Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
whitewolfarctic
8-bit

Re: Randomly recommend an unknown or underrated game.

by whitewolfarctic Fri Mar 25, 2016 12:03 am

I think Echo Night Beyond earns a mention. I've never completed it, but it's one of the most atmospheric games I've ever played brimming with mystery. The game is really beautiful too, you explore a haunted space station. There is no combat so your only way to combat the ghost is to run away before you have a heart attack. Definitely worth getting, especially if you're a big collector. There's a game before it called Echo Night on the PS1. I own it but have never played it, so I don't know if it's any good or not.

Blood Will Tell is a good one too. Terrible camera system, but some of my favorite boss battles. You play as a samurai who had 48 body parts taken from some fiends and you have to get them back by defeating them. It's cool getting back your arms and legs and stuff as you play. Really unique idea I think.
Sarge
Next-Gen

by Sarge Fri Mar 25, 2016 12:38 am

I bought a copy of Blood Will Tell from GameStop when they were clearing stuff out, but the disc was defective. Sadness ensued. It's not exactly cheap!
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Fri Mar 25, 2016 11:20 am

whitewolfarctic wrote:There's a game before it called Echo Night on the PS1. I own it but have never played it, so I don't know if it's any good or not.

Nice recommendations, and anything From Software is worth checking out, absolutely.

Just as an addendum to your post, for those that don't know, Echo Night 2 (on PS1) got a complete English fan translation not too long ago:

Echo Night: The Lord of Nightmares
http://www.romhacking.net/translations/2380/

So now we can play the whole Echo Night trilogy in English. 8)
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
whitewolfarctic
8-bit

by whitewolfarctic Fri Mar 25, 2016 12:32 pm

Hmm, I thought there were only two of them. I like collecting so I'll probably get the second one to complete the trilogy.
marlowe221
Next-Gen

by marlowe221 Wed Mar 30, 2016 11:50 am

If you like ARPGs (Diablo 2/Torchlight series) you really need to playing Grim Dawn.
Have: Sega Genesis, SNES, Atari 2600, Atari 7800, Atari 800XL, PC, N3DS XL, Wii U, GBA, Xbox One, Switch

Want: Games!!!
ninjainspandex
Next-Gen

by ninjainspandex Sun Apr 17, 2016 9:24 pm

Been playing this game this weekend, A great game that feels like the Desert Strike games.

BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Sun Apr 17, 2016 10:32 pm

A bizarre and brutal SRPG on Super Famicom. I enjoy it quite a bit.
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

by PartridgeSenpai Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:22 pm

BoneSnapDeez wrote:

A bizarre and brutal SRPG on Super Famicom. I enjoy it quite a bit.

Consdiering it's an Enix (at least published) SFC game of any description, that isn't hard for me to believe Xp

Blood Will Tell sounds so cool! I can't believe there's a game based on "Dororo" that actually came out in the West! On a side note, I highly recommend the film "Dororo" that Toho put out a few years ago. Very cool theme and effects for what's basically an action film.
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
Anapan
Next-Gen

by Anapan Sun Apr 24, 2016 4:34 am

Blood will tell- I was really psyched when I found it - the Dodoro connection, and the production values. I was really getting into it, then got called to work. Just checked - my save game's still on the memory card. Leaving for work again tomorrow morning - no time! I was having a great time - it's so good!

Mass Destruction - Played it a bunch on PC and it was awesome - loved the old school 3D effects.
Wasn't there an open source engine remake made well playable a few years ago?
Edit: - nope Total Annihilation - tanks, but RTS & not 3D 3rd person. Still worth a look if your're into RTS tho. It had gone way past TA limitations even years ago - the many from-scratch games made in it are much more impressive (at least they were when I test-played a few of them years ago...) and not even that derivative-feeling.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Ograten

by Ograten Fri Apr 29, 2016 5:55 pm

Sarge wrote:I played King of Demons multiple times last year. I even finished it on Hard mode! It's a ton of fun. While it may look graphically simple because of the sprite sizes, that also helps give more screen real estate, making it feel more like an amped-up NES game than the more claustrophobic 16-bit platformers.

Yes I played that one too. Was fun indeed!!
Return to General Gaming