Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Blu
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2015

by Blu Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:45 am

1. Super Smash Brothers - N64 (January 3)
2. Shovel Knight - Wii U (January 6)
3. NES Remix - Wii U (January 14)
4. NES Remix 2 - Wii U (January 14)
5. Streets of Rage - Genesis (January 16)
6. F-Zero - SNES (January 21)
7. Super Mario 3D World - Wii U (January 28)
8. Hyrule Warriors - Wii U (February 5)
9. Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D - 3DS (February 23)
10. Double Dragon Neon - PC (March 1)
11. Mario Kart 8 - Wii U (March 3)
12. Hotline Miami - PS3 (March 14)
13. Pokemon White - Nintendo DS (March 17)

Hotline Miami was a decent game, in my opinion not necessarily mind blowing or truly innovative. But it was good. I don't know that I'm sold on the prospect of the sequel unless it truly does something ground breaking. The game was difficult enough and felt more of trial and error. Its aiming scheme takes something to truly get used to and there's still a degree of luck to it. I'd say it's worth giving a shot. 7/10

Pokemon White - 1CC Clear, No Blackouts. This might have been the best Pokémon game I've played on the DS. I haven't really played through Soul Silver, which I was holding off on until I beat this one. I really enjoyed the new features to White, liked that Team Plasma as a plot was better than the usual Team Rocket, Team Galactic, etc. I'd definitely go through Black 2 / White 2 sometime in the near future. Most of the Pokémon are decent in terms of design, some feel like they're really scraping the bottom of the bucket. All that aside, it was an enjoyable and memorable experience. 9/10
Blu
Next-Gen

by Blu Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:49 am

MrPopo wrote:I was waiting for the oven to preheat over the weekend (and then for the food to finish baking) so I popped this in to my NES which is in my bedroom, while everything else is in the media room a flight below the kitchen....

What were you cooking? Did you have a moment of negligence where you felt like you were going to inadvertently burn down your house? I hope you were able to beat the game, and then beat down the rising flames. Good job on your victory!
MrPopo

by MrPopo Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:58 am

I was heating up some cheese bread bites I got from the grocery store.
Games Beaten: 2015 2016 2017 2018
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Stark
Next-Gen

by Stark Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:25 pm

Games Beaten in 2012 = 32
Games Beaten in 2013 = 34
Games Beaten in 2014 = 30
1/31 Infamous: First Light (PS4)
2/23 Sepulchre (PC)

Games Beaten = 2

3/12 Life is Strange: Episode 1 - Chrysalis (XB1)
Life is Strange is an episodic, narrative game, very much in the style of the recent Telltale games. The art style is less comic book-y than the TT games though and I found it really striking. The story revolves around a young lady, Max, who has come back to her home town after being away awhile, to go to a private school with a good photography teacher. I think it is from a pre-college level, but I'm not entirely sure. Like the TT games, when you do certain narrative actions you will be told "this has consequences" or "he/she will remember this." Where this differs however is that the main character finds she has a special ability to rewind time. So something that you'd have to "save scum" to do in the TT games, they let you do as a mechanic. Didn't like that outcome? Re-do it. Re-did it and you liked the first way better? Do it again! The nice thing about this, is redoing sections is made easy with a few button presses and skipping over sections that are unchanged is a snap, making retrying sections something you'd actually do.

The voice acting is very good, but the dialogue writing is a little stilted at times. I'm not sure if that's a language barrier thing or gendered or what, but some of the things the girls say, just don't feel natural. In some spots I wonder if the VA wasn't like, "you want me to say what?" Maybe in subsequent episodes the VAs will feel more comfortable to call that stuff out. Overall though, I'm quite intrigued with where things are headed, several storylines have started and I'm interested in each of them and where it's headed.

3/17 Adventure (1978) (AVCS, Emulated)
Starting the A-Z, starting with year of birth, challenge. Seems like the year this came out is fuzzy, so I'm fudging and taking it for '78. ;)

Adventure is, well, an adventure game. It feels like the beginnings of what that genre would come to mean. You have one inventory slot and lots of key+door and dragon+spear combinations to figure out. Controls are rudimentary, but I can't help admire with how you're eased into the game. There are 3 games and the first one is very easy, introducing to you the basics of how the game works. Run into items to pick them up, one item at a time colored keys open the same color castle, and most importantly how to finish the game (I'll leave that to the reader to figure out). Then when you start the second game, it introduces additional game concepts like a magnet and bridge and a bat that steals items. Great game, interesting to see ideas in the early years, like: a maze that you can only see the walls for around your guy. One parting thought: the bat is a right bastard. Onwards to B and 1979!
Let strength be granted, so the world might be mended...so the world might be mended.
Luke
Next-Gen

by Luke Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:27 pm

MrPopo wrote:Second Dracula nailed me the first couple times, but the third time I approached it a little more methodically. Throw holy water, a couple of whips and back off so he doesn't jump in my face, if he hasn't jumped by the time the water is finished throw another and repeat, if he has wait for him to land and water.

Never been lucky enough to have a special weapon against that fiend. Just the whip.

"Just The Whip" would make for an awesome band name.
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

by BogusMeatFactory Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:28 pm

Blu wrote:Hotline Miami was a decent game, in my opinion not necessarily mind blowing or truly innovative. But it was good. I don't know that I'm sold on the prospect of the sequel unless it truly does something ground breaking. The game was difficult enough and felt more of trial and error. Its aiming scheme takes something to truly get used to and there's still a degree of luck to it. I'd say it's worth giving a shot. 7/10

That is exactly how I felt about the game. It was fun and all, but really wasn't as special an experience for me as it was for many others. I still very much enjoyed the game and am grateful to have played it and experienced it, but a lot of people really did overhype the game.
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
mjmjr25

by mjmjr25 Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:32 pm

Blu wrote:Pokemon White - 1CC Clear, No Blackouts.

yr cute.
MrPopo

by MrPopo Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:40 pm

Luke wrote:
MrPopo wrote:Second Dracula nailed me the first couple times, but the third time I approached it a little more methodically. Throw holy water, a couple of whips and back off so he doesn't jump in my face, if he hasn't jumped by the time the water is finished throw another and repeat, if he has wait for him to land and water.

Never been lucky enough to have a special weapon against that fiend. Just the whip.

But... there's a cross right outside his room and a holy water inside his room.
Games Beaten: 2015 2016 2017 2018
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:19 pm

1. Grandia (PlayStation)
2. Jungle Hunt (Xbox - Taito Legends)
3. Jungle Hunt (Atari 2600)
4. Jungle Hunt (Plug & Play - ColecoVision Flashback)
5. Donkey Kong (Atari 2600)
6. Donkey Kong (Intellivision)
7. Donkey Kong (ColecoVision)
8. Bubble Bobble (NES)
9. Side Arms: Hyper Dyne (PSP - Capcom Classics Collection Remixed)
10. 1941: Counter Attack (PSP - Capcom Classics Collection Remixed)
11. Ys: The Ark of Napishtim (PSP)
12. The Ninja Kids (Xbox - Taito Legends)
13. Neutopia (TurboGrafx-16)
14. Golden Axe Warrior (Xbox 360 - Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection)
15. Phantasy Star Online Ver. 2 (Dreamcast)
16. Growl (PlayStation 2 - Taito Legends 2)
17. Arabian Magic (PlayStation 2 - Taito Legends 2)
18. Dungeon Magic (PlayStation 2 - Taito Legends 2)
19. Gekirindan (PlayStation 2 - Taito Legends 2)
20. Ys II (Saturn - Falcom Classics II)
21. Darius Gaiden (PlayStation 2 - Taito Legends 2)
22. G Darius (PlayStation 2 - Taito Legends 2)
23. Giana Sisters DS (DS)
24. RayStorm (PlayStation 2 - Taito Legends 2)
25. Mr. Do! (ColecoVision)
26. Beauty & the Beast (Intellivision)
27. Boxing (PlayStation 2 - Activision Anthology)
28. Crystalis (NES)
29. Dragon Warrior (NES)
30. Faxanadu (NES)
31. Tombs & Treasure (NES)
32. Kirby's Dream Land (Game Boy)

I FRIGGIN LOVE KIRBY.

He's so lovable and huggable and chuggable.

Beautiful game. The graphics are like the wallpaper of a baby's room. The music is like the sound of chickadees on a midsummer's morning.

Programming done by "Sunday Rain." How precious is that?

Play this or die.
Blu
Next-Gen

by Blu Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:27 pm

BoneSnapDeez wrote:I FRIGGIN LOVE KIRBY.
He's so lovable and huggable and chuggable.

Off to a good start here.
Beautiful game. The graphics are like the wallpaper of a baby's room. The music is like the sound of chickadees on a midsummer's morning.

Chickadees? Sign me up!
Play this or die.

Whoa, this took a dire turn. :shock:
Return to General Gaming