Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Re: Summer Games Challenge 2015

by BoneSnapDeez Sat May 23, 2015 7:11 pm

Giana on Amiga looks pretty cool. I have played the C64 version (via emulation) and the DS re-imagining and enjoyed them both.
wclem
Next-Gen

by wclem Sat May 23, 2015 7:20 pm

noiseredux wrote:
BoneSnapDeez wrote:How are you playing Giana Sisters, noise?

Amiga version.

Ok, first (short) status update. I didn't have much time to play anything today.

I played through the first level of Bonk's Adventure (Amiga) and unlike those playing on TG16 hardware, I have the benefit of saving. I think it's a great looking game, and I think I'll probably enjoy it... if I can figure out how to remap controls. I use the wonderful paid/licensed Amiga emulator package Amiga Forever, btw. So here's the thing - the Amiga version uses the 1-button joystick setup. So to jump I have to push up on the dpad. That sucks for platforming. I'll need to work that out.

Taking Ack's advice, I've installed my copy of Call Of Duty. I did the tutorial section and the first mission. I already feel like it's awesome and I'm gonna love it.

Any chance of a review of that emulator? Which one you got, is it worth the price etc??
dsheinem wrote:In any case, sorry that my avatar makes you cringe these days, but I haven't really changed my posing habits at all.
Ack

by Ack Sat May 23, 2015 8:27 pm

noiseredux wrote:Taking Ack's advice, I've installed my copy of Call Of Duty. I did the tutorial section and the first mission. I already feel like it's awesome and I'm gonna love it.

Damn straight, soldier. Hooah.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Sun May 24, 2015 11:41 am

wclem wrote:Any chance of a review of that emulator? Which one you got, is it worth the price etc??

Amiga Forever is great. It's made by Cloantro - the same developer that made C64 Forever. The Amiga one costs money, but is totally worth it. Sure you can find various free UAE emus, but the Forever edition just has so many features and is so streamlined that I can't help but want to pay them for their work.

I currently use the budget vers which is $10, and has 40 games included. There are 2 higher tier releases, each with more games/software included... the next up includes an ISO if you want burn a backup disc, and the highest one actually is a physical release.

ANYWAY - I solved my Bonk problem. Although I had it set to gamepad (rather than joystick) in the Forever settings, I didn't realize I had to go into the game's options menu to choose (2 button) gamepad instead of (1 button) joystick. I figured it would just auto-detect. Anyway, now I can jump w/ a button instead of pressing up on dpad, so I'm good.

BTW, by all accounts the Amiga version is the prettiest. I'll try to take some screenshots along the way.
Sload Soap
Next-Gen

by Sload Soap Sun May 24, 2015 1:55 pm

Haven't progressed much with my challenge. FFII is still interesting even if it is very fond of backtracking.

Anyway, I've been a bit wishy-washy this year. I don't really consider my challenge started yet, what with the shite weather and all. This has however given me time to re-evaluate my list and come up with something I think is more in line with the spirit of the thread. So, here's my originally mooted games:

Zillion
Devil May Cry 3
Super Mario Bros 2
Dark Arms
Pilot Wings
Sonic The Hedgehog (SMS)
Gargoyle's Quest
Pikmin
Jet Set Radio
Conker's Live and Reloaded

And here's my new list:
Phantasy Star IV (in for Conker's Live and Reloaded)
Final Fantasy II (in for Jet Set Radio)
Devil May Cry 3
Super Mario Bros 2
The Legend of Zelda (in for Zillion)
Pilot Wings
Wonderboy III: The Dragon's Trap (in for Sonic The Hedgehog SMS)
Dark Arms
Pikmin
Gargoyle's Quest
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Sun May 24, 2015 8:49 pm

Status...

Call Of Duty is... really good. You guys were right though; a hard game. So just taking my time with it. But enjoying it immensely.

I'm pretty damn far (I think) in Giana Sisters. Level 23. Shit gets so hard because there's pixel-perfect platforming involved at parts, and you can only jump with Up since it was made for the 1-button joystick on Amiga. Rough.
Ack

by Ack Mon May 25, 2015 12:34 am

Well, I've been playing System Shock 2 as requested, at night, in the dark, with headphones. Over the last couple of days, I have made it through the ship's Level 2 - Med/Sci, then Level 1 - Engineering, and have finished up Level 3 - Hydroponics. I'm now on Level 4 - Ops and have found the big secret of my "guardian angel" and put down a mutant assassin sent to kill me in some sort of cargo hold, one of several I take it. I had it figured that the lady on the coms wasn't quite what she claimed to be, but that was...that was pretty damn cool. So far, so good. I went Navy and have been focusing on hacking and maintaining my weapons, as well as my strength. As of right now, I'm pretty good with a wrench, and I keep hold of a pistol for security cameras and eggs, a shotgun for big robots, and a grenade launcher in case whatever I am up against just so happens to piss me off.

Over all, I'm enjoying myself. The game is challenging but not too tough, though I have some suffered some annoyances over hit boxes for enemies and myself, especially for small enemies that I face off against. The steadily respawning enemies have also gotten on my nerves a few times, as I am never sure if I can really use a room for a safehouse or not. I try to build a safe zone for items on each floor, just in case, but sometimes it just doesn't work out the way I want.

A few tactics I have taken up: Use the wrench. Plan ahead. Figure out areas where I can heal/research/read notes without interruption on every floor and in every section. Don't carry weapons I will never use. Be willing to turn back to grab supplies, don't walk around with them if you don't need them. Hack everything. Shoot all security cameras. When possible, kill enemies with elevators. Above all else, try not to die, and remember that all of those hive mind mutant bastards feel it every time you beat one's face in.
MrPopo

by MrPopo Mon May 25, 2015 2:04 am

Right outside the elevators is a good spot for stashing weapons. I don't think there's any enemy respawns in those areas and they're readily available.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Ack

by Ack Mon May 25, 2015 2:03 pm

MrPopo wrote:Right outside the elevators is a good spot for stashing weapons. I don't think there's any enemy respawns in those areas and they're readily available.

Well, kind of. Enemies seemed to spawn in the entrance room of the Ops deck quite often. Thankfully I was able to throw my stuff into a respawn room easily and only had to go back to it occasionally. I'm through with Ops now though. On to deck 5.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Mon May 25, 2015 5:36 pm

The Adventures Of Willy Beamish
Bloodrayne
Bonk's Adventure
Call Of Duty
Diablo
Dragon Quest
The Great Giana Sisters
King Of Fighters 2002