Randomly recommend an unknown or underrated game.

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
qishmish

Re: Randomly recommend an unknown or underrated game.

Post by qishmish »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:A bizarre and brutal SRPG on Super Famicom. I enjoy it quite a bit.

><

I had to google image to find out how it's called.

Jyutei Senki (樹帝戦紀), developed by TamTam, who also made Hyper Iria, NinPen Manmaru (cute 3D platformer for Saturn), Assault Suits Valken 2 (only this one i guess) etc.
chupon
Next-Gen

Post by chupon »

Exhuminator wrote:Image
Magical Pop'n | SFC | 1995

What? You're too stuffy to put on some panties and a dress, and go do princess stuff in Pop'n land? Well that's just sad, because you're missing out on some magical fun son.

Yes you can play it in English: http://agtp.romhack.net/project.php?id=magicalpopn

From GiantBomb:

Magical Pop'n is a fantasy-themed platformer from obscure Japanese developer Polestar. The playable character, Princess, is chasing a demonic character across her home kingdom, using her magical powers to fight a horde of unusual creatures working for the Demon Lord. The game is similar to Mega Man X or Super Metroid, in that the player is expected to explore each of the branching stages thoroughly for useful items and employ the various powers at their disposal judiciously (as each has a cost in stars, a finite resource the player collects) against the various obstacles and bosses in the game.

ImageImage

From AGTP:

This game´s neat. It´s about this little insane hyper princess whose kingdom is being invaded by some nasty evil demon army. In the meantime, she´s (supposed to be) learning about magic and this crystal of wondrous powers from her tutor (but she´s sleeping instead) and that night, when the army invades, she naturally goes bonkers on ´em all. Fun platform-hopping action ensues! The six levels in Magical Pop´n are HUGE, and it´s a fairly difficult game too. In each area except the last you´ll find a new spell which you´ll need to complete the level. Some of them are rather one-use things, such as the flamethrower spell, but a few of them are quite helpful.

ImageImage

If you enjoy SNES platformers, you should have already played this game and be quite bored with me right now. But I bet you haven't played this because you hate panties and princess games. Well get over it macho man, this platformer is fun for real. It's even got Bionic Commando style grappling and of course GIANT DEMON BOSSES.

ImageImage

So put down the PS4 controller, stop downloading that latest Steam release, and get some proper retro loving going on with a cute little princess' game that will kick your casual pansy ass.

Is the going rate for a legit SFC copy really $1000+?
Buy / Sell / Trade List: viewtopic.php?t=17958
Last updated: 11-10-16

PS3 ID: dakkenblackblade 360 ID: dakkenblackblad
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

*checks eBay*

I see one sold for $900 complete. So probably a bit less than that for cart-only, but still really expensive!
chupon
Next-Gen

Post by chupon »

This was never on my radar. Guys in Japan - start looking for these at Hard Offs and Book Offs!
Buy / Sell / Trade List: viewtopic.php?t=17958
Last updated: 11-10-16

PS3 ID: dakkenblackblade 360 ID: dakkenblackblad
laurenhiya21
Next-Gen

Post by laurenhiya21 »

chupon wrote:This was never on my radar. Guys in Japan - start looking for these at Hard Offs and Book Offs!

Man, I wish! Magical Pop'N is also super expensive in Japan (at least on their Amazon since I haven't seen a copy in person).

Unfortunately I think that you would have to be VERY lucky to find a copy at Book Off or Hard Off that wasn't pricey.
Raz
16-bit

Post by Raz »

Beat City is a rhythm game on the DS which is pretty similar to Rhythm Heaven. It's not nearly as tight (in terms of fairness in timing) as Rhythm Heaven from my experience, but it might differ for you.

Mickey's Dangerous Chase is a fun little platformer on the Game Boy which feels a lot like the Chip N Dale Rescue Rangers games on the NES.
Image Image
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

Raz wrote:Mickey's Dangerous Chase is a fun little platformer on the Game Boy which feels a lot like the Chip N Dale Rescue Rangers games on the NES.
Image Image

Nice. I still need to grab that for my collection. I read it was good, but I have not played it yet. The screenshots make it look awesome.