Summer Games Challenge 2015

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Ack

Re: Summer Games Challenge 2015

Post by Ack »

noiseredux wrote:Neverhood - is a possibility. I'll research it a bit more.

Deus Ex - Already got COD (only 1 game per genre). Plus, Deus Ex is like a 25 hr game.

Mechwarrior 2 - was a thought... would you call it a FPS though?

I could swap in 7th Guest or Neverhood instead of KQ7/Willy Beamish? What say ye, Adventure Fans?

MechWarrior is a mech game. It has similarities with a first person shooter, but I consider them a hybrid between FPS and vehicular combat games.

Neverhood is a definite classic and a technical marvel, as is 7th Guest. I also have The 7th Guest on my list to play this year.
isiolia
Next-Gen

Post by isiolia »

noiseredux wrote:Deus Ex - Already got COD (only 1 game per genre). Plus, Deus Ex is like a 25 hr game.

Mechwarrior 2 - was a thought... would you call it a FPS though?

Deus Ex is only in the same very broad category as CoD, as it's got a good bit of RPG going on too...but, yeah, it's longer than you're looking for.

Mechwarrior 2 is not an FPS. It's, I dunno, action sim? Like X-Wing or Ace Combat.
Key-Glyph
Next-Gen

Post by Key-Glyph »

noiseredux wrote:I could swap in 7th Guest or Neverhood instead of KQ7/Willy Beamish? What say ye, Adventure Fans?
I want you to play 7th Guest so I can live vicariously through your experience. :mrgreen:

/selfish

BogusMeatFactory wrote:If I could powder my copies of shenmue and snort them I would
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

I feel like 7th Guest is getting a lot of push as far as adventure games go from y'all. Plus, I have the big box version. So yeah.

Bonk's Adventure
Call Of Duty
Diablo
Earthworm Jim
Final Fantasy IV
King Of Fighters 2002
7th Guest
Vigilante (?)

Looking better? I still need more games. I'm not sure about Mechwarrior 2. Might be a little longer than I'm looking for, and already tentatively acquiesced to Diablo.

Y'all seem pretty 50/50 on Vigilante. How's this for a consideration: will I enjoy playing it?

Please also keep in mind when suggesting classics/cult-classics under 10 hrs with DOS/Win/Droid ports... it's ok if I don't currently own them. That helps, but not necessary.
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

noiseredux wrote:Please also keep in mind when suggesting classics/cult-classics under 10 hrs with DOS/Win/Droid ports... it's ok if I don't currently own them. That helps, but not necessary.

I think you should just buy my box of mystery pc games. Itll give you your Summer Challenge for the next couple decades.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

fastbilly1 wrote:I think you should just buy my box of mystery pc games.

what percentage of them are disc-only?
Ack

Post by Ack »

noiseredux wrote:Please also keep in mind when suggesting classics/cult-classics under 10 hrs with DOS/Win/Droid ports... it's ok if I don't currently own them. That helps, but not necessary.

In that case, why not pick up the Catacombs pack on GOG and try the first game? It's $5.99 for the whole pack, and the original Catacomb is a 10 level long top down shooter that can be knocked out in an evening quite easily. Heck, you can take it down in like 10 minutes if you know what you're doing. Plus, then you have like six more games to play at your leisure.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

is Catacombs some kind of classic? To be totally honest, I had never heard of it until you started to posting about those games in the Games Beaten thread. :lol:

I'm def trying to make it 10 games that I'm like excited to be finally giving a shot. I know I'm making this pretty difficult w/ my rules, it's just that I'm hoping to give myself a fighting chance to beat my 4/10 record.
Ack

Post by Ack »

noiseredux wrote:is Catacombs some kind of classic? To be totally honest, I had never heard of it until you started to posting about those games in the Games Beaten thread. :lol:

It's one of the first games that John Carmack ever developed commercially, and it set the ground rules for what would eventually become FPS gameplay. Basically, if you have played an FPS post 1990, you've played something that was influenced by the design of Catacomb. I think of the series now as a lost classic which had incredible influence over games like Wolfenstein 3D.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

^interesting. I'll look more into it...

What does everyone think about:

Bloodrayne?
Wacky Wheels?