Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Re: Summer Games Challenge 2015

by BoneSnapDeez Sat May 30, 2015 12:30 pm

CFFJR...... Yet another soul defeated by The 7th Saga.

No shame in that. Ack and BoneSnapDeez are the only two North Americans to ever complete the game. And everyone in Japan got the easier Elnard version.

I'm not really playing any of my summer games at the moment; I've been "distracted" by other pursuits instead. Some gaming-related, some not. I got really hyped for this year's challenge - maybe too hyped, as I made my list months in advance.

But as I "get older" I find that these scheduled gaming challenges don't always work out for me. I still love reading this thread though; perhaps next year I'll sit it out and just be a spectator. Who knows.

In the meantime I am really looking forward to Key's PSIII wrap-up post.
Key-Glyph
Next-Gen

by Key-Glyph Sat May 30, 2015 2:39 pm

This is not my wrap-up post. I just felt compelled to share something personal with you all that relates to how much I'm enjoying the Summer Games Challenge.
I don't know if it's common knowledge or not, but I have a chronic condition that affects a great deal of my life. Without medicine, I would be completely indisposed for at least one third of very month, and a fair portion of the remaining "healthy" time would still be a struggle. Luckily, I do have medicine, and it allows me to keep a fairly good beat on things.

This summer, however, my doctor and I are experimenting with some new stuff to see if we can find something better. I've taken leave of school and my job for the summer to do this, to give myself wiggle room for the possibility of unfortunate circumstances. You never really know what's going to happen when you go through these trial periods.

Alas, the adventure thus far has been filled with a great deal of physical pain. I've been spending a lot of the past month+ couch-ridden. Which brings to me why I am so thankful for the Summer Games Challenge.

I've always used video games as a way to ride out my condition, and am forever grateful for that. But there's something extra special to having a fun little game behind my gaming, to get excited about sharing my thoughts with you all, and reading yours, and generally just having a great time swapping stories, memories, suggestions, and recommendations. Especially when I'm stuck at home so much.

So I guess what I'm saying is, thanks for doing this silly little thing and having fun and being there for me, even though you didn't realize that I was leaning on you.

Also, I'll be fine in the long run, so don't even worry. I just wanted to share. Thanks guys.
BogusMeatFactory wrote:If I could powder my copies of shenmue and snort them I would
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

by BogusMeatFactory Sat May 30, 2015 2:55 pm

Hey Key! Stay strong and Phantasy-Star-On! How is the game going by the way?

I wanted to also take this time to share a funny little story. When I was a kid and we had a brand new Sega Genesis and we finally got a few games to bulk up our library from the mundane Altered Beast, which we played for almost an entire year exclusively. One of the games we had was NHL 94. We were playing it and loving it and one of my older brother's "friends," wanted to borrow it in exchange for another game.

We agreed to do the trade and the kid never returned the game, leaving us with this unusual creature. It was Phantasy Star II and we think that the kid absolutely hated it and wanted more sports games (something the Genesis is known for.) We were capture by the amazing art of the game and spent a multitude of hours, determined to beat it. This was our first foray into JRPGs, but we had taken our licks on the Western front with the Bard's Tale on our Apple IIGS.

Think it was an even trade? It wasn't much of a loss as we got NHL '94 back, but on the Sega CD this time. Such a great game.
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
CFFJR
Next-Gen

by CFFJR Sat May 30, 2015 3:11 pm

BoneSnapDeez wrote:CFFJR...... Yet another soul defeated by The 7th Saga.

Whoa whoa, what? Defeated? Now you listen here Mr. Reverse Psychology... :lol:

And it worked too.

Hey you know what? I just realized I skipped # in my alphabet challenge. Gonna have to fix that. 7th saga is up.

@Key

I'm pleased to hear that this challenge has been such a positive experience for you. As you've said, there's definitely more to it than just playing the games. :)

@Bogus

That kid got screeeeewed. NHL 94 is great, but its no Phantasy Star.
GameSack wrote:That's right, only Sega had the skill to make a proper Nintendo game.
Ack

by Ack Sat May 30, 2015 4:18 pm

Well, noise informed me that I was off with my TR stuff, so Mortal Kombat 2 is being pushed to July. That is fine with me.

I started up Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis this morning and messed around long enough to get to Iceland. I then switched over to Final Fantasy V and put in a few hours there. I am at the base of the mountain to go find the pet dragon, and everybody is level 13. Quick question here: is there any reason to master jobs? Folks are starting to reach their 100+ job points skills.
I have a movie review website now: https://moviereviewsbyamook.com/
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Sat May 30, 2015 5:14 pm

Ack wrote:Final Fantasy V

You're in for a boring time. Extremely overrated FF due to spending such a long time in Japan-only exile.

Then again maybe you'll love it who knows.

Atlantis is a fun game but I remember beating that in a day or two back in the 90s. Pretty easy and short. Although IIRC there's an alternate path through the game with a different ending, so it has some replayability.

I should have gave myself a summer challenge. I don't even know how this system is supposed to work though.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
MrPopo

by MrPopo Sat May 30, 2015 5:29 pm

Exhuminator wrote:

You're in for a boring time. Extremely overrated FF due to spending such a long time in Japan-only exile.

Don't listen to a word Exhuminator says; he eats babies and clubs seals.

Quick question here: is there any reason to master jobs? Folks are starting to reach their 100+ job points skills.

Yes, but not at the part of the game you are in. When you master a job that means that when you are in the Freelancer job (or one other job that will be obvious when you get it) you will gain the passive skills and the highest stat bonuses of all your mastered jobs. So a character who masters White Mage and Ninja will have the high magic stat from the White Mage, the decent speed stat from the Ninja and will natively be able to duel wield. An end game build will go for mastering several jobs and being in Freelancer so you have high stats, can combine job skills, and can use any item.

But right now, I'd recommend you focus more on using jobs that seem useful at the time. The only jobs worth keeping on top of leveling are the mage jobs, as you need to have level X in the magic skill to use level X magic. But when it comes to the other jobs, switch to Knight when you need a tank and switch away when you don't, etc. You'd be surprised at some of the ways you can exploit enemies with creative use of jobs.
Games Beaten: 2015 2016 2017 2018
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Sat May 30, 2015 5:35 pm

Exhuminator wrote:

I love FFV. It is my second-favorite game in the FF series - second only to the sublime FFVI - and I hope Ack enjoys it. (That said, I also really like FFII and FFIII; so, who knows... :lol: )

Exhuminator wrote:I should have gave myself a summer challenge. I don't even know how this system is supposed to work though.

During the Racketboy Summer Game Challenge, we each pick 5-10 "classic" games that we have always wanted to play...but have never beaten. We then use this thread to discuss our experiences and to motivate each other to complete our games. It is a good way to focus the forum back on "classic" video games, and it is a great way to cross off some of the more recalcitrant games on your backlog. (The definition of "classic" games is a bit flexible, but I usually go with games that are more than a decade old and either have received critical acclaim or profoundly influenced future video games.) I have never made it through every game on my Summer Games Challenge lists - and I probably won't make it through every game this year - but I always enjoy the discussion.

In any event, it is not to late to start, and I think it would be great for you to join in the discussion!
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Sat May 30, 2015 6:05 pm

MrPopo wrote:Don't listen to a word Exhuminator says; he eats babies and clubs seals.

Actually I only club baby seals and eat them.

@prfsnl_gmr

Thanks for explaining it. Sounds like a clever idea I could get behind. How do we determine if a game is old enough to meet the criteria?
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
MrPopo

by MrPopo Sat May 30, 2015 6:11 pm

Exhuminator wrote:@prfsnl_gmr

Thanks for explaining it. Sounds like a clever idea I could get behind. How do we determine if a game is old enough to meet the criteria?

The way it works is you pick something that feels old enough and then Dave comes in and dismisses it as not a classic.
Games Beaten: 2015 2016 2017 2018
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Return to General Gaming