noiseredux
Next-Gen

Re: Summer Games Challenge 2015

by noiseredux Sat Sep 12, 2015 10:46 pm

I hate II so much.
MrPopo

by MrPopo Sun Sep 13, 2015 12:05 am

pierrot wrote:Also, Gaiden is almost completely unrelated to the rest of the series, in terms of story.

It gets pulled back in a bit in Awakening, considering the continent it's set on is the second half of Awakening's story.

I think VI is pretty crappy. I'd go for XII instead. (Personally, I like XIII better than VI, too.)

Get out. Go. Get lost.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

by alienjesus Sun Sep 13, 2015 8:34 am

pierrot wrote:Why bother with FE: Ankoku Ryu? The first half of Monsho no Nazo is an updated version of the Famicom game. Also, Gaiden is almost completely unrelated to the rest of the series, in terms of story. Worth keeping in mind that the series creator left Nintendo after Thracia. (Sure was nice of Nintendo to threaten legal action against him while he was working on Tear Ring Saga.)

Because I want to see where it all started. Monsho no Nazo and Shadow Dragon both have/are remakes of the game sure, but it still has it's own unique mechanics and features. Also, there are some levels that aren't in Monsho no Nazo.

Gaiden is a perfectly valid entry in the series (back in the NES days where second games in a series always seemed to mix shit up!) but yeah, it's not one of the most loved in the series and perhaps wouldn't count as a classic.

I don't think any of the ones after the original creator left shouldn't count, they're still great and very highly regarded. It feels kinda like saying Metroid should be ignored after the Super Nintendo game because Yokoi wasn't involved.

pierrot wrote:
alienjesus wrote:I still need to beat Final Fantasy II, Final Fantasy VI, Final Fantasy XII and Final Fantasy XIII from the main series. VI is a distinct possibility for next year.

Interesting. II and VI are the only two I haven't beaten from the main series. (Unless XIII-2 and Lightning Returns would fit that classification.) I've played a fair amount of both, and I actually like II, but I think VI is pretty crappy. I'd go for XII instead. (Personally, I like XIII better than VI, too.)

Haha, Final Fantasy opinions are always fun. I'm going to go for VI, precisely because it's the most well thought of game in the series outside of VII. If I'd owned it before now, it would've been on previous lists instead of IV, VIII and IX, but I didn't. I'm not guaranteeing I'll love it (I didn't love VII either) but it is the mopst notable one I've not played.

pierrot wrote:Regarding Kingdom Hearts: I really liked it when I played it around release, but when I played Final Mix about ten years later, I HATED it. However, I think that's somewhat attributable to a greater intolerance of Nomura, that I seem to have developed with age. Still, I do love the 100 Acre Woods.

Yeah, I feel I may have missed the boat on this one by not playing it when I was a teenager, but we'll see!
pierrot
Next-Gen

by pierrot Sun Sep 13, 2015 1:07 pm

I kind of forgot what this thread was, so I wasn't really stating things in terms of classic/not classic. That's my bad.

noiseredux wrote:I hate II so much.

I wouldn't call it a classic, either.

Point taken on Ankoku Ryu. I wasn't saying that Gaiden isn't part of Fire Emblem, or that it's a bad game; only that it shifts the story to a tangentially related location, and makes sweeping changes to the mechanics. Also, by definition, it wouldn't be called "Gaiden" if it were meant to be a continuation in the series established by the first game.

alienjesus wrote:I don't think any of the ones after the original creator left shouldn't count, they're still great and very highly regarded. It feels kinda like saying Metroid should be ignored after the Super Nintendo game because Yokoi wasn't involved.

Well, for Metroid, Yokoi was just the producer. That series never had a consistent director, outside of the Prime games. So, it's not entirely analogous. Regardless, my point wasn't that the Fire Emblems that followed are inherently bad, but that they establish something of a new canon by virtue of the change in staff. So I think it's prudent to keep that in mind, but as it pertains to this topic, I don't feel that the games that followed Thracia are held in quite the same regard outside of the West. (Aside from, possibly, Rekka no Ken.)

alienjesus wrote:Haha, Final Fantasy opinions are always fun. I'm going to go for VI, precisely because it's the most well thought of game in the series outside of VII. If I'd owned it before now, it would've been on previous lists instead of IV, VIII and IX, but I didn't. I'm not guaranteeing I'll love it (I didn't love VII either) but it is the mopst notable one I've not played.

Considering you enjoyed VIII, you'll probably enjoy VI anyway. They both have pretty drab, mediocre aesthetics, hackneyed characters, and stumble into similar plot shenanigans. The main difference I find is that, although I don't care much for either, VIII was a fairly compelling game in terms of mechanics, where VI just isn't. I feel that the wheels come almost completely off during the final stretch of the game; which is where I left it.

I've thought about giving VI another go, but now I feel like my opinion of it would just end up worse, and I would hate it as much/more than Earthbound, Secret of Mana, and Illusion of Gaia.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Sun Sep 13, 2015 1:43 pm

Damn dawg! Do you just dislike Nintendo JRPGs, generally speaking?

pierrot wrote:greater intolerance of Nomura

Now this I can get behind. Probably my least favorite video game / anime artist. Something about his style just infuriates me. I hate those super-clean glossy character designs. And the oversized feet. Good lord.
MrPopo

by MrPopo Sun Sep 13, 2015 1:59 pm

pierrot wrote:I've thought about giving VI another go, but now I feel like my opinion of it would just end up worse, and I would hate it as much/more than Earthbound, Secret of Mana, and Illusion of Gaia.

Are you secretly an alt account for Hobie-wan? Because he also doesn't like good games.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Ack

by Ack Sun Sep 13, 2015 4:58 pm

If he says the SNES port of Pit-Fighter is good, I will ban him.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Sun Sep 13, 2015 5:29 pm

I think pierrot would enjoy The 7th Saga & Mystic Ark.
pierrot
Next-Gen

by pierrot Sun Sep 13, 2015 10:12 pm

BoneSnapDeez wrote:Damn dawg! Do you just dislike Nintendo JRPGs, generally speaking?

Maybe? On the SNES, I like Megami Tensei (from Kyuyaku) OG Dragon Quest, Soul Blader, Tenchi Souzou or Terranigma, Seiken Densetsu 3, and FF V. I don't, personally, think I'm a complete monster--.

I do have Elnard and Mystic Ark. Slightly low priority for me, though.

Ack wrote:If he says the SNES port of Pit-Fighter is good, I will ban him.

"The SNES port of Pit-Fighter is good." Your move. :P

USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST
Return to General Gaming