Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Michi
Next-Gen

Re: Summer Games Challenge 2015

by Michi Sat May 30, 2015 6:29 pm

MrPopo wrote:
Exhuminator wrote:@prfsnl_gmr

Thanks for explaining it. Sounds like a clever idea I could get behind. How do we determine if a game is old enough to meet the criteria?

The way it works is you pick something that feels old enough and then Dave comes in and dismisses it as not a classic.

Sounds about right.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Sat May 30, 2015 6:52 pm

Exhuminator wrote:Atlantis is a fun game

Ah shucks, I thought you meant the Atari game at first.

Exhuminator wrote:I should have gave myself a summer challenge. I don't even know how this system is supposed to work though.

Pick some classics. Beat 'em. Hopefully.

No strict age criteria, though something like 7th gen backlog clearing isn't really appropriate.

Look for some well-known and respected Atari, NES, SMS, SNES, Gen titles you've never gotten around to completing.
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

by BogusMeatFactory Sat May 30, 2015 6:56 pm

BoneSnapDeez wrote:
No strict age criteria, though something like 7th gen backlog clearing isn't really appropriate.

Look for some well-known and respected Atari, NES, SMS, SNES, Gen titles you've never gotten around to completing.

I was gonna say, I feel pretty awkward about my plethora of PS2 title choices, but they are genuine classics and beginnings of a series I have never played or given an honest chance.
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Sat May 30, 2015 7:02 pm

MrPopo wrote:
Exhuminator wrote:@prfsnl_gmr

Thanks for explaining it. Sounds like a clever idea I could get behind. How do we determine if a game is old enough to meet the criteria?

The way it works is you pick something that feels old enough and then Dave comes in and dismisses it as not a classic.

:lol:

That sounds about right. My personal definition of "classic" is any game more than 10-15 years old that has received critical acclaim or was profoundly influential on future video games. I often consult lists of the "best games of all time" from respected publications when I pick games for the summer games challenge. My games for this year are:

Blaster Master (NES/PSP)
Earthbound (SNES/WIIU)
E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial (2600/7800)
Kaboom! (2600/7800)
Galactic Attack/RayForce (SATURN/XBOX)
Half-Life (PC/PS2)
R-Type Delta (PS1/PS3)
Samurai Shodown II (NEOGEO/PS2)
Shining Force II (GENESIS/PS3)
Virtua Racing (ARCADE/PS2)

My games for last year were:

1. Dragon's Lair
2. Flashback
3. Halo 2
4. Jumping Flash! 2

5. Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake
6. Military Madness
7. Return Fire

8. R-Type Delta
9. Virtual Boy Wario Land
10. Ys III: Wanderers from Ys

As you can see, I did not complete all of the games I chose last year, and one of them - a particularly aweome and particularly challenging one - ended up on this year's list. I also hope that this year's list provides me with a game as challenging and engaging as Military Madness, a game I never would have pushed through without motivation from this forum.

I hope that helps. This thread really does represent the Rackeboy community at its finest, and I hope that you choose to participate.

BogusMeatFactory wrote:I was gonna say, I feel pretty awkward about my plethora of PS2 title choices, but they are genuine classics and beginnings of a series I have never played or given an honest chance.

The age is fine - I had Halo 2 on my list last year - but Snoopy vs. The Red Baron is a VERY questionable choice. :lol:
alienjesus
Next-Gen

by alienjesus Sat May 30, 2015 7:07 pm

More Final Fantasy VIII progress. I'm 15 hours in and thinking I'm in for the long haul here - I'm just arriving at Galbadia Garden after leaving Timber, and I'm still on the first disc.

I've been making sure my GFs learn all the magic refining abilities. Card mod is wonderful. Seeing as I tried Triple Triad and hated it, I'm just refining cards as I get them. Getting 100 black holes for the Diablos card and refining them into demi magic has given my party a real power boost. I'm running Curaga on all 3 of them in the HP or vitality slots too.

All the stuff with Laguna seems interesting. I know a few spoilers of FFVIII, but what's going on there is all new to me, so I look forward to finding out more.

So far, this is way, way, way better than FFVII.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Sat May 30, 2015 7:17 pm

alienjesus wrote:So far, this is way, way, way better than FFVII.

I don't agree with this, but I don't think FFVII sets the bar very high anyway.
Ack

by Ack Sat May 30, 2015 7:33 pm

MrPopo wrote:
Exhuminator wrote:
Ack wrote:Final Fantasy V

You're in for a boring time. Extremely overrated FF due to spending such a long time in Japan-only exile.

Then again maybe you'll love it who knows.

Don't listen to a word Exhuminator says; he eats babies and clubs seals.

Quick question here: is there any reason to master jobs? Folks are starting to reach their 100+ job points skills.

Yes, but not at the part of the game you are in. When you master a job that means that when you are in the Freelancer job (or one other job that will be obvious when you get it) you will gain the passive skills and the highest stat bonuses of all your mastered jobs. So a character who masters White Mage and Ninja will have the high magic stat from the White Mage, the decent speed stat from the Ninja and will natively be able to duel wield. An end game build will go for mastering several jobs and being in Freelancer so you have high stats, can combine job skills, and can use any item.

But right now, I'd recommend you focus more on using jobs that seem useful at the time. The only jobs worth keeping on top of leveling are the mage jobs, as you need to have level X in the magic skill to use level X magic. But when it comes to the other jobs, switch to Knight when you need a tank and switch away when you don't, etc. You'd be surprised at some of the ways you can exploit enemies with creative use of jobs.

So...does that mean if I master Berserker that my Freelancer is automatically berserked? That could be dangerous...

Exhuminator, you can also go for infamous games, such as when I used last year to beat Daikatana...and then promptly stopped playing my summer challenge because I was already burnt out. This year I am already at 5/10 beaten, which ties me for the best I have ever done.
I have a movie review website now: https://moviereviewsbyamook.com/
alienjesus
Next-Gen

by alienjesus Sat May 30, 2015 7:38 pm

Ack wrote:
MrPopo wrote:Don't listen to a word Exhuminator says; he eats babies and clubs seals.

Quick question here: is there any reason to master jobs? Folks are starting to reach their 100+ job points skills.

Yes, but not at the part of the game you are in. When you master a job that means that when you are in the Freelancer job (or one other job that will be obvious when you get it) you will gain the passive skills and the highest stat bonuses of all your mastered jobs. So a character who masters White Mage and Ninja will have the high magic stat from the White Mage, the decent speed stat from the Ninja and will natively be able to duel wield. An end game build will go for mastering several jobs and being in Freelancer so you have high stats, can combine job skills, and can use any item.

But right now, I'd recommend you focus more on using jobs that seem useful at the time. The only jobs worth keeping on top of leveling are the mage jobs, as you need to have level X in the magic skill to use level X magic. But when it comes to the other jobs, switch to Knight when you need a tank and switch away when you don't, etc. You'd be surprised at some of the ways you can exploit enemies with creative use of jobs.

So...does that mean if I master Berserker that my Freelancer is automatically berserked? That could be dangerous...

Exhuminator, you can also go for infamous games, such as when I used last year to beat Daikatana...and then promptly stopped playing my summer challenge because I was already burnt out. This year I am already at 5/10 beaten, which ties me for the best I have ever done.

Luckily, berserk is the only inate ability that doesn't transfer over. You have to equip the 'berserk' ability for it to do so.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Sat May 30, 2015 7:52 pm

alienjesus wrote:Seeing as I tried Triple Triad and hated it, I'm just refining cards as I get them.

I actually really liked Triple Triad, and I still consider it the best mini-game in any FF game. Moreover, if you get good at it, you can get some insane equipmentand summons from some of the rarer cards.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Sat May 30, 2015 9:57 pm

I like this idea, I think I could get on board for 5 games to fit the criteria. I'll have to ruminate over this and get back in here with my list.

If the summer theme is about beating influential (or notorious) classic games, what is the winter theme about?
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Return to General Gaming