Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Re: Randomly recommend an unknown or underrated game.

by Exhuminator Fri Dec 11, 2015 10:38 pm

Gunman Chronicles | PC | 2000

Howabout a crazy first person shooter that I guarantee is unlike any other FPS you've ever played? From the game's Wikipedia page:

Gunman Chronicles is a first-person shooter that requires the player to perform combat tasks and puzzle solving to advance through the game, much like its predecessor Half-Life. While gameplay is similar to Half-Life's in terms of health-and-armor systems and artificial intelligence, one major aspect of Gunman Chronicles is the ability to customize each weapon. Each weapon the player obtains has multiple alternate "modes" for various situations; for instance, the starting pistol can be turned into a sniper rifle or a rapid-fire machine-pistol while the MULE, a rocket launcher, can be configured to fire homing rockets, timed explosives, or cluster bombs.

Another new aspect of Gunman Chronicles is the ability to drive vehicles, something that was expanded on in Half-Life 2. During the latter half of the game, there is a lengthy vehicle section in which the player is able to drive a tank through a system of canyons. Similar to the vehicle sections of Half-Life 2, the player occasionally comes across obstacles hindering the tank's path which will require the player to stop and figure out a puzzle or activate a switch.

The game features a wide variety of enemies, including rogue Gunmen-turned-bandits, giant dinosaurs, genetically-modified aliens called Xenomes, and robotic attack drones. Bandits will roll around to dodge fire while returning fire with dual pistols or rifles, while Xenomes will charge at the player in packs with reckless abandon and release homing projectiles upon death. Similar to Half-Life, certain objects such as vases and crates can be destroyed to provide ammunition, health, and armor. Unlike Half-Life however, armor takes the form of actual vests, and can not be replenished by chargers like health can.

Unlike Half-Life and its expansions, Gunman Chronicles, however sparsely, uses cutscenes to tell key parts of the storyline. These usually appear only as transitions between different worlds and levels however, and thus most of the plot is seen through the eyes of the player like in Half-Life.

That's right, you've got space cowboys, dinosaurs, aliens and robots, vehicle driving and even custom weapon design! You've also a S.H.O.D.A.N. like entity in the game that unlike GLaDOS actually HELPS you out. Valve not only sanctioned this total conversion of their original Half-Life, they went so far as to take inspiration from it for Half-Life 2. Here are some pics:

Gunman Chronicles was panned during its release because people thought it was just a reskinned Half-Life. That false assumption wasn't even close to the reality of what this game actually is. If you're an FPS lover and ready for a blast from the past with a great sense of humor, and a focus on zany fun, it's time to resurrect Gunman Chronicles from its undeserved early grave.

Personal anecdote; I beat this game listening to Klaus Nomi's Rubberband Lazer. That song of his mixes cowboys and space in a way that was just a great fit. Or maybe I'm just silly. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJ5JIawX6KQ
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Jmustang1968
Next-Gen

by Jmustang1968 Fri Dec 11, 2015 11:57 pm

My Tactics Ogre thunder was stolen! :lol: It is always my go-to underrated game.
Soldier Blue
128-bit

by Soldier Blue Sat Dec 12, 2015 12:50 am

Claymates!

One of my favorite platformers! I used to play it all the time as a kid with friends and my sister, so this game is very dear to me. Great music, a good amount of challenge and vibrant graphics. It also had a nice password feature and puzzles that nyou had to solve in between levels. Definitely check it out if you haven't already!
Racketboy and Seller Feedback: Racketboy +7,
Video Price Charting Store:
https://www.pricecharting.com/offers?se ... rni7irmnam
ExedExes
Next-Gen

by ExedExes Sat Dec 12, 2015 11:42 am

BLAZE processing?

I'm sold.

Cool thread so far. I'm always looking for new DS stuff, and Exhuminator's OP looks good! But I can't get enough of Feel The Magic XX/YY right now.
Xeogred wrote:The obvious answer is that it's time for the Dreamcast 2.
ExedExes
Next-Gen

by ExedExes Sat Dec 12, 2015 7:55 pm

Sgt. Rock on the Frontline (GBC)

Take the classic Taito arcade game Frontline and add a relatively obscure DC Comics license to it, and this is what you get. But it's a good port and is far better control wise than the original.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

by Xeogred Sat Dec 12, 2015 9:05 pm

Sarge wrote:Image

I enjoyed the heck out of this. Tough as nails, but a great exploratory platformer.

Not much of a review, but I guess the picture and videos I checked out do it justice. Looks pretty cool (and I'm picky as hell with indie games).
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Sat Dec 12, 2015 10:53 pm

HSX: Hypersonic.Xtreme (AKA G-Surfers in Europe) | PS2 | 2002-2003

Info from Wikipedia:

"G-Surfers is a futuristic racing game released in Europe on January 25, 2002 by Midas Interactive Entertainment. The game is an exclusive to the PlayStation 2 console. On January 28, 2003 in the United States, it was released by Majesco and slightly altered under the title HSX: Hypersonic.Xtreme. The influence of the game was taken from F-Zero and the Wipeout video game series, resulting in a very similar game. The game was briefly shown in the 2008 film Meet Dave.

The game features 30 tracks, and 15 crafts; however, when the first six races are available, the player must complete the game to unlock more tutorials and tracks. It also features "TrakEdit", a mode allowing players to create their own tracks using various objects. Tutorials guide the player to this mode. A two-player split screen mode is included in the game, as well as the Time Trial and Cup racing modes for one player.[1]

The player should choose a craft they like to use in the game, and then go through five series (each including six tracks). After the race has loaded, the screen will show a view of the track. The player will see a countdown that would begin the race. The player must finish at first, second or third place to win. If he or she successfully completed a series, the player unlocks more material.

Despite the tracks incorporating twists, turns, loops, corkscrews and jumps, various obstacles are considered avoidable for him or her. Falling off the track is one example. In addition, there are the boost and health icons throughout each track."

I am a huge fan of futuristic arcade racers, and I had a good time with HSX back in 2009. It's a really challenging racer, with crazy tracks and risky jumps galore. You can also make your own tracks which is always a boon in any racing game. Reviewers shit all over this one due to "bad choppy graphics" and "too derivative" and blah blah. Truth is, if you're into this genre you will have a good time. And if you're looking for a racing challenge you will find it here for sure.

Screenshots:
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Sat Dec 12, 2015 11:04 pm

ExedExes wrote:Image

Sgt. Rock on the Frontline (GBC)

Take the classic Taito arcade game Frontline and add a relatively obscure DC Comics license to it, and this is what you get. But it's a good port and is far better control wise than the original.

this is the first time in like a half a decade that somebody has mentioned a GB/GBC/GBA game that I was unaware of. Wow. Nicely done!
ExedExes
Next-Gen

by ExedExes Sun Dec 13, 2015 12:20 am

noiseredux wrote:this is the first time in like a half a decade that somebody has mentioned a GB/GBC/GBA game that I was unaware of. Wow. Nicely done!

That's what this thread is for!
Sarge
Next-Gen

by Sarge Sun Dec 13, 2015 1:00 am

RE: Rex Rocket

Yeah, I didn't elaborate much. Was kinda lazy. That's what my review on Steam is for! Probably still not enough information, but whatevs.
Wow. I snagged this as part of an Indie Gala Monday Bundle, and I wish I'd known about it sooner. It's an absolutely fantastic Megaman/Metroid mashup. As others have noted, it's a very, very tough game. The recent changes to the checkpointing, though, make it a much more palatable affair. Even so, you're going to die a lot, but if you've got any NES action-gaming chops, you'll make it through.

The method of conveyance is interesting, using blaster fire shooting downward. You get used to it after a while, but you've got to make holding diagonals down while jumping a habit. Bosses are tough, but still pattern-based, so if you don't succeed at first, you'll get it down eventually.

Anyway, this one came out of nowhere and really surprised me. Very much a recommended game, even if you don't get it on the cheap. I'm looking forward to seeing what's next from Castle Pixel!

Also, my opinions from beating it cross-posted from Talking Time.

Guys, I had no clue about this one. Snagged it in the Indie Gala Monday bundle because it looked interesting, then proceeded to play for a solid six hours. Only stopped because I had to go to bed. It was lots of fun. Very tough in places, not above going all Super Meat Boy at the end, but fun. The checkpointing is far more forgiving than the original release, so getting through shouldn't be an issue for NES aficionados.
Last edited by Sarge on Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Return to General Gaming