Summer Games Challenge 2015

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Ack

Re: Summer Games Challenge 2015

Post by Ack »

MrPopo wrote:Hacking seems far more complicated than it is. Essentially all you do is start clicking until you get three highlighted nodes in a row. Black nodes block your ability to do it. It seems to be fairly random, so you can start hacking a device and it turns out it's impossible to get three in a row. In that case you exit and start again.

Ah, so it's basically more luck than skill and just making sure I don't touch a red one?
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

Exactly. Higher skill weighs the odds in your favor.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Ack

Post by Ack »

Ok, so is having a higher skill more worthwhile then? Is each point spent in it a bigger bonus? Is there a point where it is no longer worth going for, like the Firearms skill in Shadowrun?
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

Ack wrote:though choosing between Navy, Marines, and PsiOps is a tough choice

Basically it boils down to this...

Marines = Easiest way through but the most simple experience.

Navy = More challenging than Marines but more gameplay options at your disposal. Hacking is great and leads to many rewards.

PsiOps = Hella hard mode until way late in the game when you have your proper skillset, but this is the most unique experience of the three disciplines available.

Please play this game alone in the dark with headphones.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

There's also minimum requirements to hack various things. So you do want to get that skill up.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Ack

Post by Ack »

Hmm...ok, it's between Navy and Marines for me for my playthrough(PsiOps seems less interesting to me anyway, and I found the Psi training a bit clunky).

What do you guys suggest? Should I go be a fuckass jarhead on this FUBAR shit show or make Village People jokes the whole time? You guys should probably be aware that whatever I pick will likely transition over into how I post about the game in this thread...
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

IMO Navy is the way to go. You get access to decent weaponry, and you have the ability to hack into computer, weapon, security, and automated drone systems. Being able to fight a certain someone on their own virtual playing field feels good man.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Ack

Post by Ack »

Guess I'm gonna be a sailor then. That's good though, who doesn't love a boatload of seamen?
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Bonk's Adventure
Castlevania
Ghosts 'n Goblins
Ikari Warriors
Mega Man
Ninja Gaiden
OutRun
R-Type
Rastan
Wonder Boy

After almost three weeks I finally have one down! I decided to follow Ack's advice and focused completely on one game.

Due to its "classic" status virtually everyone reading this is likely somewhat familiar with Capcom's Ghosts 'n Goblins. Here's some basic info: the game is a very early (1985!) platformer that originated in the arcades. It was later ported to a number of systems, most notably the NES. Prior to this week, my only experience had been with said NES port - where I would typically ragequit around level...... two. For those seeking to play the arcade original, as I did for this challenge, look no further than Capcom Classics Collection Volume 1 or Capcom Classics Collection Reloaded. I chose Reloaded on PSP and played the majority of the game on the couch; my wife sat beside me and would occasionally divvy out a helpful comment like "Aren't retro games supposed to be easier?" and "I can't believe you haven't finished a game that's as old as my sister." Still trying to figure that last one out.

GnG is a very early "horror-themed" game. The introduction shows our hero, Arthur, chilling in a cemetery with his girlfriend, Prin-Prin. Poor Prinny gets whisked away by The Devil and Arthur must now traverse seven dreadful levels to get her back. The aesthetics of the game are phenomenal. The first level - still in the graveyard - sets the stage perfectly. Zombies emerge from the earth, crows haunt the tombstones, and the specters of long-departed knights (maybe others who attempted Ghosts 'n Goblins, ha!) float above the streams. Arthur's travels continue through caves, castles, and to the throne of Satan himself. The accompanying score is also excellent; it's robust "haunted house" organ music. Get used to that "begin the level again!" jungle, you'll be hearing it a lot.

See, Ghosts 'n Goblins is best known for its crushing difficulty. In what way is it difficult? Well, let's see. For starters, despite sporting a large suit of armor, poor Arthur can only take two hits. First he is reduced to his skivvies and when those come off it's time to kiss one life goodbye. Mercifully, Arthur is always equipped with some sort of projectile, but he can only fire in two directions. Enemies are fast and stealthy, spawn indefinitely, and many can move much quicker than Arthur. Jumping is stiff and "second gen" like; once you take off in a given direction that's where you're headed whether you like it or not. Additionally, there are certain antagonists (like the infamous "red devils") who will follow you until they're dispatched. Thus, running away is rarely a viable strategy - but there's also a time limit so spending too much time in one area also spells certain doom. You will die. A lot. There are unlimited continues though, and checkpoints in (some) levels. The game isn't over until you make it over, either by seeing it through or quitting.

Let's talk weapons. You begin with a spear. For a "starter" weapon it's surprisingly good - quick and with a long range. The knife is a bit faster and better. The ax and torch: these suck horribly as they travel in a slow loping arch. Do not pick these up. The shield (yes, the shield is offensive) is a peculiar case - it blocks projectiles but has a very short range. I would say stick with the knife, but at one point the game requires the shield - more on that in a minute. Survival in this game is dependent on learning how to fire properly. Mashing the action button is a poor idea as it causes Arthur to shoot projectiles in a delayed jittery fashion. Instead, try to get a steady "1-2-3...." count down. It's hard to explain but once you have it down you'll know; it's a bit similar to executing combos in Phantsy Star Online.

Stages 1 through 4 aren't insanely difficult and make up the "fun" section of the game. Like Fox News, they are fair and balanced, and are almost - dare I say - "easy" to clear after a few attempts. Stages 5 and 6 is where shit hits the fan. The game throws the rules out the window here. Unlike stages 1-4, which are horizontal, 5 and 6 are vertical. Ascending ladders can be tricky as Arthur is completely vulnerable. Enemies continually swoop from the top and bottom of the screen, making them tricky to avoid or damage. To make things worse: no more checkpoints. But that's not all. One of the most notorious video game "pranks" is introduced in stage 6, as you must defeat the bosses with the shield weapon or be sent back to the beginning of stage 5.

And the trolling doesn't stop. After conquering stage 7 (nothing but a "final" boss fight) the player is informed that "THIS ROOM IS AN ILLUSION AND IS A TRAP DEVISUT BY SATAN. GO AHEAD DAUNTLESSLY! MAKE RAPID PROGRES!" Yes, the entire game must be completed again, on a higher difficulty setting, to see the true ending. Insanity. Familiarity with the levels makes this second loop somewhat bearable though. I guess?

I enjoyed playing this. It has something of an "addictive" quality. The game relies heavily on rote memorization and every time I played I felt as if I had made a little bit more progress, which had me coming back again and again until it was all wrapped up. And beating it is something of a badge of honor. I feel like I can do anything now. Maybe I can also beat Ghouls 'n Ghosts and Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts! Perhaps I'll end up taking down Ikari Warriors and Ninja Gaiden after all! I could possibly finish my college degree! I'm not a failure after all!!!
Ack

Post by Ack »

To be helpful, I decided to cut down Bone's review to the most important part.

BoneSnapDeez wrote:I decided to follow Ack's advice

Also

BoneSnapDeez wrote:I

BoneSnapDeez wrote:
Wonder

BoneSnapDeez wrote:if

BoneSnapDeez wrote:you

BoneSnapDeez wrote:ragequit

BoneSnapDeez wrote:my sister.