Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
darsparx
Next-Gen

Re: Summer Games Challenge 2015

by darsparx Mon May 25, 2015 6:43 pm

I think i'm going back to chrono...every time I pick up ff1 something happens, feels as if I'm not meant to actually play and beat that one :? Plus from a history standpoint it's a interesting game but as a guy who played(albeit not beaten) newer rpgs and trying to go back and play ff1 it kinda hurts since there's improvements of other newer rpgs that I'm used to and that just doesn't have(plus I'm bored to tears while playing it....)
My gameroom
My systems: NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii, original gba, gba sp(001), ds lite, 3ds, vita, psp, PSone(101 model) ps2, ps3(320gb model), ps4, retron 5, and Dreamcast.

bogusmeatfactory wrote:Ever feel like a wild gazelle in the wilderness?
alienjesus
Next-Gen

by alienjesus Mon May 25, 2015 6:45 pm

Played more Final Fantasy VIII today.

Started from just before the Fire Cavern and made it through the test mission at Dollet. Now I'm on my way to Timber.

I'm actually getting pretty absorbed in the game which is good, but I'm concerned about time spent drawing spells still. I've been using the Card skill though, aswell as making my GFs all learn the magic refining skills so hopefully that will ease things up a bit.

Refining Tents into Curagas breaks the game pretty badly this early on.
Key-Glyph
Next-Gen

by Key-Glyph Tue May 26, 2015 2:10 am

I made my first big decision in Phantasy Star III today and have begotten a child of the second generation! I would invite you all to the baby shower, but he's already eighteen.

The way this game plays out is fascinating. I haven't looked up anything about what happens if you choose differently, but I can already infer some things. Certain areas of the map have gone dark in a way directly related to my decision, for instance. I love this, and I love going back to the same towns and speaking with different NPCs, as well as visiting familiar faces saying new things. This long view of history and seeing how the characters affect one another is the aspect I loved most about Final Fantasy Legend III's time-travel element, so I'm eating this up.

On the flipside, two complaints so far. For one, I do really wish the dialog was more fleshed out. Some characters' motivations are impossible to understand -- occasionally including the one I'm playing. I would have liked a little bit more to go on for my first decisive moment, because I couldn't tell which option made me less of a jerk -- but that said, I do enjoy filling in the gaps myself with my own narrative.

Second, the dungeon crawling is getting a tad tedious. There are hints on the worldmap that this pattern will eventually change, but at the moment I have to skulk through maze-like caves each time I want to travel between two regions. I've been making a lot of maps. At first that was cool; now it's getting frustrating. Phantasy Star III also gets you into a lot of situations where you wander down tight corridors or follow a narrow strip of overworld just to discover that there's nothing there. You get the distinct impression that the programmers didn't think you'd go that way, so they didn't block it off with a well-placed rock or tree. So, my desire to be a good cartographer tends to bite me in the bum.

Also, this walking speed! Gaah.

BogusMeatFactory wrote:If I could powder my copies of shenmue and snort them I would
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Tue May 26, 2015 8:15 am

Key-Glyph wrote:the dungeon crawling is getting a tad tedious.

Oh how I would love to see your reaction the first two games in the series. :lol:
alienjesus
Next-Gen

by alienjesus Tue May 26, 2015 8:42 am

BoneSnapDeez wrote:

Oh how I would love to see your reaction the first two games in the series. :lol:

I didn't think it was THAT bad in the first game. The second one looks horrendous for it though.
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

by BogusMeatFactory Tue May 26, 2015 9:05 am

Key-Glyph wrote:I made my first big decision in Phantasy Star III today and have begotten a child of the second generation! I would invite you all to the baby shower, but he's already eighteen.

The way this game plays out is fascinating. I haven't looked up anything about what happens if you choose differently, but I can already infer some things. Certain areas of the map have gone dark in a way directly related to my decision, for instance. I love this, and I love going back to the same towns and speaking with different NPCs, as well as visiting familiar faces saying new things. This long view of history and seeing how the characters affect one another is the aspect I loved most about Final Fantasy Legend III's time-travel element, so I'm eating this up.

On the flipside, two complaints so far. For one, I do really wish the dialog was more fleshed out. Some characters' motivations are impossible to understand -- occasionally including the one I'm playing. I would have liked a little bit more to go on for my first decisive moment, because I couldn't tell which option made me less of a jerk -- but that said, I do enjoy filling in the gaps myself with my own narrative.

Second, the dungeon crawling is getting a tad tedious. There are hints on the worldmap that this pattern will eventually change, but at the moment I have to skulk through maze-like caves each time I want to travel between two regions. I've been making a lot of maps. At first that was cool; now it's getting frustrating. Phantasy Star III also gets you into a lot of situations where you wander down tight corridors or follow a narrow strip of overworld just to discover that there's nothing there. You get the distinct impression that the programmers didn't think you'd go that way, so they didn't block it off with a well-placed rock or tree. So, my desire to be a good cartographer tends to bite me in the bum.

Also, this walking speed! Gaah.

Hey I am glad you are enjoying the game so far! Don't worry, there are things that will make travel a bit easier so fear not!! Also! Scan your maps and post them! Only because maps are cool!
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
Key-Glyph
Next-Gen

by Key-Glyph Tue May 26, 2015 10:01 am

BoneSnapDeez wrote:
I can only imagine!

It's not terrible in III by a long shot. The random encounter rate is fair, and my weapons and armor are beastly. My problems were: 1) I didn't think I'd be backtracking through caves, so I didn't make maps at first; 2) it turns out there is a fair amount of backtracking; 3) once when I couldn't figure out what to do, I unnecessarily retraced my steps over two whole areas. It turns out
I wasn't stepping on exactly the right spot in front of a fountain to proceed, and mistakenly believed my character would say something other than "Nothing usual here" if I examined an object with a secret in it. When he gave me the same old line on the fountain, I thought I was barking up the wrong tree and started making my way back to a different area based on some other hints.
That was so annoying. But lesson learned.

BogusMeatFactory wrote:If I could powder my copies of shenmue and snort them I would
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Tue May 26, 2015 11:29 am

Key-Glyph wrote:
BoneSnapDeez wrote:
I can only imagine!

I'm just gonna leave this here..... (from part II) 8)
http://fantasyanime.com/phantasystar/im ... /ikuto.png

PSIII's dungeons are a bit tedious, if anything. They're basically wide open rooms with a bunch of obstacles in the way creating one "correct" path to the end.

btw, have you noticed that every town is lush and green, even when the planet isn't? They really got lazy. :lol:
Key-Glyph
Next-Gen

by Key-Glyph Tue May 26, 2015 11:46 am

BoneSnapDeez wrote:I'm just gonna leave this here..... (from part II) 8)
http://fantasyanime.com/phantasystar/im ... /ikuto.png

BoneSnapDeez wrote:btw, have you noticed that every town is lush and green, even when the planet isn't? They really got lazy. :lol:
Haha! I showed my best friend some screenshots of the towns, and she said, "Well, I admire their consistency in urban planning." :lol:

Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Tue May 26, 2015 12:12 pm

It's been a long time since I played Phantasy Star III (circa 1991). But I remember being impressed that the houses in the towns were actually scaled properly to the size of the player sprite:

Phantasy Star III is not that impressive when compared to II and IV, but on its own it's easily a quality JRPG that outclasses many of its contemporaries.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Return to General Gaming