Shenmue 3 Kickstarter

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Blu
Next-Gen

Re: Shenmue 3 Kickstarter

Post by Blu »

I will gladly froth at the mouth with Bogus on this one. I love Shenmue and I hope the new game blows us all away. These screenshots are definitely doing the game some service. Lan Di looks awesome. I want Ryo to have a tad more redesign, but that China shot looks awesome too. It's giving me a little Fallout vibe though on that steel wall.
Reprise
Next-Gen

Post by Reprise »

Blu wrote: It's giving me a little Fallout vibe though on that steel wall.

I believe that's inside the boat (seen in the last trailer). There's a pretty strong rumour that the original chapter 2 that was cut from Shenmue 2 (set on the boat journey from Japan to China, in which Chai returned and was included in the Xbox release as a short comic), is being reworked into Shenmue 3, presumably on a boat ride Ryo needs to take when travelling between two of the locations in the game. Yu Suzuki actually said as much in a recent interview, although it wasn't clear if he meant it would be included as a flashback, as some sort of demo or whether he has decided to rework it and include it in Shenmue 3 as part of its narrative and as a gameplay section.

Edit: Just noticed this has been posted

Own: Sega Mega Drive, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation 1, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, Playstation 5, PS Vita, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Nintendo Gamecube, Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo Gameboy Advance, Nintendo DS, Nintendo New 3DS, Nintendo Switch

My gaming blog: https://366gamestoplay.wordpress.com

PSN ID: Anesthetize666
Nintendo Switch ID: SW-8077-5145-0328
Blu
Next-Gen

Post by Blu »

I like that rumor. Wasn't it previously only an unlockable comic in Shenmue 2 on Xbox/Dreamcast? I'd like to see a cutscene at least. Ren is looking pretty sharp though. Hard to believe this game is coming out this year, the Kickstarter feels forever ago.
Arenegeth
24-bit

Post by Arenegeth »

Lan Di looks a lot better than what he looked like before, acceptable almost, I say almost because of the angle, I want to see him in full 360 degrees rotation to form a complete opinion.

But to be honest, I gave up on the character models looking on par with the previous games a long time ago, and especially now that I've been soaking up on the original Shenmue for the last few months.

Is the rest of the game I hope they get right, and hopefully they will, this has been a long wait (and $500 spend on Kickstarter) so hopefully it will be worth it.
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

Post by BogusMeatFactory »

MrPopo wrote:
BogusMeatFactory wrote:I am here as well, but I am keeping myself in check because my enjoyment of the series draws the ire of lots of folks. I am very excited about the new screenshots and think the Lan Di redesign is on point. I can not wait for August!

I don't know that I'd call it ire; we're just all amused at how deeply you enjoy this incredibly flawed game.

Every game is incredibly flawed and it is only our personal perspective that allows us to overlook them and enjoy a game.
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

BogusMeatFactory wrote:
MrPopo wrote:
BogusMeatFactory wrote:I am here as well, but I am keeping myself in check because my enjoyment of the series draws the ire of lots of folks. I am very excited about the new screenshots and think the Lan Di redesign is on point. I can not wait for August!

I don't know that I'd call it ire; we're just all amused at how deeply you enjoy this incredibly flawed game.

Every game is incredibly flawed and it is only our personal perspective that allows us to overlook them and enjoy a game.

Untrue. Tetris is a masterpiece.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
SamuraiMegas
Next-Gen

Post by SamuraiMegas »

How are the ports of the first two games on ps4? Kind of interested in trying out the series, though I'm not sure if its worth it.
Hobie-wan wrote:Milk the banana for all it's worth.

My BST Thread
Arenegeth
24-bit

Post by Arenegeth »

SamuraiMegas wrote:How are the ports of the first two games on ps4?

As ports they are pretty great. They were some stupid bugs and issues that I think have been patched since.

Now whether you like the games themselves, it really depends what you expect when you walk into them.

They play more like an adventure game, with great emphasis on exploration rather than combat, though the second game is more combat focused than the first.

The fight mechanics themselves are based on Virtual Fighter so they are pretty competent at that, but they are not really what the games are about.
Reprise
Next-Gen

Post by Reprise »

This image has showed up on Amazon pre-order listings. Forewarning, it looks like a build from late 2017, so far from the finished product (and not even reflective of the most recent screens).

Own: Sega Mega Drive, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation 1, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, Playstation 5, PS Vita, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Nintendo Gamecube, Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo Gameboy Advance, Nintendo DS, Nintendo New 3DS, Nintendo Switch

My gaming blog: https://366gamestoplay.wordpress.com

PSN ID: Anesthetize666
Nintendo Switch ID: SW-8077-5145-0328
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

Post by BogusMeatFactory »

That is the most shenmue feeling screenshot so far.
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.