Randomly recommend an unknown or underrated game.

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
TEKTORO
Next-Gen

Re: Randomly recommend an unknown or underrated game.

Post by TEKTORO »

Loved Sorcery Saga the story is charming and sucks you in, def recommended!

Here's a few for me:
Sol Divide PS1
Sakura Wars Wii
Sengoku Basara Samurai Heroes Wii/PS3
The Saboteur 360/PS3
Conquest of the Crystal Palace NES
If you can see the future while remembering the past, you may just have control of the present.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

TEKTORO wrote:Loved Sorcery Saga the story is charming and sucks you in, def recommended!

Here's a few for me:
Sol Divide PS1
Sakura Wars Wii
Sengoku Basara Samurai Heroes Wii/PS3
The Saboteur 360/PS3
Conquest of the Crystal Palace NES

I played through Sakura Wars for Wii a few weeks ago. It's definitely a must-play. I've got Conquest of the Crystal Palace, but I haven't gotten around to playing it yet.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

Sol Divide is definitely an odd one. I managed to pick up a copy some time last year.
touchofkiel
32-bit

Post by touchofkiel »

I mentioned it before, but now that my review is up, I'll mention it again: Captain America and the Avengers for NES. Not a brawler like its arcade sibling.. instead it's an action-platformer that's sort of like a companion piece. Sure I may have a soft spot for it, and clearly I have a high tolerance for terrible Marvel games... but I sincerely think it's only a few flaws away from being a genuine classic.
I review (mostly old) games at: The Annals of Retrodom.
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Post by Gunstar Green »

touchofkiel wrote:I mentioned it before, but now that my review is up, I'll mention it again: Captain America and the Avengers for NES. Not a brawler like its arcade sibling.. instead it's an action-platformer that's sort of like a companion piece. Sure I may have a soft spot for it, and clearly I have a high tolerance for terrible Marvel games... but I sincerely think it's only a few flaws away from being a genuine classic.

A lot of its problem is the stupid Bionic Commando map system which wouldn't be a problem in and of itself if it wasn't for the punishing repercussions it creates when a character dies. Other than that it's kind of a hidden gem.

Like you said in your review the magic of save states fixes this, but boy it made me hate this game with a passion when I was a kid.

That and Iron Man wasn't playable and he was my favorite super hero.
touchofkiel
32-bit

Post by touchofkiel »

Gunstar Green wrote:
touchofkiel wrote:I mentioned it before, but now that my review is up, I'll mention it again: Captain America and the Avengers for NES. Not a brawler like its arcade sibling.. instead it's an action-platformer that's sort of like a companion piece. Sure I may have a soft spot for it, and clearly I have a high tolerance for terrible Marvel games... but I sincerely think it's only a few flaws away from being a genuine classic.

A lot of its problem is the stupid Bionic Commando map system which wouldn't be a problem in and of itself if it wasn't for the punishing repercussions it creates when a character dies. Other than that it's kind of a hidden gem.

Like you said in your review the magic of save states fixes this, but boy it made me hate this game with a passion when I was a kid.

That and Iron Man wasn't playable and he was my favorite super hero.

Yeah, it is HARSH. Basically if I ever died when I played, I just called it quits. So each game was like a 1cc practice run. How far I could get each time actually depended more on those annoying random Red Alert fights.
benderx
Next-Gen

Post by benderx »

You should play Hello kitty island adventure. My friend Mantequilla reccomends it.
You took too long, now your candy's gone. That's What happens. Bkowwwww. (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻)
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

The best advice I can give for Cap for NES is to farm the first stage. It may take a bit, but it's far preferable to trying to beef up in the later stages, when you can barely hurt enemies and your life bar is insignificant.

You're completely correct when you say it "feels right". The controls are really, really solid. So much of the NES library hinges on that all-important play control, especially for platformers like this.
touchofkiel
32-bit

Post by touchofkiel »

In my 20+ years of playing that game... how the hell did it never occur to me to farm the early levels?!
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

Dunno, but I never thought of it the few times I got to play it when I was younger, and when I picked it up recently, I was cruising right along... until I wasn't. I was getting owned, and I just restarted, because I couldn't figure out how to stay alive long enough to get the gems necessary to power up. Figured early grinding was the solution, especially since enemies don't scale with you. It makes things considerably more enjoyable after you get to full power, even if it does take a while for things to get challenging again. I think you could get 35-40 gems on each pass through the stage, so it really isn't too bad.