Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Sarge
Next-Gen

Re: Randomly recommend an unknown or underrated game.

by Sarge Thu Feb 18, 2016 2:21 pm

I played King of Demons multiple times last year. I even finished it on Hard mode! It's a ton of fun. While it may look graphically simple because of the sprite sizes, that also helps give more screen real estate, making it feel more like an amped-up NES game than the more claustrophobic 16-bit platformers.
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

by Gunstar Green Thu Feb 18, 2016 3:38 pm

ninjainspandex wrote:Pop'n Magic and king of demons are my two favorite Super Famicom hidden gems, shame the real carts are so damn expensive. I ended up getting SNES repros, do not regret at all. Do Re Mi Fantasy is also excellent, and stars milon from the NES game Milon's Secret Castle.

Do Re Mi is another good one. I also enjoy Twinbee Rainbow Bell Adventures and the Go Go Ackman trilogy, especially the third one.
SirGawain
64-bit

by SirGawain Thu Feb 18, 2016 3:41 pm

Gunstar Green wrote:
SirGawain wrote:Rising Zan: The Samurai Gunman. Not a good game, but fun to play. It has an end-of-level rating system telling how much of a "Super Ultra Sexy Hero" you were.

I like this game, probably because it doesn't take itself seriously at all.

That's exactly why I love it. It knows what it is :lol:
ejamer
128-bit

by ejamer Fri Feb 19, 2016 11:57 am

Nightshade (NES).

Is this unknown or underrated? It got a little bit of buzz a year or two ago, but I think the game still flies well under the radar. It's a mostly solid adventure game that arrived late in the NES lifecycle. There are some clear limitations with what can be done on the platform, and this game isn't as good as the classic Maniac Mansion. But it's still a great game and interesting to play through even today.

I have a soft spot for adventure games, bad puns, and cheesy humor. And that's why this game is grate.
Sarge
Next-Gen

by Sarge Sun Feb 21, 2016 2:50 am

Nightshade is on my list to beat eventually. I've always found the premise fascinating. I remember reading about it in NP, and thought it looked really cool. The HG101 writeup seems to like it a lot as well.
qishmish

by qishmish Fri Feb 26, 2016 7:01 am

Great thread! Thanks!

From what was mentioned here, i either played or was gonna to play these:

Robot Alchemic Drive, Gunman Chronicles, Gungage, GeGeGe no Kitarou (2003), Linda Cubed, Power Instinct 2, Super Galdelic Hour.. and, of course, Rising Zan.

Rising Zan: The Samurai Gunman. Not a good game, but fun to play. It has an end-of-level rating system telling how much of a "Super Ultra Sexy Hero" you were.

Sure, it's not good. Because it's AWESOME :twisted: It's like of father to Devil May Cry and God Hand - especially God Hand, because atmosphere, style, jokes are very similar.

I only can criticize it for camera issues.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

by ElkinFencer10 Fri Feb 26, 2016 8:46 am

qishmish wrote:Great thread! Thanks!

From what was mentioned here, i either played or was gonna to play these:

Robot Alchemic Drive, Gunman Chronicles, Gungage, GeGeGe no Kitarou (2003), Linda Cubed, Power Instinct 2, Super Galdelic Hour.. and, of course, Rising Zan.

Rising Zan: The Samurai Gunman. Not a good game, but fun to play. It has an end-of-level rating system telling how much of a "Super Ultra Sexy Hero" you were.

Sure, it's not good. Because it's AWESOME :twisted: It's like of father to Devil May Cry and God Hand - especially God Hand, because atmosphere, style, jokes are very similar.

I only can criticize it for camera issues.

Dude, God Hand is FANTASTIC.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:38 am

Holy shit balls it's Dancing Eyes!

What is this? Dancing Eyes is an arcade game produced by Namco in 1996.

ImageImage

What is it like? From The International Arcade Museum®:

"This game works slightly similar to the arcade classic Qix. You play as a tiny monkey, and walk around on a woman's clothing which is divided into panels. You use the joystick to move along the lines between panels and the button to lay down a panel-clearing line. As you hold down the button, you will leave behind a line. If you make this line go all the way around a panel and release the button, that panel breaks off. Your objective is to clear all the panels within the time alotted. You can make a line around multiple panels to clear them all at once.

Enemies walk around on the lines, and will try to follow you. If an enemy touches you, you lose a life. Lose all your lives and you have to continue. The time limit is reset if you continue, and all the panels near where you died are cleared. If you clear a panel, and an enemy is on the edge of that panel, the enemy is destroyed. Enemies that are defeated will respawn a short while later. There are also panels that flash, and clearing these reveals a powerup.

Between levels, you are given a roulette to choose which girl you want to undress. Sometimes you are not clearing panels of clothing. One level involves breaking the panels of a barrel to reveal the catgirl inside. After you complete a level, you get some time to watch the girl. If you finish the level quickly, you get 15 seconds. Otherwise, you just get 10 seconds. During "Show Time", you turn the camera with the joystick, and zoom in with the button."

ImageImage

So basically you're a horny monkey helping women destroy their clothes, so they can use the incident as a tax write off. Now I think if you look deep inside yourself you'll realize this is something you've always wanted to do. (Anita Sarkeesian holds the world's top score.) But it's not just ladies that get the strip down treatment, Dancing Eyes is more inclusive than that:

Not so fun fact; Dancing Eyes was going to get a PS3 sequel. But it got cancelled because such a thing would have been far too awesome for this world, and would have caused space time to collapse in on itself under the weight of such awesomeness. However, you can still watch the trailer for the cancelled sequel:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSuV6t4vPqA

So head on over to wherever the hell you buy PCBs, and nab a board for Dancing Eyes! Or just emulate it on MAME like everyone else does.

ImageImage
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
TEKTORO
Next-Gen

by TEKTORO Fri Feb 26, 2016 10:14 am

Loving the Dancing Eyes, who's doing imports on PSN Monkey Paw wonder if they'd be interested in bringing this over otherwise bring a sequel to PS4!

On a whole nother level Disney's Pure is an amazing quad racing game on 360 super fun and addictive also has sweet ass controls.
If you can see the future while remembering the past, you may just have control of the present.
ExedExes
Next-Gen

by ExedExes Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:07 pm

A good game on the 5200, and ONLY on the 5200!

Zone Ranger by Activision!

A space shooter with a perspective similar to Sinistar, take out 16 satellites in a grid formation in each stage. They are linked by red and green communication beams, and you must deal with asteroids and other space hazards. A special area takes you to a maze where you collect dots to use with a special ship that will assist you in hunting down and taking out the satellites. Fast action, colorful graphics, and you only need *1* button to play it, those bad 5200 sticks notwithstanding!
Xeogred wrote:The obvious answer is that it's time for the Dreamcast 2.
Return to General Gaming