Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Re: Summer Games Challenge 2015

by noiseredux Wed May 27, 2015 9:26 pm

just finished up the US Campaign in COD. It was great.
Ack

by Ack Thu May 28, 2015 9:29 am

System Shock 2

Just finished Deck A of the UNN Rickenbacker and have moved to Deck B. Since I screwed with the gravity controls, this deck is upside down. That makes things...interesting. I played up through the start of the deck to a chapel just to get a feel for things before I shut it off, but oh man.

I hope I no longer have to find any of those egg sacks, as those got annoying, particularly around the gravity controls. Even with all the lights off and the blinds shut, it was so dark I could barely see in there. I kept climbing up ladders or falling down holes and then hearing turrets activate. At one point, I wound up face to face with a missile turret. Not fun. I didn't spend much time hacking security equipment in the Von Braun, but now I do it constantly. My health and ammo stores are still going strong, though I am a little concerned over my supply of standard ammunition for the pistol and assault rifle. But I'm still making it through.
MrPopo

by MrPopo Thu May 28, 2015 10:43 am

Did you ever get the duplication Psi power?
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Ack

by Ack Thu May 28, 2015 10:45 am

Nope. No Psi whatsoever. I figured this would be an entertaining "straight forward" run.
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

by BogusMeatFactory Thu May 28, 2015 11:05 am

Been playing a lot of Ratchet and Clank and finally made it to the final level aaaaaaaaaaannnnnddddd I hit a wall. Having a tough time taking down the elite enemies and ammo becomes limited and there is an enormously large gap between checkpoints. ARGH!!!
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Thu May 28, 2015 11:20 am

The assault rifle and laser sabre are your keys to success Ack. If you have a TC-11, save it and all its ammo for a particularly... heartfelt battle. You can use elevators as storage chambers.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Key-Glyph
Next-Gen

by Key-Glyph Thu May 28, 2015 11:29 pm

All this Call of Duty talk makes the game sound really appealing. I might have to investigate this.

In other news, I am completely in love with Phantasy Star III. I just made my second big decision and
OMG SPACESHIPS
and
HOLY SHNIP I'M KING OF A MOON

I keep hearing that IV is the best part of the series and that III is average in comparison, but do any of the other games play out an epic tale in the same way, through multiple generations? Because that concept in a single video game is just fascinating to me.

And the replay value! I'm not even done with this game yet and I'm planning out how I'm going to go about playing through every branch eventually. I'm really looking forward to this long relationship that Phantasy Star III and I are going to have. After I finish my first run I'll probably pick it up again every year or so and explore a new scenario.

BogusMeatFactory wrote:If I could powder my copies of shenmue and snort them I would
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Thu May 28, 2015 11:49 pm

The Phantasy Star games are all quite different.

Part 1 is a difficult "old-school" 8-bit title with exploration over several planets, lotsa grinding, and somewhat disorienting first-person dungeons.
Part 2 is also quite difficult. It's an early 16-bit game but still feels simplistic and "8-bit" in design. Lotsa grinding still, and even more difficult dungeons (though they are top-down now). I really like the characters and OST in this one, though it's my least favorite of the original four.
Part 3 is the only one with the generational theme. It was designed by a different team and feels completely separate from the rest. It's also "easier" and more straightforward than its two predecessors. Gets a lot of hate, but I enjoy it.
Part 4 is amazing. It sounds a bit snarky to say this, but it feels like a SNES RPG. In other words, many would put it on par with Chrono Trigger, FFVI, etc. Play it.
Some old spin-offs: Phantasy Star II Text Adventures (exactly what it sounds like), Phantasy Star Gaiden (spin-off of part 1), Phantasy Star Adventure (first-person adventure game). Recommended for completionists only. All have fan translations.

The series completely shifted with Phantasy Star Online. Now the games are mission-based action-RPGs (with the exception of Episode III, which uses a neat card-based system) with optional multiplayer.

Overall, Phantasy Star IV and Phantasy Star Online (the original, on Dreamcast) are my faves by a landslide. But I adore the whole series. I mean, c'mon, we're talking retro JRPGs here.

By the way, if you really wanna nerd out you may enjoy this website. Spoilers ahead, so perhaps wait until you're done with PSIII?
http://ps3.huguesjohnson.com/
CFFJR
Next-Gen

by CFFJR Fri May 29, 2015 12:11 am

You know Key, I started Phantasy Star III back in January, put it down for some stupid reason, and haven't picked it up since. You have now officially caught up to me. :lol:

I was really loving the game and I need to pick it back up and finish it, especially since IV is on my challenge list.

Glad to hear you've been enjoying it. As bonesy said, for some reason the game catches a lot of shit, but it doesn't deserve it.
GameSack wrote:That's right, only Sega had the skill to make a proper Nintendo game.
Key-Glyph
Next-Gen

by Key-Glyph Fri May 29, 2015 12:49 am

CFFJR wrote:Glad to hear you've been enjoying it. As bonesy said, for some reason the game catches a lot of shit, but it doesn't deserve it.
You know, I keep hearing that the game gets dumped on -- but I guess I hang out with cooler folks, because what I've been hearing first-hand is only "Phantasy Star IV is better," not "other Phantasy Stars suck!" Good on you guys. I like the positivity.

And thanks for that breakdown, Bone. Really informative and helpful. If I continue with the series, I'll be looking into IV next. That's if it's not a million bucks on eBay. Which I assume it is.

[Checks eBay]

Woah! Pleasantly surprised! Maybe I'll pick this up for myself when the winter holidays are upon us.

BogusMeatFactory wrote:If I could powder my copies of shenmue and snort them I would
Return to General Gaming