Re: Games Beaten 2015

by BogusMeatFactory Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:55 pm

1. Jazzpunk (PC)
2. Grand Theft Auto: Vice City (PS2)
3. Grandia (PS1)
4. Hotline Miami (PC)
5. Luigi’s Mansion: Dark Moon (3DS)
6. Off-Peak (PC)

Off-Peak - What a strange, yet enchanting little game. In it, you play as a normal citizen living in a strange, dystopia attempting to get a ticket to ride on a train. To do so you must gather pieces of a ripped up ticket, left behind by a vagrant steel guitar player. The game is all about the train station itself, which is a weird amalgamation of art styles. Here, citizens play games, eat food and talk without end about this mysterious circus, which you see advertisements for everywhere. There is also this commentary on the role of music and art as even though they both play heavy roles in the atmosphere in the world, people elude to the fact that musicians and artists really don't exist anymore and that these art and music are artifacts.

The game itself is very short, taking maybe an hour, but the devil is in the details. There is so much to see and take in as the art of the train station is mesmerizing and abstract and the characters within are just as mesmerizing and abstract. The game is free and can be found Here and anyone interested in great music mixed with a strange atmosphere should check it out.

JT, I think you would find it very interesting.
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

by dsheinem Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:11 pm

Games Beaten 2015

Theatrhythm Final Fantasy: Curtain Call - 3DS
A Bird Story - PC
Quake - PC
Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare - PS4
Quake: Scourge of Armagon - PC
Quake: Dissolution of Eternity - PC
Mario vs. Donkey Kong 2: March of the Minis - NDS
Painkiller - PC
Gungrave: Overdose - PS2
Adventure -Atari 2600 (PS2)
Auto Racing - Intellivision (PS2) [1979]
Boxing - Atari 2600 (PS2) [1980]
The Count - TI99/4A (emulated) [1981]
Dragonstomper - Atari 2600/Starpath Supercharger (emulated) [1982]
Enduro - Atari 2600 (PS2) [1983]
Diablo III - PS4
Front Line - Atari 2600 (emulated) [1984]
Gertie Goose - The Lost Eggs - C64 (emulated) [1985]
Ocean Commander - Wii
Mortal Kombat: Deadly Alliance - PS2
Diablo III: Reaper of Souls - PS4
Mortal Kombat: Deception - PS2
The Order: 1886 - PS4
The Uncle Who Works for Nintendo - PC
Grab Them By The Eyes - PC
Growl - PS2/Arcade
Hydlide - NES [1986]
Ikari Warriors - NES [1987]
Jonah Barrington's Squash - C64 (emulated) [1988]
Steel Diver - 3DS
Super Mario 3D World - - Wii U *new*

Total: 31

Previously: 2014 | The First 400 Games

I am really not sure what to make of Super Mario 3D World. On the one hand, it is glorious to finally see this universe in a fully HD, fully 3D title and, as would be expected, everything controls and sounds great. There's really no fault to find with the game: it does exactly what it sets out to do and is highly polished and entertaining.

It is also exasperatingly familiar. While there are a few small new ideas, they are used sparingly. There's nothing here like the coin-focused dynamics of New Super Mario Bros 2 on the 3DS, nothing as innovative or interesting as the Wiimote integration and bite-sized, space-themed worlds of the Super Mario Galaxy games, and nothing as relevant to modern game design as the well-implemented network play in Mario Kart 8. In other words, even though Super Mario 3D World is a very good, very competent game, it is also a very boring outing from a series that has seen a surprising amount of innovation in the last decade.

I do like the kitteh powers and the multi-mario levels, I do like the challenge stages and the (far too easy) boss battles, and I do like the accessibility of everything...even the last few worlds are pretty easy compared to some past outings. It is a relaxing, comfort-food style game. I was just hoping for something more, and would rank this Mario game only above New Super Mario Bros. Wii U in terms of top titles of the past ~10-15 years in the series.

But it looks great.
SamuraiMegas
Next-Gen

by SamuraiMegas Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:38 pm

Used it on all levels I could, it doesn't help.
Hobie-wan wrote:Milk the banana for all it's worth.

My BST Thread
This account isn't used much anymore. You can find me on reddit and steam @ SamuraiMegas as well.
J T
Next-Gen

by J T Fri Mar 06, 2015 2:21 am

BogusMeatFactory wrote:6. Off-Peak (PC)
JT, I think you would find it very interesting.

Sweet! It sounds pretty cool. I'm downloading it now.
My contributions to the Racketboy site:
Browser Games ... Free PC Games ... Mixtapes ... Doujin Games ... SotC Poetry
Ack

by Ack Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:39 am

SamuraiMegas wrote:Used it on all levels I could, it doesn't help.

You just gotta get faster then I guess. Is it the first or the second floor that is giving you more trouble?
I have a movie review website now: https://moviereviewsbyamook.com/
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Fri Mar 06, 2015 12:08 pm

dsheinem wrote:Super Mario 3D World Wii U

I really enjoyed the game, and I can't disagree with anything in your review.

Did you try playing it with your son, however? I played a few of the early levels with my daughter, and she literally squealed with delight. (It was also the first game she wanted to play by herself, and I was shocked at how far she could make it in some of the levels unassisted.) Accordingly - and while the game certainly feels familiar to seasoned players like you and me - playing with my daughter allowed me to appreciate how much the game appeals to new players.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Fri Mar 06, 2015 3:32 pm

1. Devil's Attorney (Android) (strategy) (good game)
2. Resident Evil 5 (360) (cover shooter) (good game)
3. Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed (360) (kart racer) (good game)
4. Dragon Quest VIII (PS2) (JRPG) (amazing game)
5. Gears of War (360) (cover shooter) (decent game)
6. Uncharted: Golden Abyss (Vita) (cover shooter/platformer) (decent game)
7. Orcs & Elves (DS) (turn based dugeon crawler) (good game)
8. From The Abyss (DS) (action-RPG) (decent game)
9. Army of Two (360) (cover shooter) (decent game)
10. Psychic World (Master System) (platformer) (subpar game)
11. Endless Ocean: Blue World (Wii) (adventure/simulation) (amazing game)
12. Journey to Silius (NES) (platformer) (decent game)
13. Sword Master (NES) (platformer) (subpar game)
14. Project: Snowblind (PC) (FPS) (good game)
15. Yakyuuken Part II - Gal's Dungeon (Famicom) (maze puzzle) (decent game)
This game consists of the player being a detective in search of someone's lost granddaughter. The detective as such makes his way through a series of mazes put in place by an evil bad guy. The mazes connect to each other via a series of locked doors. The player finds the keys to these doors by seeking out a scantily clad woman hiding in each maze. Once found the player must beat her at rock, paper, scissors while she lies in front of him in risque poses. (There are different women in each maze.) If the player is successful they are rewarded with the key to the next maze, putting them closer to rescuing the granddaughter. Every so often the player is shown a fully nude image of a woman whom they beat at rock, paper, scissors. Well the gameplay may be entirely sexist but there's nice music and funny dialogue within, and even a twist ending. (Note this game is available in English via a fan translation.)
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

by dsheinem Fri Mar 06, 2015 3:44 pm

prfsnl_gmr wrote:
dsheinem wrote:Super Mario 3D World Wii U

I really enjoyed the game, and I can't disagree with anything in your review.

Did you try playing it with your son, however? I played a few of the early levels with my daughter, and she literally squealed with delight. (It was also the first game she wanted to play by herself, and I was shocked at how far she could make it in some of the levels unassisted.) Accordingly - and while the game certainly feels familiar to seasoned players like you and me - playing with my daughter allowed me to appreciate how much the game appeals to new players.

I played the whole thing while my son watched and helped me spot things, but he "bought" it for me for my birthday and wanted me to play before he did. He's playing it now and can take down some levels like a champ.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Fri Mar 06, 2015 4:25 pm

dsheinem wrote:He's playing it now and can take down some levels like a champ.

Nice. My daughter: (1) always chooses Princess Peach (and, in doing so, demonstrates why it is important for Nintendo to include playable female characters in its games); (2) moves slowly; (3) turns at 90 degree angles; but (4) was able to make it to the first castle unassisted(!). She needed some help with that one, but she was also able to take down a few levels in the second world without my help. (In my book, that's not too shabby for a six-year-old girl who has never played a video game before.)

Currently, we are playing Child of Light on the WiiU, and the co-op in that is a lot of fun for her. The game is certainly above her level, but she loves the characters and the aestetics. Plus, she is actually quite helpful in efficiently disposing of the game's enemies. Accordingly, if you are looking for a short, fun RPG to play with your son, I highly recommend Child of Light. (With your appetite for games, however, I suspect you may have already played through it. :lol: )
dsheinem
Next-Gen

by dsheinem Fri Mar 06, 2015 4:29 pm

prfsnl_gmr wrote:
dsheinem wrote:He's playing it now and can take down some levels like a champ.

Nice. My daughter: (1) always chooses Princess Peach (and, in doing so, demonstrates why it is important for Nintendo to include playable female characters in its games); (2) moves slowly; (3) turns at 90 degree angles; but (4) was able to make it to the first castle unassisted(!). She needed some help with that one, but she was also able to take down a few levels in the second world without my help. (In my book, that's not too shabby for a six-year-old girl who has never played a video game before.)

Currently, we are playing Child of Light on the WiiU, and the co-op in that is a lot of fun for her. The game is certainly above her level, but she loves the characters and the aestetics. Plus, she is actually quite helpful in efficiently disposing of the game's enemies. Accordingly, if you are looking for a short, fun RPG to play with your son, I highly recommend Child of Light. (With your appetite for games, however, I suspect you may have already played through it. :lol: )

I started and then "discarded" CoL when it released, but maybe I'll give kindergardener co-op mode a go.
Return to General Gaming