Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Sarge
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2015

by Sarge Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:34 am

Excellent review, Exhuminator! It's certainly one of the most technically-accomplished games on the NES. Compile knew their stuff. Perhaps Recca is more impressive from a technical aspect, but that also came four years later!

Man, you've got me wanting to play through it again now. :)
Hardcore Retro Gaming - Talk about games ten years old or older. Now with a modern gaming section!
“History isn't just the story of bad people doing bad things. It's quite as much a story of people trying to do good things. But somehow, something goes wrong.” -- C.S. Lewis
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:57 am

It really is an amazing game. The last boss had me frazzled for a minute, then I figured out its secret and took it down easily. Every time I thought I was going to lose my mind on one of these bosses I eventually found the right weapon and things got exponentially easier. Funny thing is I rented this game as kid back in 1990 and got nowhere in it. All it took was 25 years for me to realize it's great. :lol:
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Sarge
Next-Gen

by Sarge Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:26 pm

Ziggy587 wrote:I knew going in that you can't throw enemies at the screen, but that you still could grab foot soldiers by the arm and slam them back and forth. However, that move is hard to pull off. In Turtles in Time, you can just about do it whenever you feel like it (it's a great move to clear out enemies if your becoming surrounded). In Hyperstone Heist, it just seems to happen sometimes if you're close to an enemy and mash the A button.

I meant to hit on this earlier, but it's actually pretty easy to consistently pull the thrash move if you use the dashing tackle move to hit an enemy, let off the d-pad when you hit, then smash the A button. That's pretty much how I go through the entire game. :)

You're right, though, if you're trying to pull the move without doing that, the spacing required is pretty tight, so it appears almost totally random.

Exhuminator wrote:It really is an amazing game. The last boss had me frazzled for a minute, then I figured out its secret and took it down easily. Every time I thought I was going to lose my mind on one of these bosses I eventually found the right weapon and things got exponentially easier. Funny thing is I rented this game as kid back in 1990 and got nowhere in it. All it took was 25 years for me to realize it's great. :lol:

Ha, yeah! I mean, there are games I'm revisiting that I hated, too, and now I appreciate them a lot more. Street Fighter 2010 was one that I thought was hot garbage, and maybe it is, but it's a lot better than I'd given it credit for.

(You probably used the Fireball, didn't you? That's the one I always use.)
Hardcore Retro Gaming - Talk about games ten years old or older. Now with a modern gaming section!
“History isn't just the story of bad people doing bad things. It's quite as much a story of people trying to do good things. But somehow, something goes wrong.” -- C.S. Lewis
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:43 pm

Sarge wrote:That's the one I always use.)

To kill the last boss I flew straight up to its face and blasted away with my main cannon, then repeatedly used the energy eraser to destroy the acid bubbles and fighter jets it shoots out at you. The bubbles and jets often left behind item capsules with health restoratives so I would fly over and grab those as they appeared. I tried the fireball at first, but that puts you down low enough for the boss to hit you with its arms of doom, so I gave up on that. Having to redo the boss rush every time you failed at the final boss was a pain in the ass though.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Sarge
Next-Gen

by Sarge Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:01 pm

I completely forgot to mention that I played through Justice League: Task Force for SNES. I used Wonder Woman, and pretty much threw everything into oblivion. The AI tactics are crazy cheap in the game, so turnabout is fair play.

Folks might also recognize that this was a Blizzard game. Well, apparently co-developed with Sunsoft. Anyway, glad they got out of the fighting game business. ;)
Hobie-wan
Next-Gen

by Hobie-wan Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:03 pm

Exhuminator wrote:It's hard for me to find fault with this game honestly, outside occasional difficulty spikes The Guardian Legend is exceptionally well made for its era. (Honestly this is one of the most impressively programmed NES games I've ever played.)

Compile really knew their way around the NES. Zanac is a really early game and there's no slowdown despite how nutty the screen gets clogged up sometimes. Likewise on the SNES, Space Megaforce is bonkers with action sometimes, but you don't see it chugging like other smhups that get busy.
Sarge
Next-Gen

by Sarge Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:40 pm

I'm going to call Fester's Quest legit beaten.

I used some lunch break and made progress, and just got a chance to wrap it up. I used some turbo to save my poor thumbs early on, then blasted through the entire UFO with the normal complement of items and no turbo. The nooses did indeed help a ton.

As for the final boss, I tried to take him down without "knowledge" of the safe spot. Got down to a few blocks of health, backed off to it, and used two missiles to finish it off. Curious, of course, I went back to see a more efficient way. The safe spot is actually probably the easiest (I mean, ridiculously so), and using a flame whip + missiles up close might be the fastest, as long as you keep your health up and/or use invisibility. I guess my point is, as long as you have your optional weapons, it's just a battle of attrition.

I'd almost lean towards calling it a good game. Flawed, but good. I actually like the feel of the combat a bit more than the overhead sections of Blaster Master. Everything just feels a lot more solid. That a single hit doesn't drop your gun or whip levels is also a plus, and even a game over doesn't rob you of your power-ups, instead sending you back to the very start (doh!). Not sure if you have to rebeat the bosses again if that happens, though. Anyone else know?

EDIT: I should probably add one more thing. This is a game that is much easier if you do your grinding early. Always keep your gun and whip maxed out. If you lose a level by picking up the wrong icon, find some easy-ish enemies and get it back. A couple of bosses in particular are easiest to take out with a flame whip and invisibility potions.
Luke
Next-Gen

by Luke Thu Mar 12, 2015 6:13 pm

Sarge wrote: That a single hit doesn't drop your gun or whip levels is also a plus

It doesn't?

Well slap my ass and call me Charlie. I've beaten this game every year, since the game was released and thought it had the same BM weapon design.

Jesus. To think of all the years of time I have spent shooting slime in the sewers...

S'all good. Fester's has some of the best video game music if the 8-bit era, and I'll never forget when I bought the game: A guy at EB told me "If you buy this, buy a few more controllers too. You'll be throwing them a lot".
Sarge
Next-Gen

by Sarge Thu Mar 12, 2015 6:34 pm

Yeah, that's how I remembered it, and was pleasantly surprised when it wasn't. Instead, now you have blue and red powerup icons. Snag a blue one and the level goes up. Red, down. Makes using the whip a little dangerous, as it will snag power ups.

I was really shocked to see it retain levels upon a game over. I'd be ecstatic if Blaster Master used the power up system employed here. :)

EDIT: Oh, and the red powerups get ridiculously common at the higher gun levels. It's crazy. A lot of the challenge is just staying on your guard about not collecting the wrong stuff. The whip isn't so bad because it's only got four levels in the first place. The gun has eight, and I suspect the drop rate is directly based on how many levels you currently have in a weapon.
Luke
Next-Gen

by Luke Thu Mar 12, 2015 6:44 pm

Sarge wrote:I was really shocked to see it retain levels upon a game over. I'd be ecstatic if Blaster Master used the power up system employed here. :)

Different strokes, as that sound of getting hit and seeing your gun also drop is part of the soundtrack of my life.

As far as "Grenade" to "Whip" I love how both weapons, on different games, feel like your last option. They're like the knife of actual confrontation. When the gun is out of ammo, get close, get personal.

That said, a flaming whip is a lot cooler than a knife.
Return to General Gaming