

Ys I on Famicom is AWFUL. It's completely broken down, insanely difficult, borderline unplayable. If you must play an 8-bit Ys I go for the SMS port instead.

Ys II on Famicom fares much better. It's pretty faithful to the PC-88 original and is a lot of fun overall. Fun fact: this is the only standalone version of Ys II on home consoles.

Seriously though, Turbo is the way to go. I typically find enhanced ports and remakes to be "inferior" (or at least less charming) vs. the original games, but the first couple of Ys games seem to have been developed under great time constraints and didn't really demonstrate their truly potential until they hit the TurboDuo. The hand-drawn anime art and rich redbook soundtrack is just an unbeatable combination.
(seriously, dat soundtrack, you're not getting this on any other console)
joehero
32-bit

Post by joehero »

I had never played any of the Y's games until browsing this forum yesterday. After seeing everyone's recommendations I thought I would give it a try. So far I love it! ARPG are more my speed. Im playing the PSP version of Ys: The Oath in Felghana. Next I want to try Y's Seven on the PSP. Is Seven the same style as Oath?
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:
ElkinFencer10 wrote:Actually, while we're on the subject of various Ys releases, while I know that TGCD seems to be the best way to play Ys I and II, how do the Famicom releases compare? Obviously the audio quality won't be nearly as good, but are they worth getting and playing?

The Famicom Ys games were handled by Advance Communication Company and published by Victor.

Ys I on Famicom is AWFUL. It's completely broken down, insanely difficult, borderline unplayable. If you must play an 8-bit Ys I go for the SMS port instead.

Ys II on Famicom fares much better. It's pretty faithful to the PC-88 original and is a lot of fun overall. Fun fact: this is the only standalone version of Ys II on home consoles.

Seriously though, Turbo is the way to go. I typically find enhanced ports and remakes to be "inferior" (or at least less charming) vs. the original games, but the first couple of Ys games seem to have been developed under great time constraints and didn't really demonstrate their truly potential until they hit the TurboDuo. The hand-drawn anime art and rich redbook soundtrack is just an unbeatable combination.
(seriously, dat soundtrack, you're not getting this on any other console)

Awesome, thanks man. How does the SMS version compare to the TGCD version aside from the obvious audio inferiority? Also, do you know if it supports FM sound?
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

joehero wrote:Is Seven the same style as Oath?

Sort of, it's still overhead action, running around slashing up monsters. But Ys Seven is a bit more JRPG-ish, in that you have a lot more conversations with NPCs, and you have extra party members, and the pacing isn't as breakneck as Napishtim/Oath/Origin. Don't get me wrong though, Ys Seven is awesome. I enjoyed it even more than The Oath in Felghana overall.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

Yeah, Ys Seven is my favorite of the series. It's a little different, in that there's no platforming (and thusly, no jumping). That's been replace with a super-fast dodge roll move. It makes for some really frantic combat. If you like Felghana or Origin, you should still like Seven.
Blu
Next-Gen

Post by Blu »

1. Xenoblade Chronicles X - Nintendo Wii U - January 3
2. Fallout 4 - Xbox One - January 20
3. Yakuza 4 - PlayStation 3 - January 29
4. Yakuza: Dead Souls - PlayStation 3 - February 5
5. Yakuza 5 - PlayStation 3 - February 27
6. The Last of Us - PlayStation 3 - February 29
7. Yoshi's Wooly World - Nintendo Wii U - March 2
8. Bayonetta - Nintendo Wii U - March 6
9. Pikmin 3 - Nintendo Wii U - March 20
10. Pokémon Yellow - Nintendo 3DS VC - April 2
11. Wolf Among Us - Xbox One - April 11
12. Chrono Trigger - Nintendo Wii Virtual Console - October 18
13. Doom (4) - Xbox One - November 19
14. Torchlight 2 - PC - December 1
15. Final Fantasy IX - PS1 - December 7

I really enjoyed Final Fantasy IX. Overall it was a pretty solid RPG. I like the function of the crystal system and ability points. Feels like a more polished Materia system. The art direction is good, though I don't necessarily like the character models for Zidane or Garnet. The soundtrack is memorable, distinct, and fits the mood most of the time. There's a few tracks that are great, the rest are good. It's not the best soundtrack of the PlayStation titles, I think FF8 and FF7 are by far better than 9's soundtrack. I liked some of the twists and turns of the story, it kept me going.

My gripes (in spoiler tags for obvious reasons):
What on earth was that boss at the end? Necron? Who? Thematically, I get that most, if not all of the characters in the game are having existential crises. I think that's a motif that's pretty prevalent through, from Zidane, to Garnet, to Vivi (quite poignantly I think out of all), maybe even Steiner to a lesser extent. However, Necron comes out of no where without any inkling of an explanation. He just explains I'm here to end all life and reduce it to nothingness. We go from Trance Kuja, who is a pretty misunderstood antagonist, to Death Incarnate. For me that killed off the narrative in some ways and felt really disjointed. In contrast to final fights with Sephiroth or Ultimecia, this felt off.
Oh well, regardless, it was compelling and for the most part pretty solid. I'd go with a 8/10 on this tale of the Final Fantasy.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

UNPOPULAR OPINION: Ultimecia is the best final boss in any Final Fantasy game (but there are a lot of close seconds).

I agree with Blu that the fight against Necron really drags down FFIX, which is actually my least favorite PS1 Final Fantasy game.
Blu
Next-Gen

Post by Blu »

prfsnl_gmr wrote:UNPOPULAR OPINION: Ultimecia is the best final boss in any Final Fantasy game (but there are a lot of close seconds).

I agree with Blu that the fight against Necron really drags down FFIX, which is actually my least favorite PS1 Final Fantasy game.

Not that unpopular at all. FFVIII is my favorite of the series. It gets a bad rap for the magic junction system, and Squall is a cliché grim dark protagonist at times, but Ultimecia's tenure as the protagonist is really quite awesome.
Possession across periods of time through Sorceress' as vessels is a neat concept.
Also Laguna, Kiros, and Ward are a great supporting cast. It has a lot going for it as far as plot and twists. The soundtrack has some of the best scores in the series.