6) TMNT II: The Arcade Game (NES)
7) Mighty Final Fight
8] Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!!
9) Monster In My Pocket
10) Battle of Olympus
11) Gunstar Heroes (repeat)
12) Dragon Age: Inquisition
13) Dragon Age: Inquisition - Trespasser
14) Captain America and the Avengers (NES)
15) StarTropics
16) Double Dragon II: The Revenge (NES) (save states)
17) Double Dragon II: The Revenge (NES) (legit)
18) Crisis Force
19) Esper Dream 2
20) Felix the Cat
21) Moon Crystal
22) Panic Restaurant
23) Frankenstein (NES)
24) Crystalis
25) Nekketsu Kakutou Densetsu

26) Killer Instinct (GB)
27) Mashin Hero Wataru Gaiden
28) Sly Spy (Arcade)
29) The Red Star (unreleased XBOX, also on PS2)
30) Adventure Island 4
31) Cocoron
32) Batman: Arkham Knight
33) Xeodrifter (Vita)

Beat Xeodrifter. A pretty minimalist take on Metroid, it's pretty fun. You can definitely see the Mutant Mudds style in the game. I got it on sale pretty cheap, and it's definitely worth what I paid for it, but it's probably not more than three hours long. I remember folks complaining that the bosses were all basically one type, but I kinda liked how it was the same, but threw out a new type of attack each time.

On another smaller note, while the performance was mostly okay on Vita, there were a few instances where the frame rate gets really choppy. That's rather disappointing, honestly. I don't know how the 3DS version holds up, or the other myriad ports. Since it was cross-buy, I have the PS4 version as well. Maybe I should finish it up completely on there.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2016

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

Sarge wrote:January:
1) Bonk's Adventure (NES)
2) Little Samson
3) Holy Diver
4) Holy Diver (legit!)
5) Mitsume Ga Tooru
6) TMNT II: The Arcade Game (NES)
7) Mighty Final Fight
8] Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!!
9) Monster In My Pocket
10) Battle of Olympus
11) Gunstar Heroes (repeat)
12) Dragon Age: Inquisition
13) Dragon Age: Inquisition - Trespasser
14) Captain America and the Avengers (NES)
15) StarTropics
16) Double Dragon II: The Revenge (NES) (save states)
17) Double Dragon II: The Revenge (NES) (legit)
18) Crisis Force
19) Esper Dream 2
20) Felix the Cat
21) Moon Crystal
22) Panic Restaurant
23) Frankenstein (NES)
24) Crystalis
25) Nekketsu Kakutou Densetsu

26) Killer Instinct (GB)
27) Mashin Hero Wataru Gaiden
28) Sly Spy (Arcade)
29) The Red Star (unreleased XBOX, also on PS2)
30) Adventure Island 4
31) Cocoron
32) Batman: Arkham Knight
33) Xeodrifter (Vita)

Beat Xeodrifter. A pretty minimalist take on Metroid, it's pretty fun. You can definitely see the Mutant Mudds style in the game. I got it on sale pretty cheap, and it's definitely worth what I paid for it, but it's probably not more than three hours long. I remember folks complaining that the bosses were all basically one type, but I kinda liked how it was the same, but threw out a new type of attack each time.

On another smaller note, while the performance was mostly okay on Vita, there were a few instances where the frame rate gets really choppy. That's rather disappointing, honestly. I don't know how the 3DS version holds up, or the other myriad ports. Since it was cross-buy, I have the PS4 version as well. Maybe I should finish it up completely on there.

I also enjoyed Xeodrifter, and I also liked the "variation on a theme" bosses. I played the game on the 3DS, and the 3D effect as petty neat. It also did not have any technical issues.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

Fascinating. Sounds like whatever engine they used didn't port well to Vita, then.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

Last couple of weeks I was on a Gamecube kick. I decided it was time to change gears to another console this weekend:

1. Ys Book II: Ancient Ys Vanished - The Final Chapter PSN Vita
2. 3D Streets of Rage 2 3DS eShop
3. 3D Gunstar Heroes 3DS eShop
4. 3D Sonic the Hedgehog 2 3DS eShop
5. 3D OutRun 3DS eShop
6. Mugen Senshi Valis II: The Fantasm Soldier PCE CD
7. Mugen Senshi Valis III: The Fantasm Soldier PCE CD
8. Bomberman PCE CD
9. Rocket Knight Adventures Mega Drive
10. Trax Game Boy
11. Panic Bomber Virtual Boy
12. Arcana Heart 3: Love MAX!!!!! Vita
13. Super Monkey Ball Gamecube
14. Lost Kingdoms Gamecube
15. Sonic Adventure 2 Battle Gamecube
16. 1080° Avalanche Gamecube
17. Bubble Ghost Game Boy *NEW*
18. Catrap Game Boy *NEW*

Bubble Ghost

Bubble Ghost is a arcadey styled game where you play as a ghost and make it your mission to guide a bubble through 35 rooms of a building out of a window to freedom. Your ghost loves that fucking bubble. You better not pop it. The game originally came out for lots of European computers, but in 1990 it recieved a Game Boy port with a significant aesthetic redesign. This is the one most people remember.

You guide the bubble my moving your ghost around and pressing A to blow air at it. Your ghost will turn to face the bubble as he goes around it, making moving the bubble in the 8 cardinal directions a breeze, but you can also move around whilst the bubble is moving to get some more finese. The bubble has some basic physics meaning it won't stop on a time, and will continue drifting slightly before coming to a stop. Later levels require very delicate movements and often you'll get lined up for the next puff and wait for the bubble to slowly drift to just the right position.

The bubble will pop if it hits a wall or any of the other numerous obstacles about - literally anything can pop it. Obstacles include moving objects, candles which pop the bubble with heat if it goes above them, fans that blow the bubble off course, floating spike balls, disappearing walls and more. Some of these have to be worked around, but a few, like the candle and the fan, can be deactivated with your ghost by puffing on them.

Bubble Ghost is a pretty decent looking game for such an early release - nothing remarkable, but it has a cute design and clean aesthetic that makes it very clear what things are and how you might interact with them. Better than the visuals though, is the music. The soundtrack is stunning, despite consisting of about 3 songs. The games main theme, which plays on all of the game's 35 stages, is absolutely brilliant, one of the best tracks on the system imo. It took quite a few tries to beat Bubble Ghost, and I never got sick of the song, even after well over an hour of hearing it. It was composed by Hitoshi Sakamoto, of Final Fantasy Tactics and Final Fantasy XII fame. Here's the link if you want to try it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVc56hzQdwk

Bubble Ghost features 35 stages which must be beaten in one sitting. You have 3 credits of 5 lives each to make it through, but you'll likely get a few as you go too. That said, you tend to lose lives thick and fast on some of the harder levels, so it's not hard to game over. The difficulty isn't crazy though, and with a little persistence you'll make it through.

Bubble Ghost is a simple and early game on the Game Boy. There's not too much to it. However, what is here is fantastic - I think the game is a must own for the system. Easy to pick up and play, hard to master, and fun the whole way through. Bubble Ghost is excellent.

Catrap

Catrap is another fairly early Game Boy game from 1990, and another Game Boy port of a sightly obscure home computer game. The original version, Pitman, was created on the Japanese MZ-700 computer, but was popular enough to be given a Game Boy port years later.

Catrap is a block pushing puzzle game where you play as two kids who have been given a terrible curse and have grown cat ears and tails. As this was 1990 and the internet hadn't caught on yet, they decide to explore a pyramid and cure the curse instead of making their fortune from becoming meme icons.

The mechanics of Catrap are super simple - to beat a stage you must kill all enemies on the level. You do this by simply walking into them. You can push blocks, and break through some dirt blocks too, but you can't jump - ladders are the only way to move up to a higher level. Enemies, blocks and dirt can only be taken out by moving sideways, so the game becomes about setting up blocks and platforms so you can take out all the enemies. Some enemies fall when the platform below them is taken out, but ghosts will stay at the same tier so require extra thought.

Whilst the mechanics of Catrap are simple, the puzzle quickly become very complex - enemies need take out in specific orders, and one wrong move can make a puzzle unwinnable. This introduces Catraps best feature, and one ahead of it's time - pressing the A button allows you to rewind time and undo previous moves. This is an absolute livesaver.

Although Catraps puzzling is generally kind of fun, some of the later levels become tedious and frustrating. Towers of dozens of blocks and enemies lend themselves to tons of trial and error to ge through, and this is compounded on the occassional levels that let you play as both cat kids, switching between them and moving independently - allows one to act as a platform for the other or similar.

Catraps presentation is pretty bare bones too - visually it's basic but charming, but the music is mind-numbing. It's not terrible, but its short and basic and the game has 5 songs in total. 1 is the title screen, one the stage select and one the password, leaving only 2 songs for the games 100 levels, which can take up to 10 hours to power through. It very, very annoying very, very quickly. This seems to be a common issue n old puzzle games though (I'm looking at you Lolo).

Catrap is a fun little game in small doses. The first 2/3rds or so of the game is pretty fun, and some of the remaining third is also clever. However, later puzzles devolve too much into tedious towers of stuff to deal with, and quickly become tiresome. The game is worth picking up if you see it cheap, like I did, but overall it's probably something only puzzle addicts will love.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

That stuff looks awesome aj. Sad to say I hadn't heard of either one until now.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

I know of both of these because, if memory serves, they were both in one of the few issues of GamePro I owned when I was a kid.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:That stuff looks awesome aj. Sad to say I hadn't heard of either one until now.

They're both good stuff, but Bubble Ghost is my clear favourite of the two. One of my favourite early GB titles now, for sure.

Expect more GB stuff from me soon - I'm working through Wave Race, and FF Adventure, Gargoyle's Quest, Kirby's Pinball Land, Solar Striker, Twinbee, Mario Golf and The Fish Files are all in the pile to play too.

Some of them are pretty tough though, so maybe don't expect ALL of these games on the list soon :oops:
Last edited by alienjesus on Mon Feb 15, 2016 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wclem
Next-Gen

Post by wclem »

1. Until Dawn (PS4)
2. Rise of Tomb Raider (Xbox One)

Well if you liked the last one you will probably like this one. More of the same thing, which was ok for this game. My main complaint was that there was just too much stuff to find and pick up. They needed to tone it down with the looting. There were boxes, containers, scrolls and all kinds of other things to search out.

They kept the tombs side quest and added people who had task for you to do. They were pretty simple task, I did a few but no compulsion to do them all. There were things like break these 10 things, or cut lines on this and that. Do not want to spoil so being vague.

Sadly, they give you things you need to get into place a while after you get past the point you need them. This is probably supposed to make you go back and search and experience the levels more. Personally, I search out things as a I go and have zero inclination to go back once I pass them. Give me what I need before I get there or at least make the back tracking a part of the main story line. I am not the type to go back and get something I did not need just to say I did it. Too many more games to play to waste time with finding a hidden scroll.

The other thing I did not care for was that at times you were forced into shooting and bashing through parts. The sneaking and quietly getting passed or killing the enemies was fun, and done very well in this game. No waiting too long for someone to pass and listen to there dialog pointlessly. This part of the game was done right. If you like hide and seek then you can get a semi fix in this game.

Give me what I need early on and put an on screen map up for me rather than hitting whatever the hell you call the button with 2 squares on the X1 controller. Outside of what are really minor complaints I liked it. Not my game of the year but even if I had paid full price for this I would have not minded. Truthfully, I got this one for 10 bucks and it was well spent. Too bad they had to do that stupid exclusive shit with it. I think it would have sold great on PS4 also. Once it finally hits for PS4 I think people are going to be reluctant to pay full price for a game that even thought it was not available for their system has been out for a while and is fairly well known. If I did not have an X1, I would have just watched it on youtube and probably been satisfied with it. Maybe if it hits PS4 at 39.99 with all the DLC I may be interested, but not full price.

DO NOT SHUT OFF WHEN THE CREDITS ROLL.......
dsheinem wrote:In any case, sorry that my avatar makes you cringe these days, but I haven't really changed my posing habits at all.
wclem
Next-Gen

Post by wclem »

1. Until Dawn (PS4)
2. Rise of Tomb Raider (Xbox One)
3. Ducktakes 2 (NES)

Scrooge is still a greedy fuck!

Is it me or did the level music in the first one sound better?
Last edited by wclem on Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dsheinem wrote:In any case, sorry that my avatar makes you cringe these days, but I haven't really changed my posing habits at all.
Michi
Next-Gen

Post by Michi »

Attack of the Friday Monsters

Cute game, but it's almost more of a visual novel more than anything. The card mini-game and the glim/card collecting are really the only two things that set it apart from a visual novel. I guess you could call it a very light adventure game.

It's got a cute story and great atmosphere that I found quite charming. But it is very short. Somewhere around the 2-4 hour mark, depending on how gun-ho you are about the glims and card games.

My main complaint is that I think it ends too soon. There's a post-game for those who want to finish off any missions that they might have missed. But unless you want to collect all the cards, the post-game completely unnecessary, not to mention time consuming, considering the amount of card games you have to play in order to collect enough glims to get all the cards.

Still, if my biggest complaint is that it's too short, I guess that's still pretty good.