Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Ziggy587

The Mega Man / Rockman Thread

by Ziggy587 Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:56 am

A thread to discuss the Mega Man franchise!

I've been binge playing Mega Man games this past week. I've always loved the series, but something has always kept me from enjoying them. I think it's that, for a long while, I really sucked at them. I never beat a MM game until just a year or two ago. I've owned the 6 NES carts for a long time, but I've never beat any of them. I was really excited when 9 and 10 came out, but I never beat those either.

I'm pretty sure Mega Man 7 was the first game in the series that I've ever played at length. About 16 or so years ago, I got myself a MM7 cart off eBay. And holy fuck, I'm glad I got it back then because I just looked at the price and WTF! Anyway, I went to town on MM7 back when I first got it. I made it to Wily's second form but never beat it. I haven't played it since then, but I've always regretted putting it down. I just played through it the past couple of days, and I again made it to Wily's second form. I haven't beaten it yet, but I plan to this time around.

A year or two ago I beat Mega Man X, which was the first MM game I ever beat. I promptly played through X 2 and beat that as well. Luckily, I also picked up the three X carts off eBay 16 or so years ago before the prices became absurd.

A week ago, I played through X 3 for the first time and beat it. The reason I didn't play it a year or two ago when I played X 1 and 2 is because I read a lot of negative comments about X 3. Just in general that it isn't as good as the first two, but I also read a few times that it's a lot harder. That put me off to playing it because of the difficultly I've had with MM games in the past. But after playing X 3, I don't know why some people say it's harder. The final bosses were kind of a joke compared to other MM games. And if you get that upgrade that restores health when you stand still, the rest of the game is cake.

I owned X 4 for Saturn some years back but sold it when the price started to go up. I kinda regret doing that now that the price is so high I'll never get another copy. I mean, I can play a burned disc of the game, but it's not the same. The PS1 version of X 4 is super cheap though, so I picked up a copy of that and started playing it. I made it up to the Colonel fight, but put my playthrough on pause. I got an itch to play MM7, but once I beat it I think I'll pick X 4 back up.

After 7 and X 4, I'm not sure what I'll play next. I might play 8, since I never really gave that one a chance. And I just picked up 11. It seems like a natural progression to play 7, 8 and then 11. I'd definitely like to tackle the NES games at some point. After that, I guess I should naturally play 9 and 10.
I'm parting with some duplicate Blu-Ray and DVD movies. Check out this thread if interested.
Anapan
Next-Gen

Re: The Mega Man / Rockman Thread

by Anapan Sat Dec 29, 2018 9:21 am

I got that game! I got a cool guy on Famicom World to make it for me.
Yeah, I really like all of the Megaman games; Well, I think the Soccer and Korean Strategy RPG ones are an acquired taste that I haven't given enough chance to appreciate . I like the games enough to obsess over the PC ones even tho the authors stole the crate graphic from Apogee's first Duke Nukem Game and I especially like the stolen riffs in the gameboy games from late 80s songs. There's not enough to be said about the franchise. My biggest gripe is the complete lack of a resolution to my favorite spinoff; The fan efforts have to be applauded tho; The fanmade 8-bit prequel is so cool!
We haven't talked enough about the Megaman X fan-game with a topic of it's own in the platformer forum.
I think the fanbase is what keeps it fresh - Rokko-Chan is a great fan-made platformer, but King even made a 3D engine based game in the vein of Legends that mostly nobody knows about.
I had a great time with Megaman 2.5D too - The team-based focus is really great.

I also like the official Capcom games a lot.
I'll make links in my post tomorrow.
I see what you're doing Ziggy! We need to keep posting about things we love to keep the forum going. I'm with you - I'll post more obvious stuff.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Ziggy587

by Ziggy587 Sat Dec 29, 2018 3:22 pm

I just beat Mega Man 7! After making it to the final boss but quitting some years ago, it feels good to have finally beaten it.

Anapan wrote:King even made a 3D engine based game in the vein of Legends that mostly nobody knows about.

Yeah, I was thinking about trying out the Legends game(s). Obviously, I'll start with the first one. But should I play the PS1 version or Mega Man 64? Looks like they're basically identical, from what I've read.

edit: I'm back to playing Mega Man X4 now. I beat the Colonel, and a fifth level.

One thing I've been thinking about the X series... So, you basically have the 3 games on the SNES and the 3 games on the PS1. I'm not a huge fan of the PS1 visuals. Don't get me wrong, I think the game looks very nice. But there's something about it that makes it harder to play. In the SNES games, the X sprite popped more. In the PS1 games, X blends into the backgrounds a lot. It doesn't help that the environments are much more busy than the SNES games. Also, with the busier environments, sometimes hazards aren't super apparent because they blend into the backgrounds. I took damage a few times because of this. I even touched instant death spikes because I had no idea they were even there! I've never missed spotting spikes in a MM game before.

Another thing I'm not a huge fan of is X saying shit while I'm playing. I kinda wish he would shut up lol.
I'm parting with some duplicate Blu-Ray and DVD movies. Check out this thread if interested.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

by Xeogred Sat Dec 29, 2018 4:28 pm

Probably the most important franchise to my beginning years in gaming. Mario who? Sonic who? Mega Man was my guy. Mega Man 2-3 are my top favorite NES games to this day and I'd take them over all of Nintendo's own classics. I could play a thousand more sequels just with new levels and bosses. The gameplay/formula is perfection.

The only one I don't really like is 7. Changing the buster shot to only two shots per screen and the giant sprites + clunky controls makes me not love it. 8 is better even if most stages have some annoying gimmicks at times. I personally think Mega Man & Bass is better than both of these, also one of the hardest though. Definitely stay away from the localized GBA version, since it smashes the screen space down a bit and the controls aren't great. I'd just emulate that one. Back in the day around rom/emulation sites, it was known at Mega Man 9 haha. Definitely weird how Capcom went from the Playstation back to the SNES for another installment, guess it was cheaper and maybe the SNES still had a bigger player install base.

I played these this year:
51. Mega Man ZX Advent (DS)
53. Mega Man Zero* (DS) [MMZC]
54. Mega Man Zero 2* (DS) [MMZC]
55. Mega Man Zero 3* (DS) [MMZC]
56. Mega Man Zero 4* (DS) [MMZC]
62. Mega Man X* (PS4) [MMXLC]
63. Mega Man X2* (PS4) [MMXLC]
63. Mega Man X3* (PS4) [MMXLC]
64. Mega Man X4* (PS4) [MMXLC]
66. Mega Man X5* (PS4) [MMXLC]
67. Mega Man X6* (PS4) [MMXLC]

2017:
60. Mega Man 7* (PS4, MMLC2)
61. Mega Man 8* (PS4, MMLC2)
62. Mega Man 9* (PS4, MMLC2)
63. Mega Man 10* (PS4, MMLC2)
64. Rockman & Forte* (SNES)
65. Mega Man Legends (PSX)
67. Mega Man Legends 2 (PSX)

Looks like I didn't replay anything in 2014-2015. Other than that I'm pretty much always playing some Mega Man games annually here and there. Can't beat perfection.
Last edited by Xeogred on Sat Dec 29, 2018 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pierrot
Next-Gen

by pierrot Sat Dec 29, 2018 5:29 pm

I've been more indoctrinated into the cult of Rockman as years passed. I also started with Mega Man 7, and Mega Man X. Although I didn't have them during the relatively brief time I owned a SNES, so I played them on an emulator some time around '99. I never really got anywhere in 7; never even saw the second set of robot masters. It probably negatively colored my perception of the classic franchise for a while. Although, I did play a fair amount of Megaman & Bass around the same time (as Bass). I couldn't get past the King fight, though. Mega Man X was one I really liked. Maybe not as much as some, but it's definitely a good game. That one I actually finished. Then a couple years later I got Mega Man 8, and X4 for the PS1. (I don't even know if I ever realized they were on the Saturn, though. Would have been kind of nice if I had had those versions.) I wasn't able to beat the Wily Capsule in 8, and for the longest time, I couldn't beat Sigma in X4, either (as Zero; never really played as X). I really enjoyed both of those games, though.

So that was my pretty limited experience with Mega Man. My roommate in college had the NES games growing up, so at one point he had me try some of them, probably on the Anniversary Collection. I wasn't really able to get anywhere.

Then a number of years ago, I picked up Rockman 8, and Rockman X3 on the Saturn. Rockman 8 on the Saturn is absolutely amazing. I really liked it before, but playing it on the Saturn was like a mind altering drug. When I beat the Wily Capsule, something went off in my brain, I guess, and I ended up buying Rockman Mega World for the Mega Drive. I tore through those versions of Rockman 1-3, and the Wily Tower, and all of it was fantastic. I then played the virtual console release of Mega Man 2 on hard mode, to see if it was more or less difficult, and it was pretty comparable, although I did not enjoy the audio as much, and some of it was kind of hard to look at, too (like Bubble man's stage). I started on Mega Man 4, as well, but-- I hate Mega Man 4. That was basically my conclusion.

Since then, I've beaten a bunch of other games in the franchise:

Rockman 7
Rockman & Forte (With both Rock and Forte, and all 100 discs.)
Rockman X
Rockman X3 (On the Saturn; I don't see what the big deal is. Sound's better.)
Rockman X4 (Fairly recently, on the Saturn, as X for once.)
Rockman Dash (PSP version)
Rockman Dash 2
Tron ni Kobun
Mega Man ZX (I bought this when it first released, and actually played through it a couple years ago for the first time)

I think that's about it.

I like Rockman, but there's something a little bit inconsistent about the franchise between entries, for me. I really like 1, 2, 3, 8, & Forte, X, and X4, but in particular, if I never played 7 again, that would sound just great, to me. Others, like X3, ZX, and the Legends games I found to be fairly fun, but not really especially entertaining, if that makes sense. I probably don't have a reason to replay them, but I don't regret playing them, either. A lot of what I haven't played doesn't feel like it would be really worth my time, though.

EDIT: Oh, shout out to Maverick Hunter X on the PSP, and the Vile mode. I played through that around the time I picked up a PSP, and it was pretty hot. Maybe not total fire, but I enjoyed it.
marurun

by marurun Sat Dec 29, 2018 7:52 pm

I really love Mega Man 2. It was where I started with the series and was just easy enough to ease me in. I also really like 4, X, and X4. The rest are good, but I wouldn’t go back to them like I would 2, X, and X4. I also really dislike 7, 8, and Megaman & Bass.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
pook99
128-bit

by pook99 Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:03 pm

Mega Man is definitely one of my all time favorite franchises. Right up there with Mario, Street Fighter, and Castlevania. I do not love the x series though, I have played just about all of them in my life, except for x8, but the formula for the x series kind of annoys me. I hate the idea of having to replay levels multiple times in order to find all the power ups, makes the gameplay very redundant. I do like the way the game feels, the dash is great, the wall climb is fun, but the fetchy nature of the game annoys me to no end. I know this is blasphemous, but I actually enjoyed mighty no 9 more than I did every game in the x series except the first one.

Old School Mega Man is great, MM2 is probably the first video game that completely wowed me with its graphics, the environments and the larger than life enemies were visually stunning, combined with the amazing music, and tight controls, I would venture to say that MM2 was the first perfect game I ever played in my life, well almost perfect, to this day I still hate the boss in the wily stages that is invunerable to everything except the crash bombs.

I adored MM 11 and really hope it sells well enough for capcom to make a few more.

MM also has a good number of very solid fan games. ALthough I have mentioned it about 100 times on this site, Mega Man Unlimited is an absolute must play, it is a free fan game that feels like it is professionally made, although it is on the harder side(but not unfairly hard) it has some of the best level design and weapons in the series. This year I went on a mega man binge in anticipation of 11 and after playing through the 10 core games, I started exploring the mm fan games, and although unlimited was the best, there are some other very good fan games.

It is also a series that is copied a fair amount of times in the indie scene, 20XX is a roguelike mega man inspired game that was completey phenomenal and there are some other good ones to check out as well like rosenkreutzille and the AVGN games among others.
Ziggy587

by Ziggy587 Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:47 am

I just tried a bit of Mega Man 8. I got it many years ago, but shelved it. I remember thinking it was way too cutesy. But I was in high school at the time. So I was thinking, maybe it isn't so bad. No, it is so cute it makes me want to puke. I'm not sure why X sounds girly in X 4, but Mega Man totally sounds like a little girl in MM8. I mean, he's Mega MAN, not Mega 8-year-old-girl. And like X 4, I don't like that he talks during game play. But in MM8, there's also all these cutesy sound effect. When you jump and land there's two very cartoon-like sounds. And even the mega buster sounds kinda cutesy. So jumping, landing, and the mega buster all makes Mega Man sound like some kind of squeak toy. And it doesn't help that the first stage I chose was the clown-themed one lol.

Still, the game feels alright to play. I'll at least give it a shot. I still gotta beat X 4.
pierrot
Next-Gen

by pierrot Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:15 pm

Ziggy587 wrote:I mean, he's Mega MAN, not Mega 8-year-old-girl.

I mean, Rock is practically supposed to be an eight-ish year old boy, as a robot, and at that age, he could potentially be a girl, and I wouldn't really hear the difference. Let's not lose sight of the fact that the original series was always meant for a very "youthful" audience, to begin with.

Sorry to hear that your first impressions of MM8 aren't great, Ziggy, but are you playing the PS1 version, or the Saturn version?
Xeogred
Next-Gen

by Xeogred Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:03 pm

What's hilarious is how the voices for X4 in Japanese are deeper and more masculine than the English dub. On the Mega Man X Legacy Collection you can play most of the games in a bunch of different languages/regions, even beyond the English and Japanese releases. Kind of neat.

Anyways yeah, the voices are goofy but none of that ever bothers me THAT much in any of these games.
Return to General Gaming