Games Beaten 2015

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2015

Post by alienjesus »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:
alienjesus wrote:Another 2 for the list - including the first game in my new alphabet marathon!

You're not doing all the A thru Z games back-to-back, right?

I'm starting the next one up as I finish the previous, but I'm playing other stuff alongside.

The next game on my list is Battle of Olympus for NES.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

^ Awesome! I've been meaning to get that for the longest time. Almost ordered it off of eBay today but sprang for Alcahest instead.

BoO is like a $5 game in the US, which is nice.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

January

1) Rollergames
2) Bayou Billy
3) Whomp 'Em
4) Love+ (repeat, B-)
5) Love+ (repeat, B)
6) Zen: Intergalactic Ninja
7) Battletoads & Double Dragon
8 ) Battletoads (repeat, first time with Game Genie, this time using save states, nowhere near legit win... but it was "beaten")
9) Battletoads (repeat, legit, no Game Genie, no continues, no save states!)
10) Rockin' Kats
11) The Little Mermaid
12) Tiny Toons Adventures
13) Tiny Toons Adventures 2
14) Code Name: Viper
15) Bayou Billy (completely legit!)
16) King of Dragons (on Capcom Classics Collection Reloaded)
17) Ninja Gaiden III: The Ancient Ship of Doom
18) Ninja Gaiden II: The Dark Sword of Chaos
19) Ninja Ryuukenden III
20) Treasure of the Rudras

My word, the Japanese version is crazy easy in comparison to the US release. If not for a slip up in 6-2 and running out of time in 7-3, I'd have completed a no death run. Heck, my least favorite spot, 5-1B, has a Art of the Fire Wheel right before it! It's so easy with that.

By the way, Battle of Olympus is one I've always wanted to finish. I just never could get into it. I wonder if I'd love it more than Zelda II if it were the one I actually owned as a kid.

EDIT: Gonna update this post instead of reposting. Beat Treasure of the Rudras (or Rudra No Hihou) last night. It was a pretty decent experience overall, but I think the random battle rate started getting to me towards the end. Just way too high. But it's probably one of Kawazu's most normal games, so most folks should be able to appreciate it.
dust_hound
24-bit

Post by dust_hound »

1) Dead Space Extraction (Wii); January 3
2) Resident Evil 4 (Wii); January 11
3) Disaster: Day of Crisis (Wii); January 13
4) Sin and Punishment: Successor of the Skies (Wii); January 16
5) Shadowrun Returns (Android); January 25

I REALLY liked Shadowrun Returns. Growing up in the late 80s and the 90s, it was this really cool and evocative universe which i'd heard about but never had the opportunity to explore. Even though SR is criticised for being easy and linear, i thoroughly enjoyed the ride. Played it on my Android phone which could barely run it, but i ended up playing on the bus, on the toilet, in bed at night, in my office when nobody was watching... Reading the descriptive text for each scene and the way the characters were described made it feel much more immersive for me than the most realistic graphics or animations ever could. I haven't felt this much enthusiasm to play a game in a LONG time. Even though the campaign is short, i see it more as a virtual playground where you can go through this cool murder-mystery story in an awesomely fleshed-out universe, using different cool builds each time. Looking forward to replaying, but for the moment i've moved on to the sequel.

Having picked up SR on a whim, i then hit up gog.com and grabbed the DRM-Free version of Shadowrun: Dragonfall, which i hear is even better, and have started a new game... See you on the other side, Chummers!
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

Post by BogusMeatFactory »

dust_hound wrote:1) Dead Space Extraction (Wii); January 3
2) Resident Evil 4 (Wii); January 11
3) Disaster: Day of Crisis (Wii); January 13
4) Sin and Punishment: Successor of the Skies (Wii); January 16
5) Shadowrun Returns (Android); January 25

I REALLY liked Shadowrun Returns. Growing up in the late 80s and the 90s, it was this really cool and evocative universe which i'd heard about but never had the opportunity to explore. Even though SR is criticised for being easy and linear, i thoroughly enjoyed the ride. Played it on my Android phone which could barely run it, but i ended up playing on the bus, on the toilet, in bed at night, in my office when nobody was watching... Reading the descriptive text for each scene and the way the characters were described made it feel much more immersive for me than the most realistic graphics or animations ever could. I haven't felt this much enthusiasm to play a game in a LONG time. Even though the campaign is short, i see it more as a virtual playground where you can go through this cool murder-mystery story in an awesomely fleshed-out universe, using different cool builds each time. Looking forward to replaying, but for the moment i've moved on to the sequel.

Having picked up SR on a whim, i then hit up gog.com and grabbed the DRM-Free version of Shadowrun: Dragonfall, which i hear is even better, and have started a new game... See you on the other side, Chummers!

Hey I'm glad you enjoyed Shadowrun Returns! It really was a blast to play! Dragonfall is supposedly vastly superior to the first and a third expansion is on the way set in Japan I believe. Can't wait to see what they come up with and this is a series that I enjoy supporting! Let us know how Dragonfall treats you!
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

Dragonfall is definitely superior to the original; rather than hiring people for each mission you have a team similar to a Bioware game, which means between mission dialogs and some personal quests (in the Director's Cut). I also felt like the mission designs were overall better in Dragonfall.

The next Shadowrun product coming out is Shadowrun Hong Kong, which just made its latest stretch goal on Kickstarter.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
nullPointer
128-bit

Post by nullPointer »

The list so far ...
5. Mega Man (NES/Nestopia v1.40)

Mega Man
Mega Man was the first game that I ever heard about via word of mouth. Bear in mind that this was before the internet, before orchestrated video game advertising campaigns, and largely before journalistic media coverage of console gaming was officially a 'thing' (this would have been somewhere around the time that Nintendo Fun Club was transitioning into Nintendo Power proper). So there I was sitting in 7th grade Algebra class. Two guys with whom I was vaguely familiar were sitting behind me whispering in hushed tones about an NES game. I remember two distinct things about their conversation. The first bit was that they described in detail how an enemy called 'Electric Man' (sic) could be easily defeated using the weapon from 'Scissor Man' (sic). The second bit was that they described this game as being the video game version of The Running Man. If you're not familiar, The Running Man is a 1987 Schwarzenegger flick set in a near future dystopia which features a handful of 'theme based' villains including (but not limited to) 'Subzero' who utilizes ice based attacks, 'Dynamo' with electric powers, and 'Buzzsaw' who … uh … uses a buzzsaw. Had I carried with me then the same sort of gaming knowledge I have now, I would have turned around to inform them that, "Actually, Smash TV is much closer to The Running Man in both plot and theme," which would have likely earned me an atomic wedgie for my troubles. Come to think of it, Smash TV hadn't even been released at the time, so it might have also required a working knowledge of time travel :shock:. At any rate, I left algebra class that day with two urgent directives in mind. 1) Play this 'Mega Man' game as soon as possible and 2) watch The Running Man. Years later Mega Man remains as an iconic timeless classic whereas The Running Man … remains firmly entrenched as a product of its time.

You can't talk about any specific Mega Man game without some mention of the bosses, as that is generally what differentiates individual entries in the series and gives each of them something of a unique character. I would say that the standouts here are Cut Man with his iconic scissor head, Ice Man for basically looking like an Eskimo with no embellishment whatsoever, and of course the Yellow Devil, who would go on to appear in several different incarnations of Dr Wily's castle. Beyond the boss characters, Mega Man also introduced us to one of the most iconic 'small scale' video game enemies of all time, the Met (which, if I'm being completely honest, I only just now learned the name of – I have always referred to them simply as 'hard hats'). So right from the start here at the genesis of Mega Man it was easy to see that the genius of the game (and later of the series as a whole) is built in large part on the strength of its character design.

Unfortunately in hindsight I tend to remember the first Mega Man as being, "that odd one that keeps track of your score". Further I tend to think of the first Mega Man as being the most difficult of the original NES series, while at the same time not having much in the way of interesting tools or mechanics (i.e. no slide attack, no robot pets, no weapon charges, etc.). Unfortunately this sort of retrospective view of the game robs it of its brilliance. In the context of its time, this game was revolutionary. It is Mega Man stripped down to the absolute bare essentials; Zen and the art of Mega Man if you will. And remarkably it still stands the test of time. The controls remain as razor sharp as they ever were, with just a touch of drift. The strategy of exploiting boss weakness is just as compelling as it's ever been, and the open level selection allows you to formulate and experiment with this strategy. It's these core mechanics that have carried the series for years, and it all started here.
Last edited by nullPointer on Wed Apr 22, 2015 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fragems
Next-Gen

Post by Fragems »

1. Injustice Gods Among Us Ultimate Edition(PS4)
2. Infamous First Light(PS4)
3. Drakengard 3(PS3) *Endings 1-4. Ending 5 I watched online due to BS boss.
4. Infamous Second Son(PS4)
5. Thomas Was Alone(PS4)
6. Uncharted Drake's Fortune(PS3) *
7. Uncharted 2 Among Thieves(PS3) *
8. Uncharted 3 Drake's Deception(PS3) *
9. Deadpool(PS3)

Surprisingly I fell in love with this game and played it straight through today :). While gameplay wasn't exactly amazing and I felt the challenge to be lacking I couldn't get enough of Deadpool. Basically Deadpool is the focus of the game and he is calling the shots. The games story is essentially centered around the games development with Deadpool breaking the third wall to bitch at the devs and the players. There are also a ton of retro references with top down dungeon levels, 2d platformers, rail shooting levels, and etc. As well as a bunch of great movie references. Basically this game is a hell of a fun ride and well worth picking up if your into Marvel or just want a game with a twisted yet hilarious sense of humor.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

1. Grandia (PlayStation)
2. Jungle Hunt (Xbox - Taito Legends)
3. Jungle Hunt (Atari 2600)
4. Jungle Hunt (Plug & Play - ColecoVision Flashback)
5. Donkey Kong (Atari 2600)
6. Donkey Kong (Intellivision)
7. Donkey Kong (ColecoVision)
8. Bubble Bobble (NES)
9. Side Arms: Hyper Dyne (PSP - Capcom Classics Collection Remixed)
10. 1941: Counter Attack (PSP - Capcom Classics Collection Remixed)

Played a couple of Capcom shmups during The Blizzard.

Side Arms
I have very little to say about this one.

I think it's probably a poor conversion from the arcade original.

You're a robot type dude who can shoot left and right with two different fire buttons, but it feels strange and awkward. The levels look nice but are dull, and the same enemies are used over and over. Next.

Now this is more like it!

Despite occurring first "chronologically" this is actually the fourth game in the 19XX series.

All of the annoying quirks seen in the previous games are gone. No more timed boss battles. No more dull blue seascapes.

Just huge expansive levels, mechanical monstrosities for bosses, and a kickass OST.

2nd best game of the year so far after Grandia. Now to track down that SuperGrafx port...
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

January

1) Rollergames
2) Bayou Billy
3) Whomp 'Em
4) Love+ (repeat, B-)
5) Love+ (repeat, B)
6) Zen: Intergalactic Ninja
7) Battletoads & Double Dragon
8 ) Battletoads (repeat, first time with Game Genie, this time using save states, nowhere near legit win... but it was "beaten")
9) Battletoads (repeat, legit, no Game Genie, no continues, no save states!)
10) Rockin' Kats
11) The Little Mermaid
12) Tiny Toons Adventures
13) Tiny Toons Adventures 2
14) Code Name: Viper
15) Bayou Billy (completely legit!)
16) King of Dragons (on Capcom Classics Collection Reloaded)
17) Ninja Gaiden III: The Ancient Ship of Doom
18) Ninja Gaiden II: The Dark Sword of Chaos
19) Ninja Ryuukenden III
20) Treasure of the Rudras
21) TMNT: Tournament Fighters (SNES) (repeat)
21) Ninja Gaiden III (SNES)
22) Ninja Gaiden (SNES)
23) Wrath of the Black Manta

So I beat the Trilogy version, and it's not a great port at all. I mean, it's playable, but it just feels so much sketchier all around. And the music is... well, some are alright, but most of them suffer badly in the transition. Also, it tends to miss inputs when the screen gets crowded, and it will get you killed.

I also stupidly booted up Ninja Gaiden. Almost managed to take down the end boss on the second go (one friggin' life block!), but then had about seven bad runs in a row. To say I'm familiar with Act 6 would be an understatement. I even sussed out exactly how to do that evil jump in 6-2 every time (let the sword-tosser back off the screen, jump right off the edge and slash immediately to kill falcon). The music here is pretty bad, too. And when it isn't, it just sounds weak.

Anyway, I did finally beat it, after far too many runs. Stomped the last boss, because I was really, really ticked off at that point, and I focused in. It wasn't even close! As far as I can tell, the difficulty is unchanged from the NES version.

Oh, and TMNT: Tournament Fighters. Shockingly good fighter, and the sprite work is excellent. How did the Genesis version get shafted so badly? Even the NES one is better! (I like the NES version, by the way.)
Last edited by Sarge on Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.