Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2015

by Exhuminator Mon Dec 07, 2015 12:46 pm

fastbilly1 wrote:I recommend everyone giving it a go, it is a great way to spend an evening.

LOOM is awesome. It's a truly unique adventure that is as much artistic expression as it is a game. I really enjoyed its plot and characters. It really sucks you into its world. The music based magic and puzzles were a treat.

http://www.gog.com/game/loom
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Blu
Next-Gen

by Blu Mon Dec 07, 2015 5:44 pm

dsheinem wrote:I am sure many of you believe that there is a special section of hell designed for people like me who prefer Sony's Smash Bros. rip-off to the real deal, but I can now say that I enjoy PS All Stars on both the PS3 AND on the Vita more than I have ever enjoyed any previous version of Smash Bros. That said, I do have the new 3DS and Wii U Smash Bros games on the agenda for this month, so I will have to see if Nintendo has "caught up" :twisted: .

Look at Hipster Dave strolling into town on this horse. I say we make fun of him don't you think guys? Let's dogpile him and make him play as Jigglypuff.

(He/She/Ze's my main. A fantastic character.)
marurun

by marurun Mon Dec 07, 2015 11:10 pm

Exhuminator wrote:
fastbilly1 wrote:I recommend everyone giving it a go, it is a great way to spend an evening.

LOOM is awesome. It's a truly unique adventure that is as much artistic expression as it is a game. I really enjoyed its plot and characters. It really sucks you into its world. The music based magic and puzzles were a treat.

http://www.gog.com/game/loom

I third this. In fact, I would argue the TurboGrafx-CD port is one of the better versions of the game. True, the graphics seem to have been based on the EGA version (but touched up a little), but the CD music is great!
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Markies
128-bit

by Markies Mon Dec 07, 2015 11:26 pm

I beat X-Men on the Sega Genesis this evening.

Before I was a teenager, I was a giant X-Men fan. I adored the cartoon on Saturday Mornings and I was just getting into collecting comics. About this time, my friends and I all had Genesis' and a friend of mine had X-Men on it. Well, I borrowed the game and we kind of stopped being friends, so I had a free game.

X-Men on the Genesis...is not really good. The music sounds like a trash compactor. The hit detection is weird. The enemies are cheap and frequent. It's much like the original TMNT where you have 4 characters who act as your lives. The bosses are impossible to hit without taking advantage.

With saying that, this is the first X-Men game that you made you feel like a X-Men. It was great seeing all these characters that I know and loved. This was the best representation of them in the video game. It's not an awful game, but it is not very good at all.
REPO Man
Next-Gen

by REPO Man Tue Dec 08, 2015 7:12 pm

Robot Ninja Haggleman (from Retro Game Challenge for DS), but I used the cheat code where at the game over screen, you hold left and press START to resume on the level you were on, in lieu of the beginning.

Also beat the final boss on RNH2, but I used the level select.

Now I just gotta beat the two Rally King games (hate them!) and Star Prince.

Wish GameCenter CX: Arino no Chōsenjō 2 was officially localized, but at least there's a fan translation (and a few places iirc that sell DS repros).

Hey... if the 3DS eShop can have downloadable 3DS titles, could they also do the same for original DS titles? Maybe they're leaving a 3DS port as an option on the table (which in some ways is a better alternative).
Sarge
Next-Gen

by Sarge Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:28 pm

Retro Game Challenge is one of my favorite games on DS. I think Haggleman 3 really put it over the top.

I like a lot in the sequel, too, but the RPG feels more kludged together than the last time, and the text adventure doesn't have enough flavor in the fan translation to make it interesting. I know it's an homage... but I don't feel it's a very good one.

Wiz-Man is aces, though.
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

by BogusMeatFactory Wed Dec 09, 2015 12:05 am

1. Jazzpunk (PC)
2. Grand Theft Auto: Vice City (PS2)
3. Grandia (PS1)
4. Hotline Miami (PC)
5. Luigi’s Mansion: Dark Moon (3DS)
6. Off-Peak (PC)
7. realMYST: Masterpiece Edition (PC)
8. Puzzle Quest: Challenge of the Warlords (DS)
9. Super Mario 3D Land (3DS)
10. Space Pirates (PC)
11. NiGHTS Into Dreams (PC)
12. Inherit the Earth (PC)
13. Saints Row IV (PC)
14. Grand Theft Auto V (PC)
15. The You Testament (PC)
16. Dark Forces (PC)

17. Ratchet & Clank (PS2)
18. Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons (GBC)19. Gunman Clive (DS)
20. Her Story (PC)

21. Triple Triad (Mobile)
22. Earthbound (WiiU Virtual Console)
23. Mass Effect (PS3)

24. Return to Zork (PC)
25. Castlevania (NES)
26. Mass Effect 2 (PS3)
27. Undertale (PC)

It has been a while since I have updated the list. Beat a few games. Forgive me if I don't give a huge write up for the first games on the list, as the most recent is the most important.

Return to Zork - A beautifully flawed adventure game that predates Myst for its use of Full Motion Video. The game is cheesy, filled with frustrating puzzles and game ending mistakes that you can make early on, but there is something just endearing about the weirdness of the game. Plus, the CD soundtrack is great!

Castlevania - I beat this for the first time. I have had little exposure to the NES, as I was a PC kid at the time and later moved on to the Genesis. I felt like I needed to get this off my list. I loved the game a lot and found it to be very challenging, but not impossible. The toughest obstacle for me was Death himself. The scythes were driving me crazy and one instance, they killed me after I defeated the boss. Not cool. All in all though, the game is deserving of its praise. It really was a lot of fun!

Mass Effect 2 - I am a paragon character in the game and I really enjoyed the revamped combat system and the larger attention to detail with your crew and their interactions. I felt their loyalty missions really helped develop them and it was a joy to play. The main plot, though was... silly... really silly.

Undertale - I just finished Undertale, a charming, heartfelt masterpiece. The plot of the game is simple. You are a human that has mistakenly fell into the world of demons, who have been trapped underground for a very long time. In order to escape, you must reach the gate between the two worlds. There are many different ways you can achieve your goal and how the game progresses reflects your actions. I can not give anything away, but you have to understand that when I enthuse about things, I do so genuinely.

How rare is it that there is a game that rewards compassion and love? You are thrust in a world with endearing characters that you connect with, thanks to their honesty and sheer vibrancy. You feel for everyone around you and there is something rare and special with what is presented to you.

If you have read any comments I've made peppered through the forums about the game, know that the combat mechanics have been likened to a SHMUP, but I really can't say that it is. In combat, you have a heart that you control and you must either avoid or collect objects being thrown at you. The rules on how you do so change based on each enemy and there is something completely refreshing about this and it will always leave you feeling challenged. No two enemies are alike and the combat is always changing in a way that leaves you never bored.

Just know that Undertale is a story about love and it is hard to come away from the game not feeling passionate about everything. It touches you like few games can. Some people play games as an escape and some people fear emotions. Open yourself up to it. You deserve it.
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
MrPopo

by MrPopo Wed Dec 09, 2015 3:20 am

Wooo! Another Castlevania completion! Though the real secret to beating Death is to get there with holy water. Stunlock for days.
Games Beaten: 2015 2016 2017 2018
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
flash1987
24-bit

by flash1987 Wed Dec 09, 2015 4:53 am

I'd forgotten that PS smash thing had ever been released. It faded into obscurity pretty quick. Definitely would like to give it a shot at some point
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Wed Dec 09, 2015 9:29 am

BogusMeatFactory wrote:some people fear emotions

PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Return to General Gaming