Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2015

by dsheinem Sat Mar 14, 2015 10:10 am

bmoc: What games would you compare Ori to? Is it a collect-a-thon like the Rayman games where you need X number of doodads to advance to the next level? Is it a puzzle platform like Limbo, Braid, etc.? Is it more of a Metroid-style game where you shoot stuff? Can you say a bit more...?
MrPopo

by MrPopo Sat Mar 14, 2015 10:42 am

Also, how necessary do you feel it is to be using a controller? For example, I think trying to play Super Metroid with a keyboard is going to feel terrible, but I was able to do Limbo with my keyboard just fine. That's going to inform whether I get the Steam version or the Xbox One version.
Games Beaten: 2015 2016 2017 2018
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
bmoc
Next-Gen

by bmoc Sat Mar 14, 2015 11:11 am

dsheinem wrote:bmoc: What games would you compare Ori to? Is it a collect-a-thon like the Rayman games where you need X number of doodads to advance to the next level? Is it a puzzle platform like Limbo, Braid, etc.? Is it more of a Metroid-style game where you shoot stuff? Can you say a bit more...?

Definitely more Metroid than Rayman. Shooting is the primary way you defeat enemies but you don't have to aim much. Your projectiles seek out the closest enemy. There are some puzzles as well. I found them easy to solve but fun to complete.

So I'd say it is a Metroidvania type game with minor collecting, puzzle, and RPG elements. Progression is limited by the discovery of key items or abilities rather than how many doodads you collect.
bmoc
Next-Gen

by bmoc Sat Mar 14, 2015 11:15 am

MrPopo wrote:Also, how necessary do you feel it is to be using a controller? For example, I think trying to play Super Metroid with a keyboard is going to feel terrible, but I was able to do Limbo with my keyboard just fine. That's going to inform whether I get the Steam version or the Xbox One version.

I would have a very difficult time playing this on a keyboard. It requires a great deal of precision. Keep in mind that Xbox One controllers can be used on a PC so either platform should work for you.
MrPopo

by MrPopo Sat Mar 14, 2015 11:24 am

bmoc wrote:
MrPopo wrote:Also, how necessary do you feel it is to be using a controller? For example, I think trying to play Super Metroid with a keyboard is going to feel terrible, but I was able to do Limbo with my keyboard just fine. That's going to inform whether I get the Steam version or the Xbox One version.

I would have a very difficult time playing this on a keyboard. It requires a great deal of precision. Keep in mind that Xbox One controllers can be used on a PC so either platform should work for you.

I don't actually have a wired controller other than my arcade sticks, so looks like I'll be picking this up on my Xbox.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Sat Mar 14, 2015 11:39 am

MrPopo wrote:I don't actually have a wired controller other than my arcade sticks, so looks like I'll be picking this up on my Xbox.

but you have an Xbox One controller...?
MrPopo

by MrPopo Sat Mar 14, 2015 12:44 pm

noiseredux wrote:
MrPopo wrote:I don't actually have a wired controller other than my arcade sticks, so looks like I'll be picking this up on my Xbox.

but you have an Xbox One controller...?

Does the charging cable actually work as a data transfer cable as well?

Regardless, I shall not sully my PC with dual analog control.
Hobie-wan
Next-Gen

by Hobie-wan Sat Mar 14, 2015 5:24 pm

MrPopo wrote:Regardless, I shall not sully my PC with dual analog control.

You're not playing Isaac, Beat Hazard, or any other Robotron like games? I mean sure don't try to play a FPS/TPS with them, but they do have their uses.
MrPopo

by MrPopo Sat Mar 14, 2015 5:54 pm

You've got a point when it comes to the Robotron twin stick games, but I don't have any of those on Steam. I'm not a huge fan of the genre.
Hobie-wan
Next-Gen

by Hobie-wan Sat Mar 14, 2015 6:40 pm

MrPopo wrote:You've got a point when it comes to the Robotron twin stick games, but I don't have any of those on Steam. I'm not a huge fan of the genre.

I see you have, but haven't started Isaac. Get thee a Joy to Key program and get going. :)
Return to General Gaming