Games Beaten 2016

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
ExedExes
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2016

Post by ExedExes »

1. Flag to Flag - Dreamcast (January 12)
2. The Battle of Olympus - NES (January 18)
3. Thunder Force AC - Arcade/MAME (February 6)
4. Golden Axe - Arcade/MAME (February 14)
5. Rod-Land - Arcade/MAME (February 22)
6. Xexyz - NES (March 14)
7. Smuggler's Run: Warzones - Gamecube (March 26)
8. Rad Racer - NES (March 27)
9. Rad Racer II - NES (March 27)

10. *NEW* Rise of the Triad 2013 - PC (April 23)

My latest FPS completion. This was a 2013 remake of the 1994 game, now using Unreal Engine 3. The five selectable characters are back as are all of the classic weapons, enemies, GADs and jump-pads. Anything that you might have remembered from the first game makes an appearance here. There were lots of callbacks to the original game and other classic Apogee moments such as Wolfenstein 3D and Duke Nukem. The difficulty was fair in many spots, but when it got harder it wasn't terribly frustrating. It's as good as a remake/update gets.
Xeogred wrote:The obvious answer is that it's time for the Dreamcast 2.
ZBomber
8-bit

Post by ZBomber »

So far this year:

Xenoblade Chronicles X (~90 hours)
Until Dawn
The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess HD
Super Mario World
Sonic Adventure
Shovel Knight

I'm currently playing Majora's Mask and Ratchet and Clank PS4 with a friend, Star Fox Zero and Fire Emblem Fates. There is a pretty big lull in new games coming out this year that I'm interested in, so it's gonna give me some time to work on my backlog. I'm planning on tackling The Legend of Zelda (Famicom Disk), Super Mario Sunshine, and Mother 1 next.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

I played floppy Zelda earlier in the year. It's pretty fun, though as expected it's nearly identical to the NES game. Load times are kept to a minimum, which is nice.

And Mother is solid.
ZBomber
8-bit

Post by ZBomber »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:I played floppy Zelda earlier in the year. It's pretty fun, though as expected it's nearly identical to the NES game. Load times are kept to a minimum, which is nice.

And Mother is solid.

I'm really excited for the enhanced audio! I already booted it up once to the title screen to test it out and it's really cool to hear a song you've known for the past 25+ years in a whole new light.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Yeah the tunes sound fantastic, but the sound effects are much worse. It's pretty hilarious.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

1. Shadow Warrior - Playstation 4 - January 1
2. The Order: 1886 - Playstation 4 - January 2
3. Dead Rising: Chop Till You Drop - Wii - January 3
4. NyxQuest: Kindred Spirits - WiiWare - January 4
5. Hatsune Miku: Project DIVA F 2nd - Vita - January 5
6. Shadow the Hedgehog - Gamecube - January 9
7. Fairy Bloom Freeia - Steam - January 10
8. Petit Novel Series: Harvest December - 3DS - January 13
9. Gas Guzzlers Extreme - Steam - January 14
10. Muramasa: The Demon Blade - Wii - January 16
11. Project Zero 2: Wii Edition - Wii - January 19
12. Killzone: Liberation - PSP - January 20
13. Sin & Punishment: Star Successor - Wii - January 20
14. Kirby's Epic Yarn - Wii - January 24
15. Sakura Wars: So Long, My Love - Wii - January 25
16. Corpse Party - PSP - January 25
17. Freedom Planet - Wii U - January 25
18. Earth Defense Force 2: Invaders from Planet Space - Vita - January 25
19. Silent Hill: Homecoming - Xbox 360 - January 26
20. Life is Strange - Playstation 4 - January 28
21. Corpse Party: Book of Shadows - PSP - February 2
22. Megadimension Neptunia VII - Playstation 4 - February 12
23. Dr. Discord's Conquest - NES - February 13
24. Corpse Party: Blood Drive - Vita - February 17
25. If My Heart Had Wings - Steam - February 18
26. Missing: An Interactive Thriller - Steam - February 18
27. Her Story - Steam - February 18
28. Fire Emblem Fates: Birthright - 3DS - February 26
29. Saints Row 2 - Steam - March 1
30. Saturday Morning RPG - Playstation 4 - March 3
31. Fire Emblem Fates: Conquest - 3DS - March 6
32. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze - Wii U - March 8
33. Pokken Tournament - Wii U - March 20
34. Moe Chronicle - Vita - March 22
35. Tom Clancey's The Division - Playstation 4 - March 23
36. Yoshi's New Island - 3DS - March 28
37. Alien Rage - Steam - April 1
38. Alien Breed: Impact - Steam - April 2
39. Alien Breed 2: Assault - Steam - April 3
40. Alien Breed 3: Descent - Steam - April 3
41. Bravely Second: Ballad of the Three Cavaliers - 3DS - April 6
42. Quantum Break - Xbox One - April 7
43. Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric - Wii U - April 8
44. Akai Katana - Xbox 360 - April 9
45. Otomedius Excellent - Xbox 360 - April 9
46. Chasing Dead - Wii U - April 10
47. Fire Emblem Fates: Revelation - 3DS - April 14
48. Ratchet and Clank - Playstation 4 - April 20
49. Starfox Zero - Wii U - April 23

Starfox Zero, if you couldn't tell by the fact that I've beaten 24 hours after it arrived at my house, is not a long game. It is, however, a very GOOD game. I know that Nintendo fans have been a bit divided on the game since it's reveal, but I'm a huge fan of this game. It's basically halfway a remake of Starfox 64 and halfway a full reboot of the series.

One of the cool things about the game is that you have some vehicle diversity. You, of course, start with the Arwing which can transform into a sort of AT-ST looking thing (although it moves much faster than the Empire's chicken walker). You've also got your iconic Landmaster tank which can transform into a...flying...tank...thing? I don't know, but it's nifty. Lastly, you've got a helichopper sort of thing. I'm bad with name. BUT, putting aside my inability to remember names, the vehicle diversity gives the game some solid diversity.

The game is set up much like Starfox 64 - depending on how you play through a mission, your path through the game will change. It also has come cool (albeit useless) amiibo functionality. Scanning a Fox amiibo will change your vehicle into the "Retro Arwing" which looks like the original Starfox's polygon ship. Scanning a Falco amiibo will change your vehicle into the "Black Arwing" which looks like sex.

Part of what will be divisive for players, I think, is the motion control. You control your Arwing primarily with the gamepad for maneuvering and firing, but your big screen aim is like aiming a shotgun at distance - it's kind of okay, but you won't hit much. For precision aiming, you need to look at the gamepad and move the crosshair by moving the gamepad. I really like it (even if I wasn't very good at it), but I suspect that for many, that alone will be a complete turn off for the game. You can, as I discovered while fighting the last boss, switch it so that the cockpit view is on the TV and the third person view is on the gamepad, an orientation I much preferred.

My only gripe is with the way they tried to make it more approachable. Instead of having regular difficulty settings, the whole game has a set difficulty, and when you fail a mission three times, it gives you invincibility. I mean, Nintendo has done it that way in numerous games before, but I'm personally not a fan of it; I'd rather have a regular difficulty setting because those last couple stages kicked my ass up and down the street, but I didn't want to straight up god-mode it. Oh well. Minor gripe in the grand scheme of things.

Also, I wish it had some online gameplay, but that's an EXTREMELY minor gripe IMO.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

Post by PartridgeSenpai »

I'll probably pick up SFZero then eventually, since it sounds like fun :)

I'd get it sooner, but considering that I only JUST found out that Star Fox Assault is a thing (by seeing it in a second hand shop a couple days ago), that one takes priority at the moment :I
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

PartridgeSenpai wrote:I'll probably pick up SFZero then eventually, since it sounds like fun :)

I'd get it sooner, but considering that I only JUST found out that Star Fox Assault is a thing (by seeing it in a second hand shop a couple days ago), that one takes priority at the moment :I

I still need that one, Command, and 64 3D. I've got Adventures, but I haven't played it (and have heard that it's rubbish, but I intend to play it and judge for myself).

ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

PartridgeSenpai wrote:I'll probably pick up SFZero then eventually, since it sounds like fun :)

Also, having Starfox Guard packaged in makes it extra worth it. I'm hoping to finish that game tonight and get a review up tonight or tomorrow.

MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

ElkinFencer10 wrote:

I still need that one, Command, and 64 3D. I've got Adventures, but I haven't played it (and have heard that it's rubbish, but I intend to play it and judge for myself).

Command is weird; it's most similar to the unreleased Star Fox 2. It uses a similar map view, and all the battles are all-range mode. It also has the most crazy branching storyline (though you don't get to unlock that until after your first playthrough). The game has something like eight endings, each one drastically different from the next.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.