Summer Games Challenge 2015

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
laurenhiya21
Next-Gen

Re: Summer Games Challenge 2015

Post by laurenhiya21 »

Going through my games for classics is pretty easy when I'm skipping over RPGs haha. Still not really set in stone, but this is what I have so far:

1. Final Fight 2 (SuFami)
2. Silent Hill (PS1)
3. Super Punch-Out!! (Wii VC)
4. Gunstar Heroes (Steam)
5. Golden Axe III (Steam)
6. Super Mario World (SuFami)
7. Yoshi’s Island (SuFami)
8. Klonoa: Door to Phantomille (PSN)
9. Mega Man X (SuFami)

Of course that's assuming I can get my SuFami working, or if I can get an emulator working fine on my laptop. I should be able to get my desktop fixed in August, so I could at least play the Steam ones then, but I don't want to be playing nearly everything in August. I'm also sticking with much shorter games this time (no RPGs) because I'm probably going to be doing a lot of moving and busy work this summer ><;

Oh and I wasn't sure if I should put Contra III or Dino Crisis in the last spot. I would rather have Dino Crisis (for some reason lol) but I'm not sure if it's a classic or not. I don't really know much about it, other than it's apparently Resident Evil w/ dinosaurs...
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

dsheinem wrote:
alienjesus wrote:
BoneSnapDeez wrote:For instance, have you played Metroid on FDS/NES or the arcade Shinobi? I think those would make better picks than the sequels you listed, in all honesty.

Yes, I have.

Bear in mind that I also make my selections from games I actually already own. It's getting harder every year without just choosing 10 RPGs

I'd be curious to hear the argument for why you think Banjo Tooie is a classic. Not saying it isn't...but the series' appeal escapes me (as does that of the system it started on).

Rastan is a little bit of a hard sell, too.

I remember new games from Rare being a massive deal at the time. The magazines in the UK adored them, and at the time of Banjo Tooie's release it was all over the covers. It was pretty hyped at a time when excitement for new N64 games seemed slim. It was one of the most anticipated games that late in the N64 life from my recollection

In addition, it was critically a massive success - Game Rankings puts it as the 8th best rated N64 game of all time, with 91.31%. When the games above are the likes of Mario 64, both Zeldas, Goldeneye and Perfect Dark (and, in fact, Banjo Kazooie) that's some pretty good going. It pips out other classics such as Lylat Wars, Conkers Bad Fur Day, F-Zero X and Paper Mario.

I'm not going to say it's the absolute best choice I could have made, but it still fits. I'd argue that it was easily a more defining game for the N64 than Super Aleste was for the SNES, as well as being regarded as one of the top games in it's genre of 3D platforming in it's era.

On a sort of related note finding games for my list that aren't sequels is getting harder and harder as I play more and more series, often for this list. Sure, there are endless new games to play, but I stillw ant to try and work from the stuff I have, and not run out and buy new ones
CFFJR
Next-Gen

Post by CFFJR »

Heh, I actually came up with a list for this in January this year. I guess I got excitable.

Anyway, my plan was to go all Genesis this time, as there are some famous games for the system that I've spent some time with but never actually beaten.

I imagine the main criticism my list (as it stands) will get is that some of them may be considered cult classics, rather than actual classics. Which is a fair argument I think.

1.Mega Turrican
2.Dynamite Headdy
3.Vectorman
4.Earthworm Jim
5.Ghouls N' Ghosts
6.Toejam & Earl
7.Phantasy Star 4
8.Alien Soldier
9.The Revenge of Shinobi
10.Flashback: The Quest for Identity
GameSack wrote:That's right, only Sega had the skill to make a proper Nintendo game.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Not a bad list. Did you end up finishing Phantasy Star III?

Or The 7th Saga for that matter?

I would know but you don't post often enough. So post more often. You asshole.
CFFJR
Next-Gen

Post by CFFJR »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:Not a bad list. Did you end up finishing Phantasy Star III?

Or The 7th Saga for that matter?

I would know but you don't post often enough. So post more often. You asshole.

Yeeeah...

No, unfortunately I lost my groove with PS3. Haven't touched it since I broke my finger and now I'm afraid to jump back in since its been so damn long. I'm somewhere at the beginning of the third generation, which is stupid as it means I'm probably only a few hours from finishing.

As for 7th Saga, my plan was to resume playing it after PS3, so you see where that went. Which I genuinely feel guilty about because I enjoyed talking to you and Ack about the game. I was excited to continue that and then like an ass I never did.

I will get back to them, I just have to actually sit down and work on PS3, even it means being lost for a while.

I appreciate the asshole comment though (seriously). Makes me feel welcome. :lol:
GameSack wrote:That's right, only Sega had the skill to make a proper Nintendo game.
Ack

Post by Ack »

CFFJR wrote:No, unfortunately I lost my groove with PS3. Haven't touched it since I broke my finger and now I'm afraid to jump back in since its been so damn long. I'm somewhere at the beginning of the third generation, which is stupid as it means I'm probably only a few hours from finishing.

As for 7th Saga, my plan was to resume playing it after PS3, so you see where that went. Which I genuinely feel guilty about because I enjoyed talking to you and Ack about the game. I was excited to continue that and then like an ass I never did.

No worries, chief. I started Breath of Fire II, disliked it, and set it aside for over a year while I played through other stuff, until I finally went back to it late last year. You can get back into PS3. And we're happy to wait to discuss 7th Saga when you're ready to give it a go. Take as long as you need.
nullPointer
128-bit

Post by nullPointer »

dsheinem wrote:
BoneSnapDeez wrote:Oh what the hell now. I don't know whether I should post or wait another month until the "real" thread is created. :lol:
I got 5" of snow yesterday

Almost as if in response to this thread, it snowed here last night as well. It was more of a dusting, and nowhere near 5", but it was enough to cover the ground (and continue to stick). So much for summer dreams. :|

Still looking forward to playing some classic games once we finally do get there though!
CFFJR
Next-Gen

Post by CFFJR »

Ack wrote:No worries, chief. I started Breath of Fire II, disliked it, and set it aside for over a year while I played through other stuff, until I finally went back to it late last year. You can get back into PS3. And we're happy to wait to discuss 7th Saga when you're ready to give it a go. Take as long as you need.

A couple of months sounds a lot more doable from that perspective! I'll keep it in mind when I finally power the game up again.

Thanks dude! Hopefully it won't be too long.
Ack

Post by Ack »

I did actually create this as a joke, but since people are using it, I guess I'll keep it around for now and throw out some ideas for what I may play.

I'm thinking of doing five mains and five alternates again, mostly on PC this year. I pretty much flaked last year after getting through Daikatana, so I want to include a few games that really interest me as opposed to just "classics" that I normally would not have gone for. Right now I'm thinking more on PC games, but you'll see some others thrown in there.

There are a bunch of ideas I am kicking around, so I figure I'll just shoot them on out like a shotgun blast and see if there are any that you guys think ought to be immediately struck from consideration. There are 20 games here to consider and discuss:

Ultima
Blood
Super Mario Bros 2: The Lost Levels
Descent 1, 2, or 3
7th Guest
Mortal Kombat 2
Loom
Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis
Flight of the Amazon Queen
Top Gear
Dragonsphere
Sanitarium
Thief 2
System Shock 2
Quake 2 Mission Packs: The Reckoning/Ground Zero
Castlevania: Dracula X
Final Fantasy V

I also considered making a joke list yesterday but didn't go through with it. Here is the joke list of 10:
Bubsy
Michael Jordan: Chaos in the Windy City
Dragon's Lair (SNES)
Barbie Super Model
Pac-Man 2: The New Adventures
Bulls vs Blazers and the NBA Playoffs
Tetris 2
Ultima IX
Wizardry V
Samurai Legend Musashi
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

Those are all solid games, but do you know what else is a solid game?

Pac-Man 2: The New Adventures

It is easily the best console point-and-click adventure game of its generation (and I really enjoyed it).