Games Beaten 2016

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
MrPopo

Re: Games Beaten 2016

Post by MrPopo »

If you do go back and play it you'll want the Anniversary Edition mod; it lets you play on modern systems.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

Thanks for the pro tip. I've been waiting on GOG to pick it up, but that doesn't seem to be happening all too soon.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised to see there was some sort of fractured rights issue. I was able to get a copy in jewel case from Amazon for less than $10, so that's always an option.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

1) Bonk's Adventure (NES)
2) Little Samson

I wasn't kidding about playing Little Samson. It's a tougher game than Bonk, but the copious amounts of lives keeps things manageable. I hate the big dragon boss for his insta-kill maneuver, and the last boss can be tricky, too. The game's all sorts of awesome, though... but it's not over $1000 awesome. Thank goodness for emulation.

Also, in some ways, it feels like it's got a bit of Mega Man DNA. I'm sure part of that is the character swapping, but the boss life meters and some other aspects also give it that feel. Perhaps the main character's use of bells that are quite a bit similar to Mega Man's buster. The Golem is awesome, too. One of the few games where the slow character doesn't actually suck.

Of all the games I could play next, though, I picked Holy Diver. Yikes, that's a hard one. I managed to get up to stage 4 before I ran out of steam. I'd like to find somewhere that has a save state for the game so I don't have to do all that again... because this one feels like a game that might take more of my patience than I'll actually have in one sitting. Assuming, of course, I'm capable of beating it. Some say it's tougher than Battletoads...
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Oni = best Rockstar Games game (yes I know they just published).

Damn you dudes have started the year fast and furiously.
arcadifvid
32-bit

Post by arcadifvid »

day 2 of 2016, just finished metal slug 2 for the first time i think.
i never realized just how bad the slow downs this game has till now.
marurun

Post by marurun »

arcadifvid wrote:day 2 of 2016, just finished metal slug 2 for the first time i think.
i never realized just how bad the slow downs this game has till now.

Yeah, I don't think their engine was ready for all the crap they threw in. That's probably part of why they released Metal Slug X. It's sort of a remake/special edition of 2, with less slowdown and more crap going on. That said, I do have a soft spot for 2 and played it a lot in the arcades in Japan.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

You are all amateurs. I have already beaten two games this year!

1. Ultimate NES Remix (3DS)
2. Space Invaders Infinity Gene (iOS)

Ultimate NES Remix (3DS) is basically a gauntlet of WarioWare-style challenges base on Classic NES games. You on stars based on how quickly you complete the challenges, and earning stars unlock more levels. Most of the challenges are pulled directly from classic games, but a few of them are "remixes" that mash the games together or alter the mechanics. The game is a lot of fun, but I thought it was a bit too easy. (I play these games a lot as a child, however; so, I knew what I was doing going into each challenge. If I had never played these games before, the game would probably have been a lot harder.). Regardless, it was a lot of fun, and it was nice to get reacquainted with the gameplay mechanics of some classic games I have not played in a while. The game would also be great for someone looking to practice difficult sections of classic games, or someone looking to learn how to play Classic NES titles. (The game could have been retitled Classic NES Training.)

Space Invaders Infinity Gene (iOS) is a fantastic shmup with excallent art direction, an excellent soundtrack, and great scoring mechanics. It also made me realize how great touch controls are for this genre. Since the game lets you continue at the beginning of each stage, it is a bit too easy, but trying to 1cc it would be an exceptional challenge. The DLC, while great for nostalgia purposes, is also a bit overpriced for what it is. That said, I still loved the game, and I recommend it very highly.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

Dude. Look a few posts up. ;)
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Uh oh...... prfsnl_gmr getting into the iOS scene.

I can't wait until he discovers Steam. The floodgates are really gonna open.