Favorite Android (Google Play hosted) games -- premium & IAP

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Re: Favorite Android (Google Play hosted) games -- premium &

Post by noiseredux »

I mean, they're $200 new and they're often out of stock so any inflation feels like supply/demand to me. But having said that, I'm not sure a specific model I'd point you to. The Shield rules for games. I know Acer had a similar device (was it just called the Predator? I can't remember) but those weren't manufactured long, and as far as I can recall they've always remained pricey in the aftermarket.

If you check out some specs, there's probably a Samsung something or other that would meet your needs. But of all the many, many tablets I've owned, the Shield is the one I can wholeheartedly recommend for gaming on.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

Okay, $200 range it is. For that price, I wouldn't mind a Shield but doesn't look like they go up for sale new often (at all any more?).

Soooo I'm pretty addicted to Dead Trigger a few years behind the times! I'm honestly very surprised. It's a fun romp, and I can play it in 10-15 minute burst to take my mind of work for a bit and relax between project tasks. You can blast away or play strategically and go for headshots to maximize XP & money. I also catch myself effectively finishing a mission but hanging around the exit to kill the most zombies possible before using bandages. It's a great way to rack up funds and level up. You can have some quick, mindless fun or strategize, up to you. Makes for a fun mobile experience. Bluetooth controller support is great as well.

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

They're still sold, maybe not the handheld so much but the tablet and the console, including the upgraded console with the 4K version of the chip in there they do.

It's annoyingly a matter of catching when their site opens up a new BUY link for it, or just being patient and dropping multiple watch flags on ebay for new/used systems and just being persistent and capping it at MSRP and no further. History on there shows it's quite doable not to pay more than it's worth.

I know some may insist on the console as it's slightly more powerful, but personally if you care about portability stick with the tablet. It's very easy to get a mini-HDMI to HDMI cable and blow it out on the TV anyway.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

I'm keeping an eye out for the Shield tablet, but need to research available alternatives this weekend also.

Still need to polish my write up on Neon Shadow. Might do that this weekend as well... if Dead Trigger doesn't continue to eat my time :lol:

How did a mobile game look this good 5 years ago? This is a screenshot from my Note 4. Look at that. It'd be impressive now, but 2012. Wow. I remember seeing this shared on Facebook but never saw footage or screenshots. Check it out:

The touch screen HUD dissappears after a couple seconds controller use.

Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

I know there's a dedicated thread on it, but curious if you guys had played Fire Emblem Heroes?

Okay, so I'm on "day 49" (which means 49 missions beaten) in Dead Trigger. Until recently I had been organically unlocking the main missions by completing the side missions to get more gear, etc. Today was the first time I had to "grind" a bit in the "town missions" before more main quest missions were made available to play.

So far it shows I've logged 2 hours 50 minutes. I noticed that only counts missions & not the arena mode which I've probably spent 20 minutes or so on. So I'm around 3 hours and 10 minutes of play time. Looked at a FAQ, and seems I'm about 60% done with the main quest. I plan on finishing this one in bite size chunks (pun intended?) over the next week 8).

noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

I have and still play many hours Fire Emblem Heroes.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

noiseredux wrote:I have and still play many hours Fire Emblem Heroes.

It scares me :lol:.

I was extreme addicted to Fire Emblem Awakening. One of my favorite games, on my top 10 list.

I need to dig into the dedicated thread. High level, how does the IAP work? Pay for new storylines/areas?

Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

I tinker with it but don't take it seriously, I just can't. Games like that I mostly am incapable of playing let alone enjoying for very long. Exceptions can be found by counting fingers on one hand (Ogre Battle, Nectaris/Military Madness 1, Advance Wars 1, Fire Emblem Awakening) and that's it. The last one I gave up on only because it required far too many ours to play, not because it was a problem.

That said, I enjoy this one, it also helps with a few built in tricks. You can redo stages which many games like this won't, so you can't level up enough. You can also if you're fed up with it, auto pilot the battles and let the AI slug it out. And it has a few less layers of bs that the normal game lacks but still has most the mechanics like that whole rock paper scissors wheel (sword, lance, axe) style stuff with archers(gray) on the side. When I get the itch I fire it up, have a few teams at a solid +/-1 Lv20.

Not my favorite game, but it's amusing when wanted. I don't know if it's a coin whore or not to get far in the game later on down the line as the XP widens for leveling.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

Jagosaurus wrote:

I was extreme addicted to Fire Emblem Awakening. One of my favorite games, on my top 10 list.

I need to dig into the dedicated thread. High level, how does the IAP work? Pay for new storylines/areas?

I've been playing on and off since Feb and haven't spent any money. Great game. Get it.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

noiseredux wrote:
Jagosaurus wrote:

I've been playing on and off since Feb and haven't spent any money. Great game. Get it.

Nice. That's interesting.

Any time I mention FE Awakening, Mrs Jago says she remembers falling asleep to the music for months :lol:. She'll be thrilled.

Putting this on my 2017 to play list for sure.

@Tanooki, I seem to recall reading some of the seals (or another item tied to advanced leveling) cost later but I could be wrong there.