Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Reprise
Next-Gen

Re: Shenmue 3 Kickstarter

by Reprise Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:35 am

It will definitely be a divisive game I feel. Already, from the previews we have seen so far, some publications are just going into it with the attitude of "Shenmue was never good to begin with, so god knows why they bothered making a new one" or my favourite not-at-all-predictable 'hot take' "why play Shenmue when we have Yakuza?". But then there's been lots of positive responses from other elements of the media and press who seem to "get it".
Own: Sega Mega Drive, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation One, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, PS Vita, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Nintendo Gamecube, Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo 3DS, Nintendo Switch, OUYA.

My gaming blog: https://366gamestoplay.wordpress.com

PSN ID: Anesthetize666
Nintendo Switch ID: SW-8077-5145-0328
Twitter: https://twitter.com/366GamesToPlay
RCBH928
Next-Gen

by RCBH928 Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:09 am

I feel like Shenmue will receive a lot of negative reviews because it will be judged as a modern game competing with the rest of the new releases. I liked to believed that Shenmue 3 is more like paying respect and bidding farewell to the fans of the Dreamcast series, until I learned its part 3 of a 5-6 series...which literally means its is a modern game and will be judged against competing modern releases on consoles and PC.
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

by PartridgeSenpai Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:08 am

RCBH928 wrote:I feel like Shenmue will receive a lot of negative reviews because it will be judged as a modern game competing with the rest of the new releases. I liked to believed that Shenmue 3 is more like paying respect and bidding farewell to the fans of the Dreamcast series, until I learned its part 3 of a 5-6 series...which literally means its is a modern game and will be judged against competing modern releases on consoles and PC.

I think in that way (if I understand what you're saying) it makes a good release for the same month as Death Stranding. Another game by a famous Japanese auteur figure that is both highly anticipated and will also surely be very divisive. I think Shenmue 3, as the other games in the series have, can only exist as something specific and divisive, but I think that those same qualities will also be what make the people who do love it love it as much as they do. I'm not gonna get it, but I'm certainly very curious to hear what everyone will be saying about it~
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
Reprise
Next-Gen

by Reprise Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:43 am

In a time when every one-dimensional, derivative, copycat, 8-bit or 16-bit inspired metroidvania gets jizzed over and praised en masse by the games media, I think the argument that Shenmue is "too old school" to be appreciated or enjoyed is honestly nonsense. It's frankly lazy journalism. Even the "lolz it looks like a Dreamcast game" or "lolz it plays like a game from 1999" articles we've seen - and no doubt will see more of during the review period - make little sense when you consider that Shenmue itself never played like your typical Dreamcast game or even any game from 1999.

It's not just me being a Shenmue fanboy either. Planescape Torment recently had a remaster released on consoles (along with other Western D&D inspired PC RPGs) and I have really enjoyed my time with the game despite the fact A. I have no nostalgia for the game since I never played it in its hey day, and B. I've never really played much of the genre. Why is that relevant? Because there was a handful of articles claiming newcomers wouldn't enjoy the game and that it's "too archaic and old school" to enjoy in modern times unless you're playing for nostalgia.

I don't mean this as an attack on RCBH928 by the way. Just an attack on journalists who go down that route without really giving a game a fair chance.
Last edited by Reprise on Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Own: Sega Mega Drive, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation One, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, PS Vita, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Nintendo Gamecube, Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo 3DS, Nintendo Switch, OUYA.

Ack

by Ack Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:32 am

pierrot wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d98TKaE63DI (Maybe don't click if you want everything about the game to be a surprise.

I've never played a Shenmue game, but watching this, combined with the music, makes me appreciate that it exists. It feels...I'm not quite sure how to put this, but the world "clean" comes to mind. It's hard not to smile watching this video.
I have a movie review website now: https://moviereviewsbyamook.com/
pierrot
Next-Gen

by pierrot Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:11 pm

Yo, happy to hear it had an effect on you, Ack! The music in Shenmue really be like that sometimes.

I'm trying to blast through a replay of Shenmue II before the release date, but I keep getting caught up by the music, and atmosphere. Shenmue II still looks and sounds (outside of the voice samples) amazing on the Dreamcast. I'm pretty sure these games have a healing property, like monk chanting. A lot of people don't realize how much prejudice there is towards Chinese people, in Japan. So, in another way, I also really love how the series attempts to bridge some of the gaps between the two cultures. Walking around Hong Kong, a decade before it was returned to China, has also kind of taken on a bit of new meaning for me, considering the protests over the past few months.

Another thought I keep having about Shenmue is that I can't think of other games where it feels like the world would still exist without the player character(s), but it was something they achieved twenty years ago, and appear to have recreated again.

I also think I realized again why I prefer Shenmue II. I can see why people would prefer the first game, from a gameplay perspective. A lot of the less furtive interactions with random NPCs, and reduction in interactive objects is really born out of the much larger setting, where no one really knows Ryo from Adam. The story is really what entices me, though. This is the point where the story really starts to make huge strides. Ryo is now really challenged to embark on a philosophical journey of self discovery, and the player is allowed the opportunity to participate in it with him. I also can't begin to say enough about the cutscenes. The scene with the introduction of the travel lodge worker is so expertly crafted its practically award worthy on its own. I haven't gotten back to it yet, but my favorite scene from the game was always the one with the Tai Chi master and the tree.

I don't expect any reviewers in the media to really have any of those things in mind when reviewing Shenmue III, but hopefully a few outlets will at least give it some scores that can be used for the regular marketing tags that high profile games tend to get.

I think that, 'It's more Shenmue, so by default it sucks,' is the most vexing sentiment. There's really nothing to be done about it, but I sure do hate to see it. Honestly, on the graphics front, I think Shenmue III looks about as good as something like The Outer Worlds. Obviously there's a lot less flashy-neon-bullshit (TM), but I was running both at maxed settings, and in a lot of ways, I prefer the look of Shenmue III--as much as I possibly can with the Unreal Engine's Vaseline slathered objects, that I'm slowly getting a little more used to. I can't take criticisms of the graphics as legitimate at this point. Not liking the animations, or the character designs is another, more personal matter, and while I don't exactly agree at this point, I could understand it.

Once the release day comes I'm going to care very little about what the media is saying, though, because I'm going to be playing so much friggin' SHENMUE III, y'all!

PartridgeSenpai wrote:I'm not gonna get it

Honest question, Partridge: What if I get it for you?
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

by PartridgeSenpai Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:16 am

pierrot wrote:

If you genuinely bought it for me (or the easier thing of just Paypal-ing me the money to buy it myself here at a GEO) I'd certainly do my damnedest to see it through to the end. I'd definitely need to get it on PS4. There's no way my little laptop can run a big game like that ^^;. I suppose I'd probably watch a summary of Shenmue 1 & 2 first to get myself up to speed on the plot, but if you really wanted to gift it to me like that, I wouldn't turn down trying out something a friend bought special for me ^w^
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
Reprise
Next-Gen

by Reprise Tue Nov 12, 2019 3:26 am

PartridgeSenpai wrote:
pierrot wrote:

If you genuinely bought it for me (or the easier thing of just Paypal-ing me the money to buy it myself here at a GEO) I'd certainly do my damnedest to see it through to the end. I'd definitely need to get it on PS4. There's no way my little laptop can run a big game like that ^^;. I suppose I'd probably watch a summary of Shenmue 1 & 2 first to get myself up to speed on the plot, but if you really wanted to gift it to me like that, I wouldn't turn down trying out something a friend bought special for me ^w^

There's recap movies of the first two games available to watch on the Shenmue 3 menu before starting a new game if that helps.

Reprise
Next-Gen

by Reprise Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:58 pm

pierrot
Next-Gen

by pierrot Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:53 pm

Oh, my, word. That is outstanding. I about cried from it too. That fight scene with the thug boss, tho! Holy shit! I'm going to have to watch it several more times.
Return to General Gaming