Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
isiolia
Next-Gen

Re: Metal Gear Solid V

by isiolia Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:34 am

You can actually use that mission to level up staff, if you want (switch to playing as one of them to do that). Instead of landing farther out, plan to land in the middle of the base. Then hop on the minigun as you approach, and take the radar dishes with that. You can basically take them out as they come into view, completing the mission before you ever land, so it only takes a couple minutes or so, making it a quick way to grind XP. There's a challenge version as mission 33 that you can do the same way.

Not that you especially need to worry about doing that, but if you find a reason to it's nice to know about. While you can choose to play as any of your staff, I did find that there are key points where you have to be Big Boss for things to proceed...so it's probably more convenient to just stick to him.
Sload Soap
Next-Gen

by Sload Soap Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:45 am

Good stuff, Noise. I like reading how you're dealing with these missions because it's so different from myself (and others). The game is very freeform and open after those first couple of missions.
dunpeal2064
Next-Gen

by dunpeal2064 Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:46 am

I've also been enjoying your posts, from the perspective of someone that owns MGSV, loves the series, but has yet to start it due to its intimidating gameplay and length. It certainly helps to see someone work through the struggles, and makes me more likely to actually get to it at some point.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:13 pm

thanks, guys. I appreciate y'all reading along and throwing in some help. You may even remember that I actually attempted to play this game like a year and a half ago and it hit me like a brick wall. And yet, there was always something there - like I had this feeling that I WOULD like the game if I could just get past a certain hump. (Who knows, maybe there's still hope for Dark Souls as well :lol: ) Considering my difficulties with stealth in general, it feels good to make any progress on a game like this, even if I'm doing it "wrong."
pook99
24-bit

by pook99 Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:53 pm

noiseredux wrote:thanks, guys. I appreciate y'all reading along and throwing in some help. You may even remember that I actually attempted to play this game like a year and a half ago and it hit me like a brick wall. And yet, there was always something there - like I had this feeling that I WOULD like the game if I could just get past a certain hump. (Who knows, maybe there's still hope for Dark Souls as well :lol: ) Considering my difficulties with stealth in general, it feels good to make any progress on a game like this, even if I'm doing it "wrong."

This is inspiring to me.

I always read about how great MGS5 is but I absolutely hated it. I feel like I should like it but I just don't, and I couldn't even tell you why, reading through this thread is inspiring me to give it another chance, probably not for a long time, but at least I'm thinking about it now.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:16 am

Does anyone have the MGS HD Collection on 360? Peace Walker is now backwards compatible on Xbox One, but I want to confirm that the physical disc will work since I know the three games are split over two discs and I'm not quite sure how that works.
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

by Gunstar Green Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:32 pm

Metal Gear Solid V made me excited to try and get into the other games. I thought maybe they'd finally click now and that I'd enjoy them. So I bought the HD collection (sorry I don't have an XBONE to test it)...

I was wrong. I was so wrong.

Also the two MSX games are playable on the Snake Eater part of the collection so it's technically five games.
isiolia
Next-Gen

by isiolia Sat Mar 17, 2018 5:52 pm

The PSP games are basically proto MGSV, so you might enjoy them (or the HD version of Peace Walker). Otherwise, yeah, very different flow to them.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

by Xeogred Sat Mar 17, 2018 5:57 pm

:cry:
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

by Gunstar Green Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:46 pm

I would never call them bad games, they're just not for me. I will check out Peace Walker eventually since I have it in the HD collection. I'm still going to force myself through the rest of Snake Eater since it's not very long or anything.
Return to General Gaming