Randomly recommend an unknown or underrated game.

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Re: Randomly recommend an unknown or underrated game.

Post by fastbilly1 »

When I was running a convention our tournament organizer was just gifted at fighting games. So I went through every console I could so I could find fighters I could beat him at. It became a big game with the staff. BCV was great fun, though I dominated in Joy Mech Fight - Senju all the way baby.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

fastbilly1 wrote:When I was running a convention our tournament organizer was just gifted at fighting games. So I went through every console I could so I could find fighters I could beat him at.

I would have challenged him via The Aka-Champion's slap fighting mode.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/the-ak ... 0-6145986/
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

That is awesome.

Now I kinda want a PS2.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

fastbilly1 wrote:That is awesome.

Now I kinda want a PS2.

There's 2000 games on it.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

Aztec Adventure | Sega Master System | 1987-1988

ImageImage

Here's a game I think plenty of you have heard of, or read about in passing, but probably never actually played. And that's a shame, because Aztec Adventure is a moderately hidden gem on the ol' Master System. A quick run down of the gameplay from Wikipedia:
In the game, the player takes the control of Niño, an adventurer who must traverse a maze in search for treasures. While the original Japanese version depicts the adventure in Nazca, the story and title were later changed to be based in Aztec settings for international releases, though the elements of the former culture, including the Nazca Lines, can still be seen. The player is not the only one in search for those treasures, three other adventurers controlled by the computer will try to foil his plans.

Gameplay involves the player trying to reach Paradise by exploring ten different lands, including desert, marshes, ruins, underground waterways and forest. While exploring you can collect weapons, by destroying enemies. A variety of in-game weapons can be found (fireballs, arrows, tornadoes, etc), some more powerful than others. Some weapons can be used against bosses, which can take a certain amount of hits from the player's default weapon, unless he has companions. The player's companions need to be hired with gold, and until he pays them they remain his enemies. The more powerful the companion, the more gold he requires to join the player's quest.

I have very fond memories of playing this game in 1988, when I was but a wee Exhumer weirdo with a Master System, while all my friends had NES consoles. Many a saturday and sunday morning did I get up early and play Master System while my parents slept in. And many a time did I attempt to beat Aztec Adventure. And never succeeded. I don't talk often about my own personal white whales, but Aztec Adventure has to be one. I really should as a more patient adult gamer go back to the past and finally beat this game. Although maybe patience isn't the right word, I was patient enough as a kid to finish Zillion anyway.

Why should you care though? Well, Aztec Adventure is a charming and highly unique game. It's got an extremely catchy OST. Listen, you throw money at ducks and then they help you beat up giant flowers. I mean come on, that's worth it alone. This game's later levels are also tough as gyrating broken glass on your privates. So if you're into mercenary mallards and mutilating your naughty bits metaphorically, help a Niño out.

Bonus Japanese cover art:

PLAY KING'S FIELD.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

Exhuminator wrote:Image

Aztec Adventure | Sega Master System | 1987-1988

ImageImage

Here's a game I think plenty of you have heard of, or read about in passing, but probably never actually played.

This was actually the 2nd game I ever played. I adore it.

I don't talk often about my own personal white whales, but Aztec Adventure has to be one. I really should as a more patient adult gamer go back to the past and finally beat this game.

The game isn't that bad, you've got plenty of tougher stuff on your games beaten list. Time to take this one down! (P.S. The trick to later levels is to try and find the hidden invisible fairy ponds that will heal you when you throw money in)
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

alienjesus wrote:The game isn't that bad, you've got plenty of tougher stuff on your games beaten list. Time to take this one down!

Well I should have added a disclaimer that I haven't seriously tried to beat Aztec Adventure since I was a prepubescent. Its difficulty might be exaggerated by years of remembering how it hard it was, but not actually trying it as an older more experienced gamer. I'm gonna push to knock it out this year. Maybe I'll even be able to finish Fantasy Zone II as well. I really should go back to the past and beat a lot of Master System games I never quite finished as a kid.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

I dig Aztec Adventure. Never managed to finish it tho.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

Okay, it just popped in my head in another thread, gotta drop it here before I forget... Silent Bomber.

Terrible cover art on the US release (don't know about other territories), but it's a great action game that does a sort-of Bomberman thing. You lock on to enemies and shoot them with bombs, then detonate them. It's a lot cooler than it sounds. Definitely one worth giving a shot.

For the life of me, I can't figure out why this game didn't sell...
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

Xeogred wrote:
fastbilly1 wrote:That is awesome.

Now I kinda want a PS2.

There's 2000 games on it.

I have had five or six of them now, always resold or broken in a short amount of time. My wife had one that worked well for many years, it broke in the move to our current house. Me and PS2's just do not get along.