Games Beaten 2015

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Tiduas
16-bit

Re: Games Beaten 2015

Post by Tiduas »

Exhuminator wrote:You might find Trauma Center: New Blood to be very difficult single player, as the game was obviously made to be beaten in co-op. Overall it's a great series, I'd rank them like this:

Little Nemo: The Dream Master is such a good time that although I haven't played through its entirety since circa 1991, I still remember all kinds of things about the game. Especially that damned train level.
[/quote]

Ohh, so "Trauma Center: New Blood" was actually designed to be played in co-op? That made me feel a little better now ;)

Haha, the train level got me many times as well. Since it's the only level without checkpoints it really felt when dying on that one. But that also made the feeling of clearing it even better instead.
My YouTube channel with a focus on mainly retro and indie titles:
https://www.youtube.com/c/Teedyan
Flake

Post by Flake »

1/3: Super Mario Bros 2: Lost Levels (Luigi Run) (3DS VC/NES)
1/4: Super Mario Bros. (Wii / All-Stars)
1/15: Super Mario Galaxy 2 (Wii)
1/20: Super Mario Kart 8 (WiiU)
1/28: Super Mario 3D World (WiiU)
2/15: Luigi's Mansion 2: Dark Moon (3DS)
2/15: Super Mario Land (3DS VC/GB)
2/16: Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins (3DS VC/GB)
3/3: Super Mario Land 3: Wario Land (3DS VC/GB)
3/13: Dragon Ball Xenoverse (PS4)
3/23: Metroid Prime (Wii)
4/18: Metroid Prime 2: Echoes (Wii)
5/3: Metroid Prime 3: Corruption (Wii)
5/10: Donkey Kong Country (WiiU VC/SNES)
5/16: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Hyper Stone Heist (GEN)
5/23: Mario Party 10 (WiiU)
5/25: New Super Mario Bros 2 (3DS)
6/18: Super Mario 3D Land (3DS)
8/9: The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (WiiU VC/SNES)
9/5: The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (Wii)
9/11: The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons (3DS VC/GBC)
10/22: Splatoon (WiiU)
10/27: Street Figher Alpha (Arcade/PS2)
11/3: Super Mario Maker (WiiU)
11/11: Hyrule Warriors (WiiU)
12/4: New Super Mario Bros Wii (Wii)
12/9: Fallout: New Vegas (PC)
12/12: Punch-Out!! (Wii)

Wrapping up a game of Punch-Out I started early this year and then dropped off right at Super Macho Man. Picked it up today and for some reason I was able to wreck the last two boxers with ease. Not sure what happened.

There really isn't much that can be said about any game in the Punch-Out!! series that hasn't already been said. This really is a franchise that would benefit from some more love from big N. If 2016 included a new Punch-Out as well as some Metroid or F-Zero, I'd be really happy.
Maybe now Nintendo will acknowledge Metroid has a fanbase?
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

First 50:

51. Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne - PC
52. Starflight - PC
53. Skies of Arcadia - Dreamcast
54. Aliens versus Predator Classic 2000 - PC
55. Super Star Wars - SNES
56. Shadowrun: Hong Kong - PC
57. Hexen: Deathkings of the Dark Citadel - PC
58. The Catacomb - PC
59. Azure Striker Gunvolt - 3DS
60. Mighty Gunvolt - 3DS
61. Catacomb Abyss - PC
62. Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge - PC
63. Strike Suit Zero - Director's Cut - PC
64. Wolfenstein 3D Spear of Destiny - PC
65. StarCraft - PC
66. Metal Storm - NES
67. Septerra Core - PC
68. Metal Warriors - SNES
69. Zelda II - The Adventure of Link - NES
70. Anachronox - PC
71. Faxanadu - NES
72. Adventures of Lolo - NES
73. Ninja Gaiden 2 - NES
74. Half Minute Hero: The Second Coming - PC
75. Mega Man 5 - NES
76. MechWarrior 3 - PC
77. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - NES
78. Faria - NES
79. Rebel Galaxy - PC
80. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2: The Arcade Game - NES
81. Grim Fandango - PC
82. StarCraft II: Legacy of the Void - PC
83. Fallout 4 - PC
84. Bloodrayne - PC
85. Bloodrayne 2 - PC
86. Catacomb Armageddon - PC
87. This Starry Midnight We Make - PC
88. Shadowrun Dragonfall - Director's Cut - PC
89. Catacomb Apocalypse - PC
90. Super Mario Bros. - NES
91. Tomb Raider Legend - PC
92. Super Mario Bros. 3 - NES
93. Tomb Raider Anniversary - PC
94. Tomb Raider Underworld - PC
95. StarCraft Brood War - PC
96. Ninja Pizza Girl - PC

This was a game I Kickstarted after they were featured in an article on Polygon. I was intrigued by the concept, liked what I saw, and tossed them a few bucks. I did their beta level several months ago but never got around to playing the full game (250+ unbeaten PC games will do that). Decided to rectify that tonight and am glad I did. This was a quite fun little game. It only took me two hours to beat, but it had really tight gameplay and I might go back at some point and work on getting better times.

So the basic premise is amongst the tall buildings of the city the best way to get pizza piping hot and fresh is to deliver it by ninja. The gameplay is a 2D momentum-based platformer, sort of like Mirror's Edge. You have four controls: left, right, jump, and duck. The simplicity makes it very easy to pick up and play, and the game has some fantastic level design. It's similar to what you'd see in a Genesis-era Sonic game; a beginning and an end, but with multiple overlapping paths to get there with one usually taking you to the other if you can't nail all the jumps.

The thing that makes the game unique is the self esteem aspect. Part of what sparked the game was the experience of the dev's daughters in high school, and the game served as a way to talk about themes of bullying and self esteem. Rather than health you have your personal self esteem. But this isn't like how DNF renamed health as Ego. Instead there is a more direct effect on the game. When your self esteem gets low the world turns drab and grey, and the music loses its power. On the flip side, as you nail tricks and do a great run you build up self esteem, and if you get enough the world explodes with color and the music kicks up a notch.

Similary, the enemies are ninjas from a megacorporation (you work for your dad's pizza stand) and are teenagers just like you. So rather than slice you in twain they push you down or throw garbage in your hair, then laugh at you and post pictures on Facebook. Their mocking taunts are a passive drain on your self esteem.

As I mentioned, the gameplay is extremely tight and well done. The story explores some themes that hopefully catch people's eye but it doesn't go off the deep end with it; each point gets sufficient time to be developed but it isn't harped on to make sure it's driven into your skull. I'm glad I was able to help this game exist.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

First 50:

52. Starflight - PC
58. The Catacomb - PC
60. Mighty Gunvolt - 3DS
61. Catacomb Abyss - PC
65. StarCraft - PC
66. Metal Storm - NES
67. Septerra Core - PC
70. Anachronox - PC
71. Faxanadu - NES
73. Ninja Gaiden 2 - NES
75. Mega Man 5 - NES
76. MechWarrior 3 - PC
78. Faria - NES
79. Rebel Galaxy - PC
81. Grim Fandango - PC
83. Fallout 4 - PC
84. Bloodrayne - PC
85. Bloodrayne 2 - PC
97. Borderlands The Pre-Sequel - Claptastic Voyage - PC

Claptastic Voyage is the only story DLC for the Pre-Sequel; apparently they were going to make another before 2K Aus got shuttered. This finishes the bridge between the ending of the Pre-Sequel and the start of Borderlands 2, as well as dropping a minor sequel hook when it's over.

The premise is that after Jack takes over Hyperion he's trying to gain access to all of Hyperion's secrets, but they've been locked inside Claptrap. So you need to dive into his mind in order to get them. Like Assault on Dragon Keep this goes into the more fantastic stuff enabled by being a video game and it makes for a nice change of pace compared to your standard FPS stuff. Sure, you still going around killing a bunch of dudes, but the window dressing is fresh. It also ends with a quite challenging boss fight. The only reason I pulled through was I got a random drop of an amazing Legendary for my build; I'm going Nisha and heavy in the Riflewoman tree. The gun is a Jakobs pistol with one shot in the magazine but super high damage. The flavor is that you get one shot but it really counts, so if you can aim well it's great. Well I had crazy high hip fire accuracy, the auto aiming personal skill, oh, and that talent that increases magazine size by 3. Fun times.

Your enjoyment of this piece of DLC is entirely dependent on how much you like or dislike Claptrap. Since you're inside his mind you are constantly interacting with various incarnations of the character, so if you can't stand him you will find getting through the DLC a chore.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

First 50:

52. Starflight - PC
58. The Catacomb - PC
60. Mighty Gunvolt - 3DS
61. Catacomb Abyss - PC
65. StarCraft - PC
66. Metal Storm - NES
67. Septerra Core - PC
70. Anachronox - PC
71. Faxanadu - NES
73. Ninja Gaiden 2 - NES
75. Mega Man 5 - NES
76. MechWarrior 3 - PC
78. Faria - NES
79. Rebel Galaxy - PC
81. Grim Fandango - PC
83. Fallout 4 - PC
84. Bloodrayne - PC
85. Bloodrayne 2 - PC
97. Borderlands The Pre-Sequel - Claptastic Voyage - PC
98. Duke Nukem Forever - The Doctor Who Cloned Me - PC

I didn't utterly despise DNF and I heard that the DLC was actually a fun experience, so I snagged it last time it was on sale for a buck or two. I'm glad I did. This is what DNF should have been. The gameplay is closer to what you would picture from the phrase "modern Duke Nukem game" and for the most part they don't drive the crude teenager stuff into the ground like DNF did. It's also not too long and doesn't have much in the way of parts that make you go "what the fuck devs, how did you think this was a good time?"

As the title implies, the DLC includes the return of Dr. Proton, Duke's nemesis from his first game. And he creates an army of Dukebots to fight the aliens because he doesn't think Duke can do it himself. Of course, you get to prove him wrong by demolishing his army and then destroying the evil alien queen on the moon. Complete with low gravity moon physics.

If you didn't hate DNF then grab this when next time it goes on sale. It's definitely worth a couple of bucks.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

MrPopo wrote:Your enjoyment of this piece of DLC is entirely dependent on how much you like or dislike Claptrap. Since you're inside his mind you are constantly interacting with various incarnations of the character, so if you can't stand him you will find getting through the DLC a chore.

honestly, I think I enjoyed the DLC more than the game proper. The level of batshit insane made it feel more like a proper follow-up to BL2 than just an expansion. And the story stuff that tied it to BL2 felt more satisfying.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

It was Metal Slug 5, not 6. They kinda run together eventually. It was a lot of fun, though. That puts me to 100, but not 100 unique titles. Not sure I'll make that total before the end of the year. In fact, I'm willing to wager it won't happen unless I hit up a bunch of arcade titles.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

First 50
1. Cut the Rope (3DS)
2. Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction (PS3)
3. Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth (XBOX)
4. Jewel Link Chronicles: Mountains of Madness (NDS)
5. Super Mario 3D World (WIIU)
6. Mario Kart 7 (3DS)
7. Kirby Triple Deluxe (3DS)
8. Gunman Clive (3DS)
9. Child of Light (WIIU)
10. Gunman Clive 2 (3DS)
11. Mighty Switch Force! Hyper Drive Edition (WIIU)
12. Shifting World (3DS)
13. VVVVVV (3DS)
14. Mega Man 9 (PS3)
15. Mighty Switch Force 2 (WIIU)
16. Castle of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse (PS3)
17. Castle Crashers (PS3)
18. Pushmo (3DS)
19. Steamworld Dig (3DS)
20. The Unfinished Swan (PS3)
21. Blaster Master (NES)
22. Samurai Shodown II (NEOGEO/PS2)
23. E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial (2600)
24. Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons (PS3)
25. Shining Force II (GEN)
26. Rayman Legends (WIIU)
27. Gorf (ARCADE)
28. Fairune (3DS)
29. Mighty Gunvolt (3DS)
30. Ikachan (3DS)
31. Block Boy! (3DS)
32. Legend of the Dark Witch (3DS)
33. R-Type Delta (PS1)
34. Half-Life (PS2)
35. Soul of Darkness (3DS)
36. Cubit the Hardcore Platforming Robot (3DS)
37. Alien on the Run (3DS)
38. Bit.Trip Presents...Runner 2: Future Legend of Rhythm Alien (WIIU)
39. Hazumi (3DS)
40. Aaru's Awakening (PS3)
41. Teslagrad (PS3)
42. Monsters (Probably) Stole My Princess (PS3)
43. Year Walk (WIIU)
44. Xeodrifter (3DS)
45. Ittle Dew (WIIU)
46. The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds (3DS)
47. Costume Quest (PS3)
48. Mutant Mudds Deluxe (3DS)
49. Costume Quest: Grubbins on Ice (PS3)
50. Deathsmiles (360)

51. Mario Kart 8 (WIIU)
52. Quell Reflect (3DS)
53. Electronic Super Joy: Groove City (WIIU)
52. Rage of the Gladiator (3DS)
54. Electonic Super Joy (WIIU)
55. Ascent of Kings (WIIU)
56. Little Inferno (WIIU)
57. 50 Pinch Barrage! (3DS)

Little Inferno (Wii U) is really more of a "toy" than a "game" because it has no failure state, score, or time-limit. It does have an ending, however, and I reached it a few days ago. In Little Inferno, you order objects from a catalogue, place them in your Little Inferno Entertainment Fireplace, and burn them. Burning them provides you with more currency, which you can use to buy more items, order more catalogues, and upgrade your item storage capacity. (I am quite certain the game is some sort of commentary on consumerism...) Moreover, every item burns a different way, and combining different items in the firecplace results in "combos" you need to gain access to new catalogues. Despite its relatively simple gameplay, Little Inferno is a very compelling experience, and it kept me entertained for hours. Remarkably, it also has a poignant narrative that is revealed through correspondence you receive from your neighbor, news alerts, etc. Finally, the game - which was developed by the teams behind Henry Hatsworth (DS) and World of Goo (iOS, PC, Wii, etc.) - exudes charm. I recommend it.

50 Pinch Barrage! (3DS) is a budget platform game that has absolutely no right to be as good as it is. In it, you navigate a series of short, but increasingly difficult, platforming challenges (i.e., the titular "pinches"). You character moves a bit like the protagonist in Another World, Flashback, OddWorld, Prince of Persia, and other "cinematic" platformers, and you will need all of his moves and every frame of animation to complete the game. The game starts out moderately difficult, and some of the later "pinches" border on cruelty. Besides a few "I Wanna Be The Guy" moments, however, the game is perfectly fair, and a skilled player could probably traverse the entire thing in a few minutes. It took me just under three hours (and over 500 lives) to beat the game, and online leaderboards encourage you to improve your completion time. Accordingly, a dedicated, competitive player can squeeze a lot of playing time out of this game. I therefore highly recommend 50 Pinch Barrage! - despite its budget aesthetic - to anyone looking for an intriguing platforming challenge.
Last edited by prfsnl_gmr on Wed Dec 30, 2015 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tiduas
16-bit

Post by Tiduas »

prfsnl_gmr wrote:First 50

Little Inferno (Wii U) is really more of a "toy" than a "game" because it has no failure state, score, or time-limit. It does have an ending, however, and I reached it a few days ago. In Little Inferno, you order objects from a catalogue, place them in your Little Inferno Entertainment Fireplace, and burn them. Burning them provides you with more currency, which you can use to buy more items, order more catalogues, and upgrade your item storage capacity. (I am quite certain the game is some sort of commentary on consumerism...) Moreover, every item burns a different way, and combining different items in the firecplace results in "combos" you need to gain access to new catalogues. Despite its relatively simple gameplay, Little Inferno is a very compelling experience, and it kept me entertained for hours. Remarkably, it also has a poignant narrative that is revealed through correspondence you receive from your neighbor, news alerts, etc. Finally, the game - which was developed by the teams behind Henry Hatsworth (DS) and World of Goo (iOS, PC, Wii, etc.) - exudes charm. I recommend it.

It was some years ago that I played Little Inferno but I still remember it as a very fun experience. First time reading about it I was so disappointed since I wanted something more like World of Goo but in the end I'm glad it was different. Didn't know that it was the team behind Henry Hatsworth though, I really should check that one out since I've been hearing nothing but good stuff about it.
My YouTube channel with a focus on mainly retro and indie titles:
https://www.youtube.com/c/Teedyan
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

Tiduas wrote:Didn't know that it was the team behind Henry Hatsworth though, I really should check that one out since I've been hearing nothing but good stuff about it.

It is a really cool game. It make great use of dual screens, and it is a strange - but effective - combination of Castlevania/Ninja Gaiden (NES)-style 2D action platforming and Puzzle League/Tetris Attak-style puzzling. (Also, one of the combos in Little Inferno references it in a clever way. :) )

EDIT: Great avatar, BTW. The Professor Layton series is one of my favorite video game franchises.