Games Beaten 2016

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2016

Post by Exhuminator »

I remember renting the first Mega Man right about the time it was first released. I distinctly remember thinking it was awesome, but I couldn't get past the damned disappearing reappearing blocks for the longest time. Then I finally made it to Yellow Devil and I couldn't get past the bastard. I didn't know about the pause glitch trick because hell this was 1988 and I was like 9 years old and had zero outside help.

I also rented Mega Man 2 when it came out and was utterly blown away. IIRC I actually beat that one before I had to return the game. MM2 is pretty much perfect. Hell it is perfect. A 10/10 NES game.

I've beaten MM3 but I don't remember much about it, other than I thought the snake level was cool.

Never played much of MM4-8. Guess I should do something about that.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

I think some of you guys might have a year or a few on me, so maybe that's why I missed 1 as a kid and only saw 2, 4, and sometimes 5 around. I remember only renting 3 once, so it was a pretty cool oddity at the time. Hell I couldn't even really read when I played these, I guess I just looked at the different box covers.

I wish I could remember what the video store was, it was something inside of a Hen House and my grandparents always rented the games for me. You'd get these weird little tickets for a rental I think and eventually we got enough to use them for a purchase. I think that's how I got MM6.

It's no joke how spoiled I was with the rentals, my mom and I lived with my grandparents for a few years during my early childhood. It was literally probably weekly or so. We rented these games so often, it pretty much was like I owned them and always had access to some Mega Man game around haha. Probably the most played games next to Blade Master for me on the NES. Mario, Battletoads, Turtles, and Batman were some others.
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

Post by PartridgeSenpai »

Exhuminator wrote:I remember renting the first Mega Man right about the time it was first released. I distinctly remember thinking it was awesome, but I couldn't get past the damned disappearing reappearing blocks for the longest time. Then I finally made it to Yellow Devil and I couldn't get past the bastard. I didn't know about the pause glitch trick because hell this was 1988 and I was like 9 years old and had zero outside help.

I also rented Mega Man 2 when it came out and was utterly blown away. IIRC I actually beat that one before I had to return the game. MM2 is pretty much perfect. Hell it is perfect. A 10/10 NES game.

I've beaten MM3 but I don't remember much about it, other than I thought the snake level was cool.

Never played much of MM4-8. Guess I should do something about that.

You can always pick up the old anniversary collection. It's only like 12 or so dollars on PS2, and only a couple dollars more on Xbox or Gamecube.
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

I do have one nit to pick with Mega Man 2. The turret boss is bullshit. If you don't come in with full Crash Bombs and know exactly what to do you're screwed. If you die mid fight you're screwed.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

1. Portal DS - DS
2. Strong Bad's Cool Game for Attractive People: Episode 4 - Dangeresque 3: The Criminal Projective - PC
3. Metal Slug - Coop - MVS
4. Mario and Luigi RPG 3 - Inside Bowser Story - DS
5. Payday 2 - PC
6. Akalabeath - PC
7. Kings Quest 2 – PC
8. Kings Quest 3 – PC
9. Kings Quest 4 – PC
10. Kings Quest 5 – PC
11. Kings Quest 6 – PC
12. Battle Block Theater – Coop – PC
13. Lode Runner – Apple ][ Plus
14. Space Eggs – Apple ][ Plus
15. SNK vs. Capcom: The Match of the Millennium - NGPC
16. Rex Nebular and the Cosmic Gender Bender - PC
17. Strong Bad's Cool Game for Attractive People: Episode 5 - 8bit is enough

New
18. Cibele - PC
19. Outlaws & Handful of Missions - PC

Cibele - I have had my eye on the title for a while, a friend of mine spoke highly of it, so when it showed up in the Humble Bundle I decided to jump. Cibele is an autobiographical coming of age game about a girl who finds her first love over an MMO - the creator found her first love over FFXI. It is an FMV game, with an "interactive part" of the mmo game, which is a silly clickfest. Most of the game is either the mmo or looking through her computer. The game takes place in 2009 where Cibele/Nina starts up her game and starts talking to her in game friend Ichi/Blake. Over the course of three sections and several months of out of game time, Nina and Blake become close friends and eventually say they love each other. The follows most romances birthed over MMOs that go past flirting and you may have a twinge of familiarity to some of the conversations, or the files and the website she has saved to her desktop. Like most FMV games, it is more or less an interactive movie, though with no way to lose and what feels like mouse smoothing. Overall, I am glad that Nina Freeman shared this part of her life. Sure the game feels slow but overall it is only takes alittle over an hour to see everything.

Outlaws - So after beating Cibele last night I felt like I needed to shoot something. So I beat Outlaws earlier this year, but never played the extra historical missions. I beat all of them but Civil War, I got to the end, missing an item from the beginning of the second act, so close enough. The Historical Missions are long, complicated, and even better than the original. They do not tell a long story, but they are exquisite gameplay. Some of the best level design for an FPS of mid 90s.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

Fast, Cibele is why I grabbed that bundle as well. I'm guessing it's totally mouse-driven? I'm planning to play it on tablet when I get a chance.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

I've also beaten Outlaws. I beat it back in 2006. I remember being surprised at how well the game held up, and how complex its level designs were given the engine it was running on. Best of all the western theme was fully realized and didn't feel tacked on.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

MrPopo wrote:I do have one nit to pick with Mega Man 2. The turret boss is bullshit. If you don't come in with full Crash Bombs and know exactly what to do you're screwed. If you die mid fight you're screwed.

Well, sort of. Provided you still have lives left, any walls you've blown up stay blown up. Makes a subsequent run pretty easy. But you're right, it's probably the one area of iffy design I can think of.
ExedExes
Next-Gen

Post by ExedExes »

Last edited by ExedExes on Mon Jun 27, 2016 6:13 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Xeogred wrote:The obvious answer is that it's time for the Dreamcast 2.
strangenova
Next-Gen

Post by strangenova »

Sarge wrote:
MrPopo wrote:I do have one nit to pick with Mega Man 2. The turret boss is bullshit. If you don't come in with full Crash Bombs and know exactly what to do you're screwed. If you die mid fight you're screwed.

Well, sort of. Provided you still have lives left, any walls you've blown up stay blown up. Makes a subsequent run pretty easy. But you're right, it's probably the one area of iffy design I can think of.
That's always been the low point of the game. Everything just gels so smoothly up til that point. What were they thinking