Games Beaten 2016

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Sarge
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2016

Post by Sarge »

I love King of Dragons as well as Knights of the Round, for different reasons. KoD is awesome in that pretty much every character feels different. You get a lot of mileage out of it. KotR is cool because the combat feels "meaty", this sort of solid feel that I prefer in most of my brawlers/hack-'n'-slashers.

I've had a really hard time getting into the D&D games, for whatever reason. I don't know why. I will, however, heartily recommend Cadash. The TG-16 version is the best home port, but if you're willing to emulate, you might as well jump into the arcade version!
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

Sarge wrote:I love King of Dragons as well as Knights of the Round, for different reasons. KoD is awesome in that pretty much every character feels different. You get a lot of mileage out of it. KotR is cool because the combat feels "meaty", this sort of solid feel that I prefer in most of my brawlers/hack-'n'-slashers.

I've had a really hard time getting into the D&D games, for whatever reason. I don't know why. I will, however, heartily recommend Cadash. The TG-16 version is the best home port, but if you're willing to emulate, you might as well jump into the arcade version!

If you're willing to import, you can also play the arcade version on your Xbox via the region-free Taito Legends 2 (PAL).
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

Glad you liked Axiom Verge, Sarge! Here was my "write up":
viewtopic.php?p=1071659#p1071659

What were your numbers at the end? Easily my favorite "indie" game next to Shovel Knight.

Xeodrifter is a great one and a fun romp. Rex Rocket looks like another good choice for one I'll check out next.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

From my previous post (with some additional info):

Final stats the first time were around 10:05, 76% items, 90% map, 13 deaths. Final stats after collecting a bit more were 12:11, 81-82% items, 96% map, 14 deaths.

I did get one of the translation things (for Sudran). I've got others that I haven't. I'm pretty sure I'm missing a note that will have that info. I did figure out the password that gets you access to the flamethrower. :) It makes the last boss a cinch.

I agree with your assessment that it doesn't dethrone Shovel Knight, which is one of the best retro-style games I've ever played. Freedom Planet comes darn close to being my favorite as well. I mean, I've sunk 22 hours into that game, beating it with all three characters, so it clearly did something right. :)
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

Those are close to my numbers! Nice. I used the Data Bomb on the final boss I believe, it was one of the last weapons I got and pretty awesome. Did you frequent the base weapon throughout most of the game? haha, I did. But some of the others came in handy depending on the situation.

I wish I could get behind Freedom Planet. It has all the right vibes to me, feels like a Saturn game... but for a Sonic styled platformer, I think there is a problem when the levels run way too long. That's my biggest issues with it, some levels would go on for like 10 minutes or something. The bosses took forever too haha. I liked it but didn't stick with it for long.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

I think the secret to that game is to not think of it as a Sonic game. 8)

Seriously, though, the addition of melee gives it a very different feel, so long levels didn't bother me at all... well, maybe a little sometimes. :lol:
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

First 50:
1. Tenchi Sōzō (Super Famicom)
2. Eternal Senia (Steam)
3. Tombs & Treasure (NES)
4. Magic Knight Rayearth (Super Famicom)
5. Zelda no Densetsu: The Hyrule Fantasy (Famicom Disk System)
6. Zelda II: The Adventure of Link (NES)
7. Seiken Psycho Caliber: Majū no Mori Densetsu (Famicom Disk System)
8. Deep Dungeon: Madō Senki (Famicom Disk System)
9. Deep Dungeon II: Yūshi no Monshō (Famicom Disk System)
10. Suishō no Dragon (Famicom Disk System)
11. Dandy: Zeuon no Fukkatsu (Famicom Disk System)
12. Lagoon (SNES)
13. Contra (NES)
14. Super C (NES)
15. Wonder Boy (Sega Master System)
16. OutRun (Sega Master System)
17. OutRun (Genesis)
18. Ninja Gaiden (NES)
19. Written in the Sky (Steam)
20. Wendy: Every Witch Way (Game Boy Color)
21. Mario Bros. (NES)
22. Popeye (NES)
23. Super Mario Bros. (NES)
24. Super Mario Bros. 2 (Famicom Disk System)
25. Phantasy Star II Eusis's Text Adventure (Steam - Sega Mega Drive & Genesis Classics)
26. Phantasy Star II Nei's Text Adventure (Steam - Sega Mega Drive & Genesis Classics)
27. Phantasy Star II Rudger's Text Adventure (Steam - Sega Mega Drive & Genesis Classics)
28. Phantasy Star II Anne's Text Adventure (Steam - Sega Mega Drive & Genesis Classics)
29. Phantasy Star II Huey's Text Adventure (Steam - Sega Mega Drive & Genesis Classics)
30. Phantasy Star II Kinds's Text Adventure (Steam - Sega Mega Drive & Genesis Classics)
31. Phantasy Star II Amia's Text Adventure (Steam - Sega Mega Drive & Genesis Classics)
32. Phantasy Star II Shilka's Text Adventure (Steam - Sega Mega Drive & Genesis Classics)
33. Yume Kōjō: Doki Doki Panic (Famicom Disk System)
34. Super Mario Bros. 2 (NES)
35. Super Mario Advance (Game Boy Advance)
36. Gunman Clive (Nintendo eShop)
37. Zaxxon (Xbox 360 - Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection)
38. Zaxxon (Atari 2600)
39. Zaxxon (Intellivision)
40. Zaxxon (ColecoVision)
41. Cosmic Avenger (ColecoVision)
42. Mr. Do! (ColecoVision)
43. Pepper II (ColecoVision)
44. Kirby's Dream Land (Game Boy)
45. Sakura Spirit (Steam)
46. Ys Eternal (PC)
47. Moon Patrol (Game Boy Color - Arcade Hits: Moon Patrol & Spy Hunter)
48. Ember Kaboom (Steam)
49. Hoshi no Kābī: Yume no Izumi no Monogatari (Famicom)
50. Guardian Heroes (Saturn)

51. Akumajō Dracula (Famicom Disk System)
52. Castlevania (NES)
53. Classic NES Series: Castlevania (Game Boy Advance)
54. Guardian Heroes (Xbox Live Arcade)
55. Metal Slug (Neo Geo MVS)
56. Metal Slug 2 (Neo Geo MVS)
57. Metal Slug 3 (Neo Geo MVS)
58. Soul of Darkness (DSiWare)
59. Code of Princess (3DS)
60. Super Mario Bros. 3 (NES)
61. Super Mario Land (Game Boy)
62. The Legend of Zelda 2: Link no Bōken (Famicom Disk System)
63. Phantasy Star Online: Blue Burst (PC)
64. Shan Gui (Steam)
65. Space Fury (ColecoVision)
66. Smurf: Rescue in Gargamel's Castle (ColecoVision)
67. Gateway to Apshai (ColecoVision)
68. MURI (Steam)
69. Pink Hour (Steam)
70. Pink Heaven (Steam)
71. Planetarian: The Reverie of a Little Planet (Steam)
72. Princess Remedy in a World of Hurt (Steam)
73. Haunted House (Atari 2600)
74. Gremlins (Atari 2600)
75. Alien (Atari 2600)
76. Xenophobe (Xbox - Midway Arcade Treasures 2)
77. Frankenstein's Monster (Atari 2600)
78. Ghost Manor / Spike's Peak (Atari 2600)
79. Higurashi When They Cry Hou - Ch.1 Onikakushi (Steam)
80. Dracula II: Noroi no Fūin (Famicom Disk System)
81. Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (NES)
82. Beneath the Cherry Trees (Steam)
83. Voices from the Sea (Steam)
84. Mushihimesama (Steam)
85. Sonic CD (Steam)
86. Shovel Knight (Wii U)
87. Super Mario World (SNES)
88. Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins (Game Boy)
89. Operation C (Game Boy)
90. Metroid (Famicom Disk System)
91. Metroid (NES)
92. Breath of Fire (SNES)
93. Elisa: The Innkeeper - Prequel (Steam)
94. Cally's Caves 3 (Steam)
95. eden* (Steam)
96. Sonic the Hedgehog (Genesis)
97. The King of Dragons (PlayStation 2 - Capcom Classics Collection Vol. 2)
98. Knights of the Round (PlayStation 2 - Capcom Classics Collection Vol. 2)
99. Dungeons & Dragons: Tower of Doom (PlayStation 3 - Dungeons & Dragons: Chronicles of Mystara)

As a kid I had a cursory interest in D&D, but I didn't know anyone who was into the tabletop game and the NES games always looked way too stat heavy and intense for me. I guess you could say they were too....... Advanced.

So, I was thrilled to discover this arcade game at the age of 11 or so. It presented the grand fantastic D&D world in terms I could understand. Having a female in the roster is nice: I always play as the elf. She's fast with a lil sword and huge arsenal of spells. There are all sorts of neat tricks to pull off in combat. You can inflict heavy attacks, crouch, dash, beat on enemies while they're down, and a few other thangs. The RPG elements are ramped up here (this is D&D after all) - in addition to XP and level-ups there are branching pathways and currency to spend at merchants' shops.

The game looks sexy as hell. I love the bosses. That dual panther thing with tendrils used to scare the shit out of me.

One caveat: though the PS3 game is a nice physical release it is in Japanese and the game is surprisingly text heavy. Get it on Steam or whatever for inglés.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

First 50:
1. Tenchi Sōzō (Super Famicom)
2. Eternal Senia (Steam)
3. Tombs & Treasure (NES)
4. Magic Knight Rayearth (Super Famicom)
5. Zelda no Densetsu: The Hyrule Fantasy (Famicom Disk System)
6. Zelda II: The Adventure of Link (NES)
7. Seiken Psycho Caliber: Majū no Mori Densetsu (Famicom Disk System)
8. Deep Dungeon: Madō Senki (Famicom Disk System)
9. Deep Dungeon II: Yūshi no Monshō (Famicom Disk System)
10. Suishō no Dragon (Famicom Disk System)
11. Dandy: Zeuon no Fukkatsu (Famicom Disk System)
12. Lagoon (SNES)
13. Contra (NES)
14. Super C (NES)
15. Wonder Boy (Sega Master System)
16. OutRun (Sega Master System)
17. OutRun (Genesis)
18. Ninja Gaiden (NES)
19. Written in the Sky (Steam)
20. Wendy: Every Witch Way (Game Boy Color)
21. Mario Bros. (NES)
22. Popeye (NES)
23. Super Mario Bros. (NES)
24. Super Mario Bros. 2 (Famicom Disk System)
25. Phantasy Star II Eusis's Text Adventure (Steam - Sega Mega Drive & Genesis Classics)
26. Phantasy Star II Nei's Text Adventure (Steam - Sega Mega Drive & Genesis Classics)
27. Phantasy Star II Rudger's Text Adventure (Steam - Sega Mega Drive & Genesis Classics)
28. Phantasy Star II Anne's Text Adventure (Steam - Sega Mega Drive & Genesis Classics)
29. Phantasy Star II Huey's Text Adventure (Steam - Sega Mega Drive & Genesis Classics)
30. Phantasy Star II Kinds's Text Adventure (Steam - Sega Mega Drive & Genesis Classics)
31. Phantasy Star II Amia's Text Adventure (Steam - Sega Mega Drive & Genesis Classics)
32. Phantasy Star II Shilka's Text Adventure (Steam - Sega Mega Drive & Genesis Classics)
33. Yume Kōjō: Doki Doki Panic (Famicom Disk System)
34. Super Mario Bros. 2 (NES)
35. Super Mario Advance (Game Boy Advance)
36. Gunman Clive (Nintendo eShop)
37. Zaxxon (Xbox 360 - Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection)
38. Zaxxon (Atari 2600)
39. Zaxxon (Intellivision)
40. Zaxxon (ColecoVision)
41. Cosmic Avenger (ColecoVision)
42. Mr. Do! (ColecoVision)
43. Pepper II (ColecoVision)
44. Kirby's Dream Land (Game Boy)
45. Sakura Spirit (Steam)
46. Ys Eternal (PC)
47. Moon Patrol (Game Boy Color - Arcade Hits: Moon Patrol & Spy Hunter)
48. Ember Kaboom (Steam)
49. Hoshi no Kābī: Yume no Izumi no Monogatari (Famicom)
50. Guardian Heroes (Saturn)

51. Akumajō Dracula (Famicom Disk System)
52. Castlevania (NES)
53. Classic NES Series: Castlevania (Game Boy Advance)
54. Guardian Heroes (Xbox Live Arcade)
55. Metal Slug (Neo Geo MVS)
56. Metal Slug 2 (Neo Geo MVS)
57. Metal Slug 3 (Neo Geo MVS)
58. Soul of Darkness (DSiWare)
59. Code of Princess (3DS)
60. Super Mario Bros. 3 (NES)
61. Super Mario Land (Game Boy)
62. The Legend of Zelda 2: Link no Bōken (Famicom Disk System)
63. Phantasy Star Online: Blue Burst (PC)
64. Shan Gui (Steam)
65. Space Fury (ColecoVision)
66. Smurf: Rescue in Gargamel's Castle (ColecoVision)
67. Gateway to Apshai (ColecoVision)
68. MURI (Steam)
69. Pink Hour (Steam)
70. Pink Heaven (Steam)
71. Planetarian: The Reverie of a Little Planet (Steam)
72. Princess Remedy in a World of Hurt (Steam)
73. Haunted House (Atari 2600)
74. Gremlins (Atari 2600)
75. Alien (Atari 2600)
76. Xenophobe (Xbox - Midway Arcade Treasures 2)
77. Frankenstein's Monster (Atari 2600)
78. Ghost Manor / Spike's Peak (Atari 2600)
79. Higurashi When They Cry Hou - Ch.1 Onikakushi (Steam)
80. Dracula II: Noroi no Fūin (Famicom Disk System)
81. Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (NES)
82. Beneath the Cherry Trees (Steam)
83. Voices from the Sea (Steam)
84. Mushihimesama (Steam)
85. Sonic CD (Steam)
86. Shovel Knight (Wii U)
87. Super Mario World (SNES)
88. Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins (Game Boy)
89. Operation C (Game Boy)
90. Metroid (Famicom Disk System)
91. Metroid (NES)
92. Breath of Fire (SNES)
93. Elisa: The Innkeeper - Prequel (Steam)
94. Cally's Caves 3 (Steam)
95. eden* (Steam)
96. Sonic the Hedgehog (Genesis)
97. The King of Dragons (PlayStation 2 - Capcom Classics Collection Vol. 2)
98. Knights of the Round (PlayStation 2 - Capcom Classics Collection Vol. 2)
99. Dungeons & Dragons: Tower of Doom (PlayStation 3 - Dungeons & Dragons: Chronicles of Mystara)
100. Dungeons & Dragons: Shadow over Mystara (PlayStation 3 - Dungeons & Dragons: Chronicles of Mystara)

Like the previous game but even better, with the RPG elements cranked up even higher. I played as the elf again, who has an absolute crapload of magic. More spells than I even knew what do with.

Some aspects seem inspired by console JRPGs. Magic and subweapons are selected via a "ring" menu straight out of Secret of Mana, and spells have a similar homing effect. There's also a raft section that's reminiscent of Final Fantasy VI; I was expecting to see a wisecracking octopus show up at the end.

I found a "trick" to defeat some of the later bosses easily. A magic spell would stun them, I'd get in a few hits, and then cast a spell again once the stun wore off. If one spell ran out of MP I'd switch to another; this was the most difficult part as I'd tend to fumble with the ring controls in the heat of battle. It was a solid strategy, though it didn't work against the final boss for she is UNSTUNABLE.

Great game but Guardian Heroes is still THE GOAT OF RPG 'EM UPS.

100 games? Okay. Know what? I'm done for the year. Feeling a bit burned out and I have some other hobbies I'd like to explore for these next few weeks.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

Owlboy is done. It was pretty good, but not amazing like the gushing reviews out there. There's no question that it's polished. The presentation, everything from the graphics to the soundtrack to the dialogue and story beats, it's all astounding stuff. But the moment-to-moment gameplay is just... pleasant. Decent enough. Not outstanding. That's okay, of course, it wouldn't be the first 16/32-bit style game that traded on spectacle, but that's exactly what we have here.

I'll try to write up a little more detail later. I know it sounds like I'm ragging on it (and I kinda am), but it's still a good game. Just not as good as it probably could have been.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

130. Alcahest | SFC | 1993 | 7/10

A Japan exclusive action-RPG developed by HAL Labs, released in 1993 for the Super Famicom. The player plays the part of Alen, a knight working with magical guardians to stop an ancient evil from resurrecting. Combat is sword and magic based, nothing groundbreaking. Alcahest is barely an action-RPG really, as experience points only gain extra lives, not levels. Also the game is broken up into stages, rather than a continuous world. The above average graphics and decent OST somewhat make up for repetitive game design and unbalanced difficulty. The best stuff is the offensive magic system and the varied partners that aid the player. Alcahest may not be the best action-RPG you can find on SFC, but it would have been received positively if released in the West. Should you still bother to play old games and enjoy its genre, Alcahest is worth importing or emulating. Yes there is an English fan translation.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.