Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Blu
Next-Gen

Re: Shenmue 3 Kickstarter

by Blu Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:32 pm

Yeah, just saw that video. Looks really sharp and I think it's something that obviously was intended to be displayed around E3.

The only thing that has me nervous is the cramped release schedule around the holidays. That November release isn't going to do Shenmue 3 any favors regarding commercial success. I doubt we'd expect Shenmue 3 to be a blockbuster hit and sell millions of copies, but at least with that August release there wasn't much competition. Looks like I'm going to have to buy 4+ copies. At this point I just want to know what happens with the story and anything that moves the needle to completing the saga is worth it in my opinion. Even if it ends up not being a game after this, but a manga or animation or something.
pierrot
Next-Gen

by pierrot Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:04 pm

That video makes me really hot, and I don't think it's just because I'm refusing to use air conditioning right now. I'm happy to get the confirmation email about activity for this year's E3. Will be interesting to see what comes out of it, but even it's nothing more than the trailer, I'm pretty happy.
Reprise
Next-Gen

by Reprise Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:04 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95UGztD5_jM

Edit: And Japanese version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgkY2CIQeIA

Also, it's an Epic Store exclusive now, which means everyone is trashing it :(
Own: Sega Mega Drive, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation One, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, PS Vita, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Nintendo Gamecube, Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo 3DS, Nintendo Switch, OUYA.

My gaming blog: https://366gamestoplay.wordpress.com

PSN ID: Anesthetize666
Nintendo ID: Mark-Beth
Twitter: https://twitter.com/366GamesToPlay
Blu
Next-Gen

by Blu Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:00 pm

Yes, the Epic Games backlash is a tad deserved, but overblown. People felt similarly about how Steam's distribution system back in the day. However Epic Games has a different philosophy for the release of their distribution system, which is solely to make money and make exclusivity a priority. Steam's not like that and never has been about exclusivity. I think Yu Suzuki probably isn't much aware of what Epic Games platform is but saw the financial opportunity, not knowing fully the impacts by not going the Steam route.
Reprise
Next-Gen

by Reprise Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:54 am

I suspect that's what happened. They were probably offered a deal that made perfect financial sense, that no sane business in any normal circumstances would turn down, not realising what a PR disaster it would be and how toxic EGS is to a lot of PC gamers.

The one thing I don't understand is the legalities. PC backers think they have a case for a refund or even legal action. Thoughts?

So when the Kickstarter launched, there was no mention of distribution platform. You either backed for a digital PC version or PS4 version, or physical PC or PS4 version. At that point, you made the transaction. However, when they issued backer fulfillment surveys, backers filled out an order form that gave backers the choice of Steam (disc or digital) or PS4. Backers claim because it was an order form via Fangamer, it means it has legal backing and they must fulfill the order. I don't quite get that though, because at the point of transaction (either via KS or Slacker Backer), they only mentioned the platform (PC or PS4)... That said, they gave you the option to upgrade and add extra stuff to your pledge on Fangamers page, so in some instances maybe it does give it legal backing. Thoughts? Do PC gamers have a point?
Own: Sega Mega Drive, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation One, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, PS Vita, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Nintendo Gamecube, Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo 3DS, Nintendo Switch, OUYA.

Blu
Next-Gen

by Blu Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:38 am

Seems to me that the exclusivity rider with EGS that seems to be the catalyst. I have no idea if there'd be grounds for a class action lawsuit, because I feel like it was deliberately stated that it would be available for PC, not some binding agreement that it had to be Steam. I find it comical because for the longest time the PC crowd has claimed it is the "master race" and all that nonsense, but they've become so complacent on Steam being their launcher that now they can't handle another launcher? I know EGS has its flaws and some possible rumors about spyware but c'mon. I find the entitlement a bit ironic.

Edit:

Additionally I think that everyone is pointing the finger at Deep Silver and Epic for this one. I'd have to think that they ran this by their legal teams before signing the paperwork and making sure it was airtight. Probably given the funding wanted to make sure it was airtight to avoid any legal ramifications given the bad PR.

Lastly, I think everyone is being short-sighted. If it secures the funding for a possible sequel and end to the series, that's a gift from this deal.
bmoc
Next-Gen

by bmoc Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:43 am

I don't have a dog in this fight but I think backers have every right to be upset between the Limited Run Games Collector's Edition and the Steam bait and switch. Issuing refunds would be the right thing to do for folks that want it. I think that a lawsuit is likely (you can sue anyone over anything in the US after all) but whether it will make it very far in the court system, I have no idea. At the very least, I see Kickstarter updating their TOS over this mess.
Michi
Next-Gen

by Michi Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:02 am

Yeesh. I'm suddenly very happy I picked the PS4 option.
marurun

by marurun Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:17 pm

Bait and switch sounds a little hyperbolic... in fact, the assumption that a game on PC will be available through Steam is itself an indictment of the massive control and dominance Steam has over the PC market. (Yes, I realize one survey did mention Steam, but still...) I say this as a man with a large Steam library who used to scoop up crap during sales by the digital handful.
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Reprise
Next-Gen

by Reprise Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:38 pm

bmoc wrote:I don't have a dog in this fight but I think backers have every right to be upset between the Limited Run Games Collector's Edition

Not sure I agree with that one. I'm not sure why backers always feel they're entitled to the coolest stuff over ordinary consumers. At the end of the day, they have to do everything they can to offer insentives to get more people to buy the game when it comes out in order to make it a success.

The Kickstarter edition comes in an exclusive sleeve. That's all backers were promised as far as the physical edition was concerned.

Return to General Gaming