Shenmue 3 Kickstarter

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Blu
Next-Gen

Re: Shenmue 3 Kickstarter

Post by Blu »

Thanks for the reply Reprise. I think that's the case. Kelso is Japan based and makes most sense they pursued a new voice actor.

I had no idea that the game was implementing so much with Deep Silver's backing. I still wish that grappling was a thing. It seems a bit silly to have a Jujutsu /Jiujitsu martial artist who in game performs no grappling.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

Reprise wrote:What? Shenmue isn't a trilogy and Shenmue 3 isn't the final part. That has never been the case and nothing has changed. Yu Suzuki was asked in 2015 if he'd be able to alter the story to finish it with the third game and he said it would be impossible without butchering the story and providing an unsatisfactory conclusion. I hate to break it to you, but you're going to be waiting for a Shenmue 4... :P

In case you're wondering how many games Yu Suzuki is planning, I think he said he can cram it all into 5 games if needed, but I'm pretty sure he said he'd prefer to do 6.

Indeed i was under the wrong impression, I thought everyone supported this project because it will finally end the Shenmue story that everyone was waiting for after 2's clifhanger. This guy has some nerves showing after 15 years to say there are still 4 more games to complete the story.

At this rate, He might die before completing it. Unless they do one of those things where the first game takes 5 years to make then the sequels just 1 year. Vice City was only 1 year after GTA III, and San Andreas 2 years after that.
Blu
Next-Gen

Post by Blu »

RCBH928 wrote:
Reprise wrote:What? Shenmue isn't a trilogy and Shenmue 3 isn't the final part. That has never been the case and nothing has changed. Yu Suzuki was asked in 2015 if he'd be able to alter the story to finish it with the third game and he said it would be impossible without butchering the story and providing an unsatisfactory conclusion. I hate to break it to you, but you're going to be waiting for a Shenmue 4... :P

In case you're wondering how many games Yu Suzuki is planning, I think he said he can cram it all into 5 games if needed, but I'm pretty sure he said he'd prefer to do 6.

Indeed i was under the wrong impression, I thought everyone supported this project because it will finally end the Shenmue story that everyone was waiting for after 2's clifhanger. This guy has some nerves showing after 15 years to say there are still 4 more games to complete the story.

At this rate, He might die before completing it. Unless they do one of those things where the first game takes 5 years to make then the sequels just 1 year. Vice City was only 1 year after GTA III, and San Andreas 2 years after that.

I agree, I don't think he has nerve, but there is definitely a disconnect with the fans and community that love the series. I think in the past he has said if future games won't materialize then he will pursue other methods to wrap up the story.
Reprise
Next-Gen

Post by Reprise »

I mean, I feel like anyone who thinks someone 'should just wrap-up the story' really doesn't understand how story writing works.

"Yeah, it's really simple. Just remove all these really important narrative points, remove these characters, trim some of this fat and just force an ending half way through your story. Simples"

Or my favourite one I saw on Facebook a few months back was "no, I'm not saying Yu Suzuki should butcher his story. I'm saying just make the game super long. He should act like he's making Shenmue 3, 4, 5 etc and just make one super long game."

Anyways, he has already said Shenmue 4 won't take anywhere near as long as Shenmue 3 because they've got a core team in place and it will be built on the same engine, so they have already done much of the legwork getting used to the engine.
Own: Sega Mega Drive, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation 1, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, Playstation 5, PS Vita, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Nintendo Gamecube, Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo Gameboy Advance, Nintendo DS, Nintendo New 3DS, Nintendo Switch

My gaming blog: https://366gamestoplay.wordpress.com

PSN ID: Anesthetize666
Nintendo Switch ID: SW-8077-5145-0328
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

I don't know of any other videogame or movie that stretches to 6 titles. The magic number is 3. Either that or multiple stories happen in the same universe like MGS, or they create continuous sequels but each game is its own thing.

Maybe when they launched the Dreamcast they dreamed big and had this idea of this mega epic 6 part story 3D living world, sure, but once you saw the writing on the wall maybe you should wrap it up. Anyway, if he can complete the 6 in time no harm done, but as a fan I will be upset if this never gets done. Shenmue is a full fledged game, not indie, and it needs serious backing to do 3 more games. If SIII doesn't hit targets we might never see 4.
Reprise
Next-Gen

Post by Reprise »

Erm what? Lots of books, films, TV shows and games stretch across multiple titles. I don't get what's so strange about that. Also, Shenmue being between 4 and 6 games IS the condensed version... It was originally envisioned as being between 10 and 15 games.
Own: Sega Mega Drive, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation 1, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, Playstation 5, PS Vita, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Nintendo Gamecube, Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo Gameboy Advance, Nintendo DS, Nintendo New 3DS, Nintendo Switch

marurun

Post by marurun »

El Dorado Gate on Dreamcast has 7 installments, and that's all on the short-lived Dreamcast.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Reprise
Next-Gen

Post by Reprise »

Sload Soap
Next-Gen

Post by Sload Soap »

To be fair though, I kind of agree with RCBH. Shenmue 3 should end the story regardless of how much junk Suzuki thinks he has left to tell. There isn't much story to Shemue anyway beyond "man wants revenge for death of father". If Shemue 3 ends on another cliffhanger after 20 years of waiting that will be taking the piss.
Reprise
Next-Gen

Post by Reprise »

Sload Soap wrote:There isn't much story to Shemue anyway beyond "man wants revenge for death of father".

I think you've missed the point of the story...