Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

Re: Summer Games Challenge 2015

by BogusMeatFactory Sat May 30, 2015 10:02 pm

Exhuminator wrote:I like this idea, I think I could get on board for 5 games to fit the criteria. I'll have to ruminate over this and get back in here with my list.

If the summer theme is about beating influential (or notorious) classic games, what is the winter theme about?

Completing the entire Imagine series of games.
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
darsparx
Next-Gen

by darsparx Sat May 30, 2015 10:17 pm

BogusMeatFactory wrote:
Exhuminator wrote:I like this idea, I think I could get on board for 5 games to fit the criteria. I'll have to ruminate over this and get back in here with my list.

If the summer theme is about beating influential (or notorious) classic games, what is the winter theme about?

Completing the entire Imagine series of games.

While you do that i'll go gouge my eyes out...definitely don't need those awful commercials replaying in my head again...
My gameroom
My systems: NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii, original gba, gba sp(001), ds lite, 3ds, vita, psp, PSone(101 model) ps2, ps3(320gb model), ps4, retron 5, and Dreamcast.

bogusmeatfactory wrote:Ever feel like a wild gazelle in the wilderness?
MrPopo

by MrPopo Sun May 31, 2015 1:08 am

prfsnl_gmr wrote:
alienjesus wrote:Seeing as I tried Triple Triad and hated it, I'm just refining cards as I get them.

I actually really liked Triple Triad, and I still consider it the best mini-game in any FF game. Moreover, if you get good at it, you can get some insane equipmentand summons from some of the rarer cards.

Yeah, the first time I tried Triple Triad it didn't have any appeal but later on I tried again and it really clicked. And once it does and you start getting those rare cards it gets to be really fun. The biggest thing is if you spread bad rules then it starts to suck again. Then Square utterly dropped the ball with Tetra Master. Let's make it non-deterministic AND not give any rewards whatsoever!

Speaking of in-game card games, I've been really enjoying gwent in Witcher 3. There's a lot of baiting out enemy responses so you can take advantage of them.
Games Beaten: 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Sun May 31, 2015 9:55 pm

I consider the summer to be June, July, and August. Considering tomorrow is June the 1st, I think I'm jumping in right on the midnight hour with this train. I decided that for me, "classic" means the game has to be at least 15 years old (kiss muh butt Dsh). So here are my 5 personal picks for the Summer Games Challenge 2015:

Castlevania Bloodlines | Genesis | 1994
Clock Tower | SFC | 1995
Echo Night | PS1 | 1998
King's Field (AKA King's Field II in Japan) | PS1 | 1995
Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers | Saturn | 1997*

I have not beaten any of these games before. I will start on one of them as soon as I'm done with Bionic Commando on 360, and Vanquish on PS3.

*I will be playing this on 3DS, but the 3DS version is just a port of the 1997 Saturn game, so I think it counts all in all.
Last edited by Exhuminator on Mon Jun 01, 2015 12:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Sun May 31, 2015 9:58 pm

Props on Clock Tower!
darsparx
Next-Gen

by darsparx Sun May 31, 2015 10:37 pm

@exhum I don't think you'd have to worry about dsh critiquing your list anyways...though I still think the criteria should be:

Old enough(I still say ps2 and back since that really seems like a long time ago now especially in the realm of gaming now a days) and important in shaping either the genre or system as a whole. At least I think that's what my list went by anyways too :roll:
My gameroom
My systems: NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii, original gba, gba sp(001), ds lite, 3ds, vita, psp, PSone(101 model) ps2, ps3(320gb model), ps4, retron 5, and Dreamcast.

bogusmeatfactory wrote:Ever feel like a wild gazelle in the wilderness?
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Mon Jun 01, 2015 12:30 am

Yeah I kinda blew it on the "influential" aspect. I'm just going with stuff that's simply older than 15 years and has always interested me. I'm sure I'm not the only one with a bulbous list of "some day I want to try that" games.

And Darsparx there are PS2 games that are 15 years old now, so you've got my vote on the platform.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Key-Glyph
Next-Gen

by Key-Glyph Mon Jun 01, 2015 12:51 am

Exhuminator, I'm really excited that you're going for Clock Tower! Can't wait to read your breakdown.

I've never played it, but I've watched gameplay and such. Something I'd love to know (and for non-Exhuminators who might respond, put it under spoilers so that it doesn't mess with his experience) is how intelligent the AI is. In other words, I'm curious as to how the player is tracked, how thoroughly, and whether encounter locations are always predetermined or not.
BogusMeatFactory wrote:If I could powder my copies of shenmue and snort them I would
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Mon Jun 01, 2015 8:23 am

Moderately okay list Exhuminator. I'll accept it. At least you have the original Clock Tower there and not the PlayStation one.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Mon Jun 01, 2015 8:25 am

BoneSnapDeez wrote:Moderately okay list Exhuminator. I'll accept it. At least you have the original Clock Tower there and not the PlayStation one.

although the original was re-released on Playstation as Clock Tower First Fear in Japan.
Return to General Gaming