What's your 2015 Game of the Year?

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Re: What's your 2015 Game of the Year?

Post by Exhuminator »

dsheinem wrote:Does anyone know why, even though I beat Shovel Knight on the 3DS and downloaded the updates/Plague of Shadows free expansion, I still can't get it to show up on the main menu of the game? Any thoughts? I am still trying to get through a few more 2015 games over the next week or so, and this is one of them...

Have you tried this?:

Input the codes on the Title Screen

Plague Knight Adventure Mode: (Hold Attack Button) Up, Up, Right, Down, Left, Left (Release Attack Button)

Plague Knight Challenge Mode: (Hold Attack Button) Up, Up, Left, Up, Up, Right, Up, Down, Up (Release Attack Button)

To play 'Plague of Shadows', create a new profile and select 'Plague Knight' in the Character Select menu.

It's from GameFAQs. If it's wrong don't hate
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
IrishNinja
64-bit

Post by IrishNinja »

feel bad voting having not yet played Witcher 3, Undertale, MGS5, Splatoon etc but i'm going with Yakuza 5, and Bloodborne as a close 2nd!
Markies
Next-Gen

Post by Markies »

Here is a repost from my Backloggery, but these are my 2015 Lists. I don't play Modern Games, so these are new games I bought and games I have never beaten before.

2015 was a year of first's for me!

In January, I went to MAGFest for the very first time. This was my first fan gaming convention and the first time I was able to meet many of my internet heroes including Drumble, Try4ce, and Lyndis from the Backloggery, Roo from Clan of the Gray Wolf and several other Retroware Family members. It was an unbelievable experience even though I lost my voice during the entire process. I was able to score games that I could not find anywhere else and hang out with a group of like minded people. It was very memorable and one I hope to attend again in the future.

Throughout the early months of the year, I finally was able to expand my collection. I procured a Sony Trinitron Television and that spurred me to purchase some new consoles that I have always wanted to buy. So, by the end of the summer, I had a working DreamCast, GameCube and original XBOX. Of course, I had to even out my Backlog, so I bought WAY more games this year than any other year in the past. At one time, I was under 100 Unfinished games and I hope to get there in the future once again.

But, let us move onto my yearly list. First up, we have the 2015 Best New Games List. This is a list of games that I purchased this year and they are ranked at how excited I was to get them, to have them in my collection and how rare they are.

10. SoulCalibur (DC)
9. Mario Kart: Double Dash!! (GCN)
8. Fire Emblem: Path Of Radiance (GCN)
7. The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker (GCN)
6. Half-Life 2 (XBX)
5. Super Smash Brothers Melee (GCN)
4. Final Fantasy II (NES)
3. Koudelka (PS1)
2. Tales Of Destiny (PS1)
1. Final Fantasy III (NES)

Now, here we go! It's time for my 2015 Best Games Beat List. These are the best games that I beat this year ranked to my favorite one. The only qualification was that I had to beat it for the first time in 2015, so here we go!

10. Prince Of Persia: Sands Of Time (XBX)
9. God Of War (PS2)
8. Earthbound (SNES)
7. Zelda II: The Adventure Of Link (NES)
6. Legend Of Mana (PS1)
5. SoulCalibur (DC)
4. Metroid Prime (GCN)
3. Atelier Iris 2: The Azoth Of Destiny (PS2)
2. Mario Kart: Double Dash!! (GCN)
1. Super Smash Bros. Melee (GCN)

For 2016, I would love to get under 100 Unfinished Games once again, but I don't know if that is going to happen. I know I'm not going to buy as much and I got some new tweaks to my gaming schedule coming, so hopefully I'll just beat a ton of games this year!
laurenhiya21
Next-Gen

Post by laurenhiya21 »

A lot of lame stuff happened this year so I didn't exactly get to play as much as I would of liked, but I did play quite a number of really great games. The best of the bunch for me was definitely Undertale. I know that's not exactly original with the number of people raving about it recently, but it really is incredibly good! The characters are interesting, it's legitimately both funny and depressing, the art is great, the music is even better, and the combat is fun. It's pretty rare for me to like a game so much, so I'm really happy I played it :)

Other games I really enjoyed playing this year (in no particular order):
Tokyo Jungle
Hatoful Boyfriend
Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni - Ch.1 Onikakushi
Ziggurat
Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc
Sorcery Saga: Curse of the Great Curry God
Trauma Team

I'm having an incredibly difficult time thinking of what quick thing to say for those, but I had a really great time playing all of them.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

laurenhiya21 wrote:Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni - Ch.1 Onikakushi

I downloaded this recently and will play it soon.

I read the first 12 or so manga volumes some years ago and enjoyed a great deal, but then the story really seemed to go off the rails and I lost interest.

Part 2 is also on Steam now, as of November I think.
laurenhiya21
Next-Gen

Post by laurenhiya21 »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:
laurenhiya21 wrote:Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni - Ch.1 Onikakushi

I downloaded this recently and will play it soon.

I read the first 12 or so manga volumes some years ago and enjoyed a great deal, but then the story really seemed to go off the rails and I lost interest.

Part 2 is also on Steam now, as of November I think.

Ah nice :D I haven't read the manga so I can't really compare the two... but Umineko's manga was not as good as it's visual novel so it may be the same case here? Not really sure but I do hope you enjoy it. It starts out a little slow but the first chapter gets really good.

I also have the second chapter but I haven't gotten the chance to read it yet :|
Pulsar_t
Next-Gen

Post by Pulsar_t »

http://indiegamereviewer.com/top-10-bes ... games-2015

I think it's official that indies have become better than big-publisher games in 2015.
Thy ban hammer shalt strike Image
Sload Soap
Next-Gen

Post by Sload Soap »

Best game I played this year and also from this year was MGSV. I just really loved nearly everything about it. Felt more like an open world Splinter Cell game with some typically weird Kojima trappings than a MGS game. I know that is what ended up turning lots of people off it but after playing the MGS games again this year, the series' actual gameplay was lagging behind the times around MGS2 so I have no issues with changing things up. Also D-Dog is just the best with his little eye patch. Shit plot (in MGS terms) but I loved it.

It was pushed closely though by Wolfenstein: The New Order which is a bombastic and fantastic shooter; Ninja Gaiden (NES) which is about as good as 8-Bit action gaming gets; Batman (NES) which showed the flashier Arkham Knight that less is sometimes more and Kirby's Adventure which is both an almost flawless platformer and an incredible technical achievement.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

Now it's time for my top 10 games beaten this year:

10. Shovel Knight - I was skeptical about this one, as I've thought most, if not all, of WayForward's stuff was overrated, and I know some Yacht Club guys used to be part of WayForward. I was wrong though. This is a blast, and it reminded me of the first time I played MegaMan 9, my favourite in that series. I still need to play Plague of Shadows, and I look forward to it.

9. Metroid: Zero Mission - My last unbeaten 2D Metroid, and where better to finish then kinda at the start. But better. I still prefer Super Metroid, but this is a totally different experience - fast and action packed rather than careful and atmospheric. Both are great, and this is worth the slightly inflated prices it gets.

8. Bayonetta - I wasn't sure about this one at first, and it's still not really my favourite genre, but the experience was so over-the-top and ridiculous and I had a blast playing through. My girlfriend really enjoyed watching me play it too, which is pretty rare. Ready to play the second on Wii U as well soon.

7. Banjo-Tooie - I love Rare's platformers - I adore Banjo Kazooie and unlike many I also love Donkey Kong 64. Of the 3, I think Banjo-Tooie is probably the weakest as the worlds are the size of DK64 with the content of Banjo Kazooie so they feel too spread out between achieving things. That said, it's still an absolute blast to play, with tight controls, fun chaaracters and interesting challenges. Rare's N64 output is phenomenal.

6. Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater - Metal Gear Solid is a series I've been getting into over the last few years, having played the first 2 MGS games, the 2 MSX games and the GBC entry over the last two years. MGS3 is in a league of it's own though - it feels more stealth orientated thaan the first 2 MGS games, but it also does it so much better. The boss fights are memorable and the story is engrossing. I love the Bond-esque soundtrack and the cold war setting too.

5. Kaeru no Tame ni Kane wa Naru [For The Frog The Bell Tolls] - For the Frog the Bell Tolls is the best Game Boy game that we never got to play. A comedic adventure game that feels a bit like zelda but is completely unique, it's funny, has good pacing, great level design and some challenge. The fan translation patch is very well done too. Considering this was a relatively early GB release, Nintendo were crazy not to localise this one, it's fantastic.

4. Märchen Adventure Cotton 100% - Cotton is a series I've been interested in for some time, and I finally got to play this, the cheapest entry in an expensive series. And damn it was worth it. It's pretty easy by shmup standards, but it's colourful, fun and offers lots of replay value with different weapon loadouts. I love the eccentricity too - every level ends with Tea Time, where you grab as much tea as possible as it rains from the sky.

3. Splatoon - The only release on this list that came out this year, Splatoon is the game that finally drew me in to online gaming. The shooting action is brilliant, and I love the aiming adjustment with the gamepad. Fun play modes, interesting weapons and a short but fun single player campaign round it out beautifully. Plus it's nice to see a new Nintendo IP perform so well!

2. Jet Force Gemini - When I started this game I didn't expect it to rank so high. The controls were a bit of a pain, the character designs felt a bit generic and...'Dreamworks-y' which I hate and I'd heard horror stories about the Tribal hunting. But the game was fun, the levels offered variety, the controls made sense after some practice, and I loved the classic British humour. It's not Rare's best on the system, for sure (hint: It's still Banjo Kazooie), but it's way, way better than people give it credit for. I loved it.

1. The Last Story - Another surprise entry on the list, at least for me. The Last Story is the second best RPG of last generation (sorry, Xenoblade still trumps it for me) and is unfairly forgotten next to it's Operation Rainfall counterpart. For those of you that don't like Xenoblade, you should give this a try - it takes the complete opposite approach. It's short, character focused and action orientated. There's no grinding, no major focus on sidequests and very little filler in general - a very focused RPG experience. Despite it's minimalist battle system, it manages to offer a ton of strategy to make use of in battles, and a compelling story drives you to press onwards. Make sure you play this, it's fantastic.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

I think The Last Story is better than Xenoblade and probably the finest JRPG of its era...good pick!