Shenmue 3 Kickstarter

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Betagam7
128-bit

Re: Shenmue 3 Kickstarter

Post by Betagam7 »

RCBH928 wrote:so, when is this game going to be done?

pierrot
Next-Gen

Post by pierrot »

The original target for release was going to be next month. That was sort of a crazy schedule to attempt to meet, and it should come as no surprise to anyone that they made an announcement over the summer that the release window would be pushed out a bit. Officially, the release is supposed to come in the second half of 2018, but I would imagine it will be about a year from now, rather than ~8 months.
Reprise
Next-Gen

Post by Reprise »

RCBH928 wrote:so, when is this game going to be done?

Current release timeframe: Second half of 2018.

What I'm expecting: Q2 2019.

Edit: BTW, this is a potentially a stupid question, however I always wondered with Kickstarter and crowd funded games how does it work when they get delayed and delayed? Surely they're just exhausting and wasting their cash? I mean people aren't working for free right? They are being paid by the hour? Or do they not take a wage for their work? How does this work? Because most Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games are delayed by at least a year and that's an extra 12 months of wages and other expenditures that they didn't calculate for, right? It surely isn't all 'well we need more time to make the game better, but it won't cost any more money'.
Own: Sega Mega Drive, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation 1, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, Playstation 5, PS Vita, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Nintendo Gamecube, Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo Gameboy Advance, Nintendo DS, Nintendo New 3DS, Nintendo Switch

My gaming blog: https://366gamestoplay.wordpress.com

PSN ID: Anesthetize666
Nintendo Switch ID: SW-8077-5145-0328
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

It depends. Some games take in a bunch of extra funding, which drives additional features that take longer to implement. If they've done the appropriate project planning then the amount for the stretch goal covers the additional time. Other projects will find some other way to account for the extra time worked. This might involve dipping into savings/cash on hand under the presumption that you can make it back once you ship. And some projects will secure another source of funding; while generally they can't go the Kickstarter route again because of the terrible optics they might enter in a deal with a publisher with favorable terms, as the publisher will have much less skin in the game compared to a traditional setup of 100% publisher funding.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

pierrot wrote:The original target for release was going to be next month. That was sort of a crazy schedule to attempt to meet, and it should come as no surprise to anyone that they made an announcement over the summer that the release window would be pushed out a bit. Officially, the release is supposed to come in the second half of 2018, but I would imagine it will be about a year from now, rather than ~8 months.

that game has been in the works for like 2.5 years now. It should be enough I think, actually its hard to believe you paid for something when you were 3 years younger and still waiting to recieve it.
Reprise
Next-Gen

Post by Reprise »

2.5 years isn't a long time in game development... plus, the injection of funds from Deep Silver and their support means they are able to add details and make the game larger than if they were still reliant solely on the KS funds. This takes time they hadn't originally accounted for.

P.S. It's still a reasonably low budget, Indie release from the sounds of it (I.e. Don't think that just because a publisher is on board it means it will now look and play AAA. I think it will be a very divisive title...)
Own: Sega Mega Drive, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation 1, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, Playstation 5, PS Vita, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Nintendo Gamecube, Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo Gameboy Advance, Nintendo DS, Nintendo New 3DS, Nintendo Switch

Reprise
Next-Gen

Post by Reprise »

Shenmue fans 2014: "I would sell my wife and kids, chop off my left testical and live off bread and water for the rest of my life just to get Shenmue 3. Hell, just give us a book that tells us what would have happened in the game!"

Shenmue fans 2015: "Yay Shenmue 3 is happening! This is the greatest day of my life!"

Shenmue fans 2017: "whinge whinge whinge whinge whinge whinge whinge whinge whinge whinge whinge whinge whinge whinge whinge whinge whinge whinge whinge whinge whinge whinge whinge whinge whinge whinge whinge whinge whinge whinge whinge whinge whinge whinge whinge whinge whinge whinge whinge whinge "

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ys ... ts/2070199

Warning, the following update's comment section contains examples of casual racism, such as "I don't want a cheap Indian company involved" and "I don't want to see Ryo Bollywood dancing" :roll:

New Character & Lakshya Digital

Hello Everyone,

Today we unveil a new character and introduce the production team who is giving us a hand with character production, Lakshya Digital.

New Character!!

We gave a first look of this character earlier. You'll have to wait and see how she fits in with the temple in the background.

Introducing Lakshya Digital

Shenmue III will have a host of new, compelling characters from all walks of life.

And while we can't say just how many, it will be a lot! The game art studio Lakshya Digital will be cooperating with us to bring these great characters to life. Lakshya Digital is based in Gurgaon (one of India's financial and technology hubs) and has studios in Pune and Seattle, where production work for the game is underway.

The next dev room report is still in the works, so please look forward to it! Thank you all for your continued support.

Lakshya Studio have worked on AAA games like Bloodborne, Nier Automata and Metal Gear Solid V.

Segata
Next-Gen

Post by Segata »

I like it. Looks good.
Reprise
Next-Gen

Post by Reprise »

New update on Shenmue 3 today. It's a really interesting and informative interview with Yu Suzuki. The stuff he says sounds really promising, although I still think there's no way this game will come out 2018 and I think that even more having just watched that interview. It still sounds like they're shaping the game and have a lot of work to do.

I'm both intrigued and a little cautious on what the new fighting engine will be like. I loved the Virtua Fighter engine's use in the original series, so it was always a concern for me from the start knowing that A. It couldn't be used and B. Yu Suzuki had been saying he wanted something more accessible to new players and non-fighting game players. I'm not sure what it will be. That said, the original wasn't exactly perfect in my opinion and had its flaws. For example, it felt like battles that weren't boss battles or secret battles could be over with a blink of an eye and I'm not sure multi-man battles really played all that well from a gameplay perspective. I'm interested to see how Yu Suzuki modernises fights, but hope he doesn't mess it up, as it's a core aspect of the Shenmue gameplay.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ys ... ts/2070230

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZFPPvmr7v8

Segata
Next-Gen

Post by Segata »

Yeah, I don't think this game is coming out in 2018 either. I hope it's for the best but I'm skeptical. Too lazy to find the Shiggy quote about delayed games. I'm not upset as 2018 looks to be a busy year anyway.