Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Re: Summer Games Challenge 2015

by Exhuminator Fri May 29, 2015 12:52 am

Key-Glyph wrote:I keep hearing that IV is the best part of the series and that III is average in comparison, but do any of the other games play out an epic tale in the same way, through multiple generations?

None of the other PS games let you have kids. The funny thing to me is people made a big deal about how you can do that in DQ5 and it was so nifty... yet PS3 let you do it two years before DQ5 was even released.

PS1 to me has the best story, best worlds, and best lead character and the funnest dungeons, but the encounter rate is hard to swallow and you are required to grind quite a lot. PS2 has the best music of the series and two of its best characters (Nei & Wren), and has a really strong techno-futuristic vibe that I adore. But it also has a really really high encounter rate and once again you have to grind to get anywhere. PS4 as Bone said feels more modern in comparison and easily outclasses most SNES RPGs IMO, including Chrono Trigger (yes I honestly believe that). The only SNES RPG I would say is better than PS4 is FF6. PS4 is simply one of the very best 16 bit RPGs ever made, but you absolutely should play it only after PS1, 2, and 3. Because it's really hard to go back.

I said it before but it probably got buried, PS3 is a fine JRPG, it's just not in the same caliber of awesomeness that the other 3 games reside. That said PS3 is still better than many, many other 16 bit JRPGs I've tried.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Key-Glyph
Next-Gen

by Key-Glyph Fri May 29, 2015 1:05 am

Exhuminator wrote:I said it before but it probably got buried, PS3 is a fine JRPG, it's just not in the same caliber of awesomeness that the other 3 games reside. That said PS3 is still better than many, many other 16 bit JRPGs I've tried.
Yeah, I totally get this. Kinda makes me excited to have all the others as possibilities to move on to, if I get around to them! It sounds like it can only get better. And I do love this weird mashup setting, so I'll always be happy to get another dose of it.

Thanks for all your thoughts, you guys. It's really interesting to hear everyone's takes on the series. :)

EDIT: About Wren... did anyone else take a dance break during his transformation theme in this game? If not, I highly recommend it.

BogusMeatFactory wrote:If I could powder my copies of shenmue and snort them I would
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Fri May 29, 2015 8:59 am

@CFFJR
......And how's The 7th Saga coming along? 8)

I always thought that The 7th Saga was inspired by PSIII. The characters sprites, battle system layout, and even the overworld and dungeon design all resemble PSIII in some way. Both are great games.

I was just thinking about this this morning... Key, have you noticed that you've encountered very few actual bosses? This is characteristic of many of the PS titles; some only feature 4 or so boss battles in the entire game. Certainly not one per dungeon like many classic RPGs.
Ack

by Ack Fri May 29, 2015 9:37 am

Exhuminator wrote:
Key-Glyph wrote:I keep hearing that IV is the best part of the series and that III is average in comparison, but do any of the other games play out an epic tale in the same way, through multiple generations?

None of the other PS games let you have kids. The funny thing to me is people made a big deal about how you can do that in DQ5 and it was so nifty... yet PS3 let you do it two years before DQ5 was even released.

It's like the town-building aspect of Breath of Fire 2. I've seen a lot of people praise it there, but Tecmo's Secret of the Stars did it a year earlier.

Also, all of you who haven't need to play 7th Saga.

Anyway....

System Shock 2

I spent an hour playing this last night and made it through Deck B and Deck C of the UNN Rickenbacker. I'm now in the body of the Many and hunting for its brain. I think I'm getting pretty close, as I've already shot up a few nerve clusters and jumped across some big teeth to get to where I am. Still going strong, and I have plenty of ammo, repair tools, and healing items for all of my weapons. I'm hoping I can sit down and polish this off over the weekend.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Fri May 29, 2015 9:59 am

The final battle with the [redacted] of The Many is a tremendously challenging fight. Mainly due to endlessly spawning rumblers. Good luck.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Ack

by Ack Fri May 29, 2015 10:06 am

Exhuminator wrote:The final battle with the [redacted] of The Many is a tremendously challenging fight. Mainly due to endlessly spawning rumblers. Good luck.

Oh man, I guess I'm fighting its balls.
MrPopo

by MrPopo Fri May 29, 2015 10:48 am

Ack wrote:
Exhuminator wrote:The final battle with the [redacted] of The Many is a tremendously challenging fight. Mainly due to endlessly spawning rumblers. Good luck.

Oh man, I guess I'm fighting its balls.

Close. You need to destroy the duodenum.

Honestly, you should be able to polish off the game tonight.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

by BogusMeatFactory Fri May 29, 2015 3:47 pm

1. Oddworld: Abe's Odyssey
2. Ratchet & Clank
3. God of War
4. Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons
5. Snoopy Vs. The Red Baron

One down, 4 to go! Check out my thoughts Here!
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
Ack

by Ack Fri May 29, 2015 11:29 pm

1. Final Fantasy V
2. System Shock 2
3. Descent
4. Ultima
5. Loom
6. 7th Guest
7. Mortal Kombat 2
8. Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis
9. Super Mario Bros. 2: The Lost Levels
10. Castlevania: Dracula X

Totally worth it for the look on SHODAN's face when I put a bullet in her.

I'll likely post in depth thoughts on this one in the Games Beaten 2015 thread, but for now...I had a good time.

It's almost June. Might be time to fire up MK2.
CFFJR
Next-Gen

by CFFJR Sat May 30, 2015 8:22 am

BoneSnapDeez wrote:@CFFJR
......And how's The 7th Saga coming along? 8)

:lol:

Well, I put it in a case and printed a nice cover for it! It looks really sharp.

I keep getting distracted by other games at this point. I will get to it though, that's a promise.
GameSack wrote:That's right, only Sega had the skill to make a proper Nintendo game.
Return to General Gaming