Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Re: Favorite Android (Google Play hosted) games -- premium &

by Jagosaurus Wed May 31, 2017 9:24 pm

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I can tell with the mass amount of games, I'm going to be doing some digging, reading up, & watching YouTube videos.

@Tanooki, One of the only Android games I've sunk any considerable time into (so far) was Symphony of Eternity by Kemco. I really enjoyed it through the final boss. It's a 16 bit style RPG.

@Exh, Appreciate it. I can never tell if those 3D RPGs are any good without hunting reviews down. Seems to be a ton of them. Exile Zero immediately stood out to me on that list with the Sci fi setting.

@Noise, let me know if any titles jump out at you.

Add:
Here's an old list from 2013 of Droid games that support a controller. Decent start.

http://www.droidgamers.com/2013/04/26/l ... -can-play/

Also, my controller came with a list of 20 or so supported games. Let me see if any of those are worth mentioning or if they're cheapo shovelware type games.
Tanooki
Next-Gen

by Tanooki Wed May 31, 2017 10:31 pm

Good to hear I hadn't researched that one. I tend to read the reviews on their stuff because I figure if I can ever get more time on my hands some day I'd like to look into some of their RPGs beyond spoilering them to death and playing one. They more or less all look really solid.

Oh by the way I totally forgot, not sure why, and while not worth the price until a 50% off sale goes because Namco is inspidly greedy with the game, there is a truly stellar conversion of the Dreamcast/Arcade version of Soul Calibur for Android that uses a controller. It's quite amazing having that one on the go.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Wed May 31, 2017 10:44 pm

I got sidetracked. Forgot the Android port of Elder Scrolls Legends was out...
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

by Jagosaurus Wed May 31, 2017 11:40 pm

Niceee. I love the DC port of Soul Caliber.

Good bye Noise. See you in July.

Okay, so I found a user mannual for another Beboncool controller here.

If you scroll down to the 5th page, you'll see a list of 40+ games that support the controller. Now we have something to work from.

I had enough time to research 2 games on said list:

1941 Frozen Front
$2.99 for Premium:
This is a military strategy game that looked akin to the Advanced Daisenryaku/Advanced World War (Iron Storm on Saturn is part of this) series. Okay, so they're not all shovelware titles on this list. Good sign. I'm impressed with the trailer & will likely DL some time, but was in the mood for something less involved tonight.

Pocket Rally
$0.99 for full version
Okay... Impressed. This game reminds me off ATV Offroad Fury 4 meets Sega Rally. The visuals are high quality, late PS2 level or better, but of course in widescreen HD resolution versus blurry 480. Not mind blowing but still very nice looking visuals. Framerate is smooth as well.

The initial car is obviously Sega Rally inspired 8).

The cars control nice with the gamepad after mapping the buttons within the application itself. Sega Rally is a freaking masterpiece so don't expect physics of that level, but it gets the job done. The menus let you navigate via controller, but still require "tapping" start thus making TV play not optimal. Although it did look nice in 55" 1080p, you'd be getting up between races :/

This is my first experience with Google leader boards & achievements. Nice touch there. For 99 cents, I can recommend this. I easily found myself with 45 minutes sunk in before I noticed 15 had passed. I can see myself working through all 60 or so challenges while unlocking all cars & tracks.

This helped solidify for me there are inexpensive, solid Android experiences to be had with a controller :).
Last edited by Jagosaurus on Thu Jun 01, 2017 6:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Wed May 31, 2017 11:50 pm

what? Woah. Yeah Pocket Racer looks very Sega Rally. Cool.

How does it play without a controller?
Tanooki
Next-Gen

by Tanooki Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:51 am

I think he got the name wrong, isn't it Pocket Rally? I can't seem to find a pocket racer, but rally looks like your car. https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... ocketRally

Oh by the way, this was made early this year.
http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/r/Android/ ... sp?c=72654
25 Best console and PC games converted to android

These are a bit older but valid (and some overlap.)
http://gadgets.ndtv.com/games/features/ ... pad-777660
http://www.aboveandroid.com/games/great ... onversions
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

by Jagosaurus Thu Jun 01, 2017 6:50 am

I haven't tried it without controller yet. There were 2 different touch control schemes to chose from, then it lets you customize your buttons for controller support. There's a free version if you want to test it out.

Correct. Sorry! Late night typo for me. It's Pocket Rally. Edited post.

Thanks for the links & lists Tanooki.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:09 am

Question: What's the best golf game on Android? I already have Neo Turf Master, and I know Exhum posted about a mini-golf game a while back, but I think I'm wanting "real" golf. Well, really I just want a golf game that will hold my attention. Like, Pangya on PSP or something like that I guess.

@Tanooki: That PC/console port list is awesome. Thank you.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

by Jagosaurus Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:42 am

Neo Turf huh? Are most Neo Geo games ported over? I saw Tanookis recommendation above for the SNK fighters with controller support. That could be a time sink for me!
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:55 am

Neo Geo games are pretty much on anything that has a screen these days. Yeah.
Return to General Gaming