Shenmue 3 Kickstarter

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Blu
Next-Gen

Re: Shenmue 3 Kickstarter

Post by Blu »

I have a random question. It sounds like the voice actor for Ren has changed. It definitely does not sound like Eric Kelso. Eric has been Jacky Bryant from Virtua Figher in the past. He definitely suits Ren. What's the word, can't really find anything.

That newest trailer really is capturing the spirit of the original two games. I cannot wait!
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

I think Shenmue is the longest waiting period in any media type to complete its saga. Its almost 2 decades.

Also, I don't know how long it takes to develop a game, but this one took a complete console generation. This thread is 4.5 years old.
Reprise
Next-Gen

Post by Reprise »

Blu wrote:I have a random question. It sounds like the voice actor for Ren has changed. It definitely does not sound like Eric Kelso. Eric has been Jacky Bryant from Virtua Figher in the past. He definitely suits Ren. What's the word, can't really find anything.

That newest trailer really is capturing the spirit of the original two games. I cannot wait!

Some fans managed to contact Eric and he expressed a desire to return. Said fan(s) also contacted Deep Silver who also asked in return if they could have the contact details for Eric so they could explore it as an option.

There's no official word on why he didn't return though. Some have speculated it's because English voice recordings were done in... I want to say LA? (I'm probably way off, but it's somewhere in America in any case) and they wanted actors who were local to the area fot budget reasons. I think I read Eric now lives in Japan, or maybe I'm thinking of someone else.
Own: Sega Mega Drive, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation 1, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, Playstation 5, PS Vita, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Nintendo Gamecube, Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo Gameboy Advance, Nintendo DS, Nintendo New 3DS, Nintendo Switch

My gaming blog: https://366gamestoplay.wordpress.com

PSN ID: Anesthetize666
Nintendo Switch ID: SW-8077-5145-0328
Reprise
Next-Gen

Post by Reprise »

RCBH928 wrote:Also, I don't know how long it takes to develop a game, but this one took a complete console generation. This thread is 4.5 years old.

You have to remember as it's a Kickstarter game, it does feel longer. Normally games don't get announced until they're deep into development. With Kickstarter they are announcing a game before they have even started work. Development for Shenmue 3 didn't really properly start until towards the end of 2015. Still about 4 years, but then it is quite an ambitious title being built on a small budget. Also, the scope did change half way through development when Deep Silver came on board.
Own: Sega Mega Drive, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation 1, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, Playstation 5, PS Vita, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Nintendo Gamecube, Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo Gameboy Advance, Nintendo DS, Nintendo New 3DS, Nintendo Switch

MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

RCBH928 wrote:I think Shenmue is the longest waiting period in any media type to complete its saga. Its almost 2 decades.

Also, I don't know how long it takes to develop a game, but this one took a complete console generation. This thread is 4.5 years old.

It has managed to eclipse Duke Nukem Forever in time between installments, but in terms of dev time Duke Nukem Forever still wins.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

Reprise wrote:You have to remember as it's a Kickstarter game, it does feel longer. Normally games don't get announced until they're deep into development. With Kickstarter they are announcing a game before they have even started work. Development for Shenmue 3 didn't really properly start until towards the end of 2015. Still about 4 years, but then it is quite an ambitious title being built on a small budget. Also, the scope did change half way through development when Deep Silver came on board.

I know its Kickstarter but its not like they are building from zero. They are the same professionals who worked on it in the first place, so they know what they are doing. Plus I think it has the backup of other companies like Sega, its not like they are totally on their own.

How did the scope change halfway through? I thought this was the one originally planned all along.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

MrPopo wrote:
RCBH928 wrote:I think Shenmue is the longest waiting period in any media type to complete its saga. Its almost 2 decades.

It has managed to eclipse Duke Nukem Forever in time between installments, but in terms of dev time Duke Nukem Forever still wins.

Duke Nukem is a 3rd installment in the series, its not a trilogy story, is it?
Shenmue you left hanging waiting for the 3rd part and final of the story for 20 years :lol:
Reprise
Next-Gen

Post by Reprise »

RCBH928 wrote:
MrPopo wrote:

Duke Nukem is a 3rd installment in the series, its not a trilogy story, is it?
Shenmue you left hanging waiting for the 3rd part and final of the story for 20 years :lol:

What? Shenmue isn't a trilogy and Shenmue 3 isn't the final part. That has never been the case and nothing has changed. Yu Suzuki was asked in 2015 if he'd be able to alter the story to finish it with the third game and he said it would be impossible without butchering the story and providing an unsatisfactory conclusion. I hate to break it to you, but you're going to be waiting for a Shenmue 4... :P

In case you're wondering how many games Yu Suzuki is planning, I think he said he can cram it all into 5 games if needed, but I'm pretty sure he said he'd prefer to do 6.

Reprise
Next-Gen

Post by Reprise »

RCBH928 wrote:
Reprise wrote:You have to remember as it's a Kickstarter game, it does feel longer. Normally games don't get announced until they're deep into development. With Kickstarter they are announcing a game before they have even started work. Development for Shenmue 3 didn't really properly start until towards the end of 2015. Still about 4 years, but then it is quite an ambitious title being built on a small budget. Also, the scope did change half way through development when Deep Silver came on board.

I know its Kickstarter but its not like they are building from zero. They are the same professionals who worked on it in the first place, so they know what they are doing. Plus I think it has the backup of other companies like Sega, its not like they are totally on their own.

How did the scope change halfway through? I thought this was the one originally planned all along.

The scope changed when Deep Silver came on board in 2017. The added time, resources and investment meant they were able to flesh out much of the world and add a ton of stuff that they weren't able to on the KS budget alone. Also, you can see a more visual representation of this - albeit only in terms of stretch goals - here (stretch goals that the campaign failed to reach have been implemented):

marurun

Post by marurun »

Also, Sega isn't backing this at all, AFAIK. Sega just allowed Yu Suzuki to do another Shenmue. Deepsilver and Kickstarter funds, and possibly Sony, are the only major funders of this.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.