Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Fragems
Next-Gen

Re: Randomly recommend an unknown or underrated game.

by Fragems Mon Jan 18, 2016 4:25 pm

@Exhuminator

Keep up the suggestions I find them quite interesting. Just haven't chimed in much about them since I have never gotten around to dabbling in import games. Been interested in trying some translation patches on the Retron 5 but just haven't gotten around to picking anything up yet :P.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Mon Jan 18, 2016 4:45 pm

If anyone wants to ask for suggestions for specific platforms and/or genres via localized games, I can give that a shot. Maybe that will be more useful for the general board. My brain is full of ridiculous gaming trivia and I gotta get that crap out somewhere. :oops:
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

by ElkinFencer10 Mon Jan 18, 2016 4:47 pm

Exhuminator wrote:If anyone wants to ask for suggestions for specific platforms and/or genres via localized games, I can give that a shot. Maybe that will be more useful for the general board. My brain is full of ridiculous gaming trivia and I gotta get that crap out somewhere. :oops:

My outlet is anything even remotely related in my lectures. My students hate it. :lol:
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

Xeogred
Next-Gen

by Xeogred Mon Jan 18, 2016 8:08 pm

Probably would be more interesting if people chimed in with questions, then maybe some of us can throw out some ideas. Otherwise, I feel like a lot of recs so far will probably just go completely overlooked haha. I'll be shocked if anyone plays Project EDEN (or even has besides me). :lol:
laurenhiya21
Next-Gen

by laurenhiya21 Mon Jan 18, 2016 8:14 pm

Ah I thought I posted but apparently not ._. (I've been pretty exhausted recently gah). And sorry for not chiming in more ><; I'm really bad at that, even if I do read all the suggestions (and a lot of them have gone on my wishlist ha)

Can't remember what I originally was going to post but right now I'll recommend Dossun! Gengaki Battle for the Super Famicom :) If you're a fan of fast puzzly games like Puyo Puyo or Tetris then you might like this. Stuff drops down with different symbols on them (like swords and potions) and if you match the same symbols together, you'll get rid of them plus it may either do damage to the other player or heal yourself depending on the symbols. There's also a special meter thing, but I'm not sure I quite figured out how it worked... I was too busy trying to not be crushed by the AI since it gets REALLY difficult really quickly. I'm pretty sure it took me quite a few tried to get past the first stage ><; It's still a ton of fun though and you don't really need to know Japanese to play, so check it out :)

Screenshots:
touchofkiel
32-bit

by touchofkiel Tue Jan 19, 2016 3:29 am

I'd call Red Star an unknown/underrated game simply because it will never be placed in anyone's list of "PS2 Classics" and yet it's still a really solid, somewhat unique game. It doesn't hurt that the comic license it uses is pretty obscure - a short lived Image comic from the early 00s. Out of the slew of great PS2 action games, it's easy to forget Red Star, so I think it belongs here :D

Speaking of random games based on obscure comics... Ex-Mutants for Genesis, anyone?
I review (mostly old) games at: The Annals of Retrodom.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:01 am

Xeogred wrote:if anyone plays Project EDEN (or even has besides me)

I own a copy on PS2. I bought it for co-op, and played it for a while that way. But even the co-op didn't make the game fun for my tastes. So I'm not saying it's a bad game, but it can be a bit janky IMO. It's certainly a good concept for a game.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

by ElkinFencer10 Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:03 am

Exhuminator wrote:

I own a copy on PS2. I bought it for co-op, and played it for a while that way. But even the co-op didn't make the game fun for my tastes. So I'm not saying it's a bad game, but it can be a bit janky IMO. It's certainly a good concept for a game.

Ain't nothing wrong with hating a good game. I detested Kingdom Hearts, but I think it was a great game. I just didn't care for it (not a big Disney fan personally). Everyone says Kingdom Hearts II is better, though, and I have a copy of that, so I might play through it eventually.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

Xeogred
Next-Gen

by Xeogred Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:12 am

ElkinFencer10 wrote:
Exhuminator wrote:

Ain't nothing wrong with hating a good game. I detested Kingdom Hearts, but I think it was a great game. I just didn't care for it (not a big Disney fan personally). Everyone says Kingdom Hearts II is better, though, and I have a copy of that, so I might play through it eventually.

Kingdom Hearts was one of the 3 games I dropped last year, lol. Not even sure if I'd say it just didn't age well, I don't think I would have liked it back when it was new either. But everyone swears by 2, so I might check it out sometime myself.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:33 am

Xeogred wrote:But everyone swears by 2, so I might check it out sometime myself.

If you can deal with stuff like this:

https://youtu.be/4C9hhFIFHFQ?t=183

You oughta have a good time.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Return to General Gaming