Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2015

by BoneSnapDeez Thu Feb 12, 2015 1:30 am

Key-Glyph wrote:I'm going to guess that the SNES controller has you switch among the Vikings with the shoulder buttons?

Yeah nice and smooth.

I'm tempted to pick up the Amiga CD32 port because that controller is similar to the SNES (minus the select button). Lost Vikings is on GBA too - haven't played that one either!
Sarge
Next-Gen

by Sarge Thu Feb 12, 2015 1:31 pm

So I haven't had a ton of time, but I went through Aladdin on SNES last night. Strangely enough, I'm not sure I ever completely beat the game. I actually prefer it quite a bit to the Genesis version. I mean, the Genny version is fine, and it definitely looks better (quite the inversion from the norm!), but the SNES version still looks nice, and I really like the arcade-style Prince of Persia combined with Mario hop-'n'-bop.

I think my barrier back in the day was obsessing over the red gems. I'd always miss a few, and it'd drive me crazy. This time, I just kept rolling. Got a lot, but not nearly all.
c0wb0y
24-bit

by c0wb0y Thu Feb 12, 2015 3:21 pm

This may be the only time I post to this thread since I rarely complete games. :|

Lego Marvel on the 360
I generally like Lego games - been playing them since the Star Wars games. I've been playing with Lego blocks since 1980. Being a huge comics reader when I was a teen, it was a given I would own this game eventually. My parents gifted it to me this past Christmas (and true to parental form, they bought me the XBOX One version - a system which I don't own. But hey, they tried! :) )
This game did an excellent job of fan-service. I mean I love all the appearances and obscure references. This one was the first to have the open world with quests that I've played. It gives you more to do once you complete the story - which I like.

So I've been fighting a cold this week and I missed two days of work. I made the most of my time and decided to complete the story mode of Lego Marvel. I'd already played through the first 13 levels so not much was left to finish. The levels get a bit repetitive, but overall I really enjoyed it due to the Marvel characters and humor.

At this point I'll likely collect some more characters from the open world, and see what else it has to offer.

After that, I'll likely eventually complete the achievements on Minecraft - that's been the other game holding my interest lately. Not sure you can call it a "Game Beaten" but I'll add it if I can ever finish building my 500 meter rail track, and befriend a 5th wolf.
Systems: Pong, Odyssey2, Atari 2600, NES, CDX, SNES, N64, Saturn, DC, PS1, PS2, PS3, Xbox, GCN, Wii, Xbox360, OUYA
Handhelds: GB, GBC, GBA, DS lite, DSi, Virtual Boy (<< is that even a portable?)
EM Pinballs: Bally Dixieland, Gottlieb Flying Carpet
SS Pinball: GTB Circus, GTB Count-Down, GTB Close Encounters of the Third Kind, Stern Lectronamo, Stern Galaxy, Bally Black Pyramid
foxhound1022
Next-Gen

by foxhound1022 Thu Feb 12, 2015 7:02 pm

Well, I'll post in here since I actually finished a game.

Far Cry 4 (PS3) - Beat all the campaign missions, hunting missions, hostage rescues, assassinations, and eye for an eye missions.

Unlocked all the skills and weapons as well, but still have to get all the masks, lost letters, and journal pages.
Stark
Next-Gen

by Stark Thu Feb 12, 2015 7:10 pm

foxhound1022 wrote:Well, I'll post in here since I actually finished a game.

Far Cry 4 (PS3) - Beat all the campaign missions, hunting missions, hostage rescues, assassinations, and eye for an eye missions.

Unlocked all the skills and weapons as well, but still have to get all the masks, lost letters, and journal pages.

I take it you like it, since you did all that?
Let strength be granted, so the world might be mended...so the world might be mended.
foxhound1022
Next-Gen

by foxhound1022 Thu Feb 12, 2015 7:36 pm

Yeah, I played FC3 but never got around to beating it.

I played off and on with my brother in law on co-op which is cool, but I also thought it made the game too easy to take over compounds and even the fortresses.

Right now I'm at 85.08% complete, and have 55 hrs and 49 min. So it definitely is a game to sink some hours into. Granted, if you just do the story missions outright, you could probably beat it in 20 hrs or less.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Thu Feb 12, 2015 8:59 pm

1. Grandia (PlayStation)
2. Jungle Hunt (Xbox - Taito Legends)
3. Jungle Hunt (Atari 2600)
4. Jungle Hunt (Plug & Play - ColecoVision Flashback)
5. Donkey Kong (Atari 2600)
6. Donkey Kong (Intellivision)
7. Donkey Kong (ColecoVision)
8. Bubble Bobble (NES)
9. Side Arms: Hyper Dyne (PSP - Capcom Classics Collection Remixed)
10. 1941: Counter Attack (PSP - Capcom Classics Collection Remixed)
11. Ys: The Ark of Napishtim (PSP)
12. The Ninja Kids (Xbox - Taito Legends)
13. Neutopia (TurboGrafx-16)
14. Golden Axe Warrior (Xbox 360 - Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection)
15. Phantasy Star Online Ver. 2 (Dreamcast)

Phantasy Star Online Ver. 2 - not to be confused with Phantasy Star II, Phantasy Star Online Episode II, or Phantasy Star Online 2 - is exactly what it sounds like. It's an updated version of Phantasy Star Online, released shortly after the original game. I thoroughly enjoyed my time with PSO last year and wanted to give it another go, without literally playing the same game.

Well, turns out this is almost identical to the original. Some of the changes are (were?) only applicable to online users, such as additional anti-cheating measures. There's also a higher difficulty setting here, as well as a new level cap of 200 (completely insane).

Since I didn't want to sink another 40+ hours of my life into PSO I elected to import my data from the original into Ver. 2 (warning: irreversible!!!). It's not just the character that's transferred, but literally the save itself. This means that when I booted up the game I was fully equipped to head into the final dungeon and take on Dark Falz. I chose not to do this however, and instead leisurely explored each of the four dungeons and did some questing. All said, I sunk about five hours into this.

The game itself? I won't write too much as I went into extensive detail last year - but I will say this: it's brilliant. One of the most immersive and, dare I say, "addictive" games ever developed. You can still get this sealed for less than $15. Don't miss out.
wclem
Next-Gen

by wclem Thu Feb 12, 2015 9:26 pm

1. Resident Evil 4 (PS3) Digital
2. Resident Evil 6 (PS3) Disc Version
3. Dying Light (PS4) Disc Version

Well not a lot to say truthfully. Mirrors Edge meet Survival Horror (or Dead Island). Took 20 hours with my sight seeing included. It was fun to firebomb hoards and trying to out run baddies. Lots of cheap deaths and some extremely tricky first person platforming. Whoever thought first person precision platforming was fun thought wrong. Thankfully the game is forgiving most of the time.

Why they did not let you have the grappling hook right out of the gate puzzles me to no end. Once you get this the platforming is fun. Story is dumb for the most part and the ending boss battles was nothing short of disappointing and really should have been done differently. Final boss=no fight just quick time. WHY?????
dsheinem wrote:In any case, sorry that my avatar makes you cringe these days, but I haven't really changed my posing habits at all.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

by dsheinem Fri Feb 13, 2015 5:38 am

Games Beaten 2015

Theatrhythm Final Fantasy: Curtain Call - 3DS
A Bird Story - PC
Quake - PC
Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare - PS4
Quake: Scourge of Armagon - PC
Quake: Dissolution of Eternity - PC
Mario vs. Donkey Kong 2: March of the Minis - NDS
Painkiller - PC
Gungrave: Overdose - PS2
Adventure -Atari 2600 (PS2)
Auto Racing - Intellivision (PS2) [1979]
Boxing - Atari 2600 (PS2) [1980]
The Count - TI99/4A (emulated) [1981]
Dragonstomper - Atari 2600/Starpath Supercharger (emulated) [1982]
Enduro - Atari 2600 (PS2) [1983]
Diablo III - PS4
Front Line - Atari 2600 (emulated) [1984] *new*
Gertie Goose - The Lost Eggs - C64 (emulated) [1985] *new*

Total: 18

Previously: 2014 | The First 400 Games

Both of these are very short but worth your time.

Front Line is another very good, little known Atari 2600 game that is more or less an early VCS version of a later game like Commando (which came out on the system four years later) or Ikari Warriors (which didn't hit the console until 1989). I looped it by taking out the gun at the top of the screen and kept playing for a while until I ran out of lives, so I am counting it.

Gertie Goose is a goofy C64 game that is a lot of fun. You control Gertie and run around the farm hiding from demon henchmen, collecting eggs and keys, and trying to win the game by collecting more eggs than the Demon King. I cleared it (beat the king) on both the default ("easy") and on "average" difficulties. It is fun to play as a goose. Goat Simulator ain't got nothin' on Gertie.

I am taking a week off from going through my alpha-by-year challenge until the copy of Hydlide (NES) I ordered gets in next week. So far, the challenge has really exposed me to/forced me to choose game that I never would have played and I would strongly encourage everyone to give it a try this year :)
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Fri Feb 13, 2015 9:14 am

Maybe I will Dave. It's an interesting concept for sure.
Return to General Gaming